Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:47 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
New Product
Walkera M120D01 - Carbon Fiber Frame! **Vid Added**

Okay guys as posted in the D05 thread, here is the rabbit out the hat from Walkera. First off it has a carbon fiber stacked frame and CF tail boom with a metal tail case. It also has a metal main bearing holder and metal canopy mount pins. Its pretty much like a mini T250 type structure. It even has real landing skids with metal skids. It came stock with the lousy new 12000kv outrunner and a new 2616V Rx. The motor sucks but the Rx is perfect. I replaced the the Wk motor with a personal 1S outrunner and now this heli is a little screamer. COG is perfect and it looks really cool. It has a new canopy (the old D02 canopies will not fit) and a real battery tray that will accept the 850mah lipo or a 600mah 2S pack. Nice. There is also enough room up front to add a larger 2S motor to really give this heli some serious 3D punch. As it is right now she flies very solid and balanced. I lightened up the AUW by replacing the stock CF mainblades with foam. It is shaft drive and is much more nimble and the tail is way better than the D05 using the same motor and blade set-up. This is getting closer to the mini T250 we are looking for...

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! Woohoo....
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Last edited by dkfuji; Jan 01, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:23 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
I like this heli alot more than the D05. If all it needs is a better motor and the rx has no bugs than i may just have to pick one of these up when they become available. I would much rather have a TT than a belt drive in this size heli.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:37 PM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Agreed. After flying both, IMO the shaft drive seems to be a better choice in tail authority and weight distribution. I just don't know how they will fix the D05. But this one really doesn't need much more than a motor. Plus it looks very cool I have to say.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:56 PM
Massachusetts
Joined Jun 2008
1,715 Posts
I think I will have to pick one of these up. Any idea on ETA?
ForceFedDSM is offline Find More Posts by ForceFedDSM
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:57 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
I really like the battery tray. Do you have any idea when it will be available to purchase?
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:58 PM
USA, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2006
664 Posts
Is this just a D02 on steroids?
stretch1100 is offline Find More Posts by stretch1100
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:38 AM
Joined Mar 2010
497 Posts
Cool, how much does it weigh? My D02 is really rocking, not sure what advantage this would give me???
helicraze is offline Find More Posts by helicraze
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:23 AM
Inverted Airfield
Iowa
Joined Nov 2009
151 Posts
What? Where did this come from? Do you have pictures of the tail? Is this the same size as a 4g6? What is the auw?
I did a google search of a mini t 250 last night after reading your post, and car parts are the only thing I could find. You must be very good at keeping tight wraps on things. Either that, or I need to figure out what search engine you used to find info on this little heli.
Andy
HeliFax is offline Find More Posts by HeliFax
Old Jan 01, 2011, 01:25 AM
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
LOL... This heli is nowhere to be found in the internet... dkfuji, you sure has a way to get heli source LOL!!!
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:29 AM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thloh85 View Post
LOL... This heli is nowhere to be found in the internet... dkfuji, you sure has a way to get heli source LOL!!!
I am definitley a lucky guy when it comes to this micro heli stuff for sure. It is in fact a beautifully modified D02. The crazy thing is it is made by Walkera!!! It will be available in the U.S. sometime but I really have no idea how soon. I will tell you one thing, it sure flies nice and my vote is for keeping the shaft drive. Its weight efficient and just plain works. The front pinion gear is exposed (as is the crown gear on the main) so its easy to see if you have a stripped gear. The tailboom is CF and there is a nice bearing assy on the front end to keep the transmission very smooth. We'll see how long it takes to get it to production. For now, I am flying her conservatively since there are absolutely no spare parts yet.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:33 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
I am definitley a lucky guy when it comes to this micro heli stuff for sure. It is in fact a beautifully modified D02. The crazy thing is it is made by Walkera!!! It will be available in the U.S. sometime but I really have no idea how soon. I will tell you one thing, it sure flies nice and my vote is for keeping the shaft drive. Its weight efficient and just plain works. The front pinion gear is exposed (as is the crown gear on the main) so its easy to see if you have a stripped gear. The tailboom is CF and there is a nice bearing assy on the front end to keep the transmission very smooth. We'll see how long it takes to get it to production. For now, I am flying her conservatively since there are absolutely no spare parts yet.
Sounds good! I'm looking forward to it =]
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:37 AM
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicraze View Post
Cool, how much does it weigh? My D02 is really rocking, not sure what advantage this would give me???
The AUW including the 850mah pack is 120g. That is over 5g lighter than the D05 and 11g heavier than the D02. The advantage is the frame design. It is much more rigid and it has the room to install a bigger 2S motor and lipo pack. The additional 11g can be overcome by just shear power to get the power to weight ratio equivalent to the T250. How cool would that be? Anyway, I will try and post a vid of it doing some FF flight if the weather holds out over the weekend.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:38 AM
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
Looks like Walkera is gonna suck $$$ outta my pocket, yet again.
Very grateful I got the 2801Pro transmitter instead of DX7...

dkfuji - PLEASE do a flight video, we're dying to see it!!! Hahaha
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:43 AM
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
BTW, 1 comment I have with Walkera's sub micros is that the head block and the main shaft is held by a JESUS PIN. Can't they just replace it with screw?
Old Jan 01, 2011, 03:56 AM
Walkera Club Hungary
Hungary
Joined Jun 2010
42 Posts
Is tail's front gear made of stronger plastic than the 4g6's tail gear?
It's look like same.
steevee is offline Find More Posts by steevee