Old May 27, 2011, 09:31 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxandrews1 View Post
This is a repost:

The recommended power pack setup comes with a 13x4 prop Using this power setup, what is the smallest prop I could safely use?

I'm looking for something shorter so blade strikes will be less prone.

Thanks

A 12x6 would probably be just fine with that motor
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old May 27, 2011, 09:35 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
A 12x6 would probably be just fine with that motor
13" prop would give more pull and less speed, which is better suited for the FC. I recommend staying with the 13x4 for best results. A 1/2" difference in prop clearance will not help much with prop strikes, since the landing gear bends very easily...
crazyj is online now Find More Posts by crazyj
Old May 27, 2011, 09:51 PM
*GRAVITY* I hate it :(
USA, CA, Downey
Joined Jan 2010
433 Posts
kmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Ask around what other folks are using. My turned out terrible. I would not use it again for anything. Ask Prof100 what he used. His turned out excellent. He told me buy whatever it was and I forgot right after I found out that it was not available in this area.
After some looking, I found it, I think. Here is what I should have used. THIS is what Prof100 used on his. Take a look at his blog. It is NICE.

AJ
You might try Kmart I think I saw that paint at Kmart.could save the shipping cost.
Ken
Sparken57 is offline Find More Posts by Sparken57
Old May 27, 2011, 10:08 PM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
United States, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
I got some paint, acrylic enamel deep blue and a can of clear gloss.

AJ: Not impressed with advantage hobby sir, box was open and no manual, hopefully it has all the pieces.
mbreslin is offline Find More Posts by mbreslin
Old May 27, 2011, 10:14 PM
Joined Jan 2007
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxandrews1 View Post
This is a repost:

The recommended power pack setup comes with a 13x4 prop Using this power setup, what is the smallest prop I could safely use?

I'm looking for something shorter so blade strikes will be less prone.

Thanks
The attached chart gives the theoretical volume of air moved by each rev of the prop.

The 12x5, 11x6 or 10x7 would closely match the 13x4. All that said the larger the diameter of the prop, the more pulling power, and the larger the pitch the more speed. The Fun Cub is not a speed plane, so it is best to use the largest diameter that will work with the ground clearance and power available.
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman
Old May 27, 2011, 11:40 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Video Requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
Looks like a fine day to maiden the Fun Cub tomorrow morning.

Aviation Weather Forecast at Greenwood, South Carolina

I'll let you know how it goes.
If is isn't on video, it didn't happen. So, take a video...
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old May 27, 2011, 11:48 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Call in complaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbreslin View Post
I got some paint, acrylic enamel deep blue and a can of clear gloss.

AJ: Not impressed with advantage hobby sir, box was open and no manual, hopefully it has all the pieces.
I am very sorry to hear that. Please accept my apologies. I have done 8 orders with them with 2 EZ*'s, a Radian, a Fun Cub, and the rest in parts orders. I only had one problem with them which is laughable. I kept ordering a blue set of wings for the EZ* and they kept sending me the new silver ones. Well, I bring this up because they sent me a $21 gift certificate for each set and told me keep the ones they sent me as a gift. So, needless to say, I will continue to do business with them. As to your situation, I encourage to call them and complain. I can promise you they will be extremely nice and do whatever is necessary to make it "right" with you. Their reputation is pretty much 5-star with everyone as far as I know. Ask anyone in this or other threads. I hate to hear a bad report from you or anyone else that had a bad experience with a vendor that I believe in so much. Please, Please, call them and see what you can work out.
AJ
P.S. Did you get the brand name "Duplicolor"? Where did you get it from? If so, I would like some feedback on what you think of that paint.
Last edited by ajbaker; May 28, 2011 at 12:25 AM. Reason: typos
Old May 28, 2011, 12:07 AM
I fly lawn darts with wings.
United States, CA, Turlock
Joined Apr 2011
571 Posts
Quote:
Please, Please, call me and see what you can work out with them.
AJ
P.S. Did you get the brand name "Duplicolor"? Where did you get it from? If so, I would like some feedback on what you think of that paint.
I've never called a company to complain in my life, I see dealing with customer service to be another inconvenience on top of whatever else has happened and would never do it. I know this is counter to most people's view of wanting to get what they paid for and so on but I find the money less important than my time which I'd rather spend doing something (just about anything, really) else.

As for the paint there was a lot of duplicolor but it was all acrylic lacquer instead of the recommended enamel, so not wanting to take any chances I went with rustoleum branded acrylic enamel. I painted everything tonight one medium coat of deep blue and a thin coat of clear gloss. We'll see tomorrow in the sunlight if it was enough.
mbreslin is offline Find More Posts by mbreslin
Old May 28, 2011, 12:15 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Color me smooth - please

Quote:

As for the paint there was a lot of duplicolor but it was all acrylic lacquer instead of the recommended enamel, so not wanting to take any chances I went with rustoleum branded acrylic enamel. I painted everything tonight one medium coat of deep blue and a thin coat of clear gloss. We'll see tomorrow in the sunlight if it was enough.
My bet is that it will be just fine. But, Let us know if the wings and fuselage look like alligator skin. Then, we would know to avoid using it. Acrylic and Enamel sound like pretty safe words to me. You (we) will be much smarter tomorrow after the paint is dry. Please post so pictures of the build as it is right now with the pieces/parts painted. TIA.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; May 28, 2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old May 28, 2011, 01:34 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Motor info request

Bill -
What do you think about putting the MD2505 with APC6x4E on the FC. Also, I looked at the specs from Dr. Kiwi on the Grayson Super Mega Jet V2. The specs appear a little better than the MD motor. I am certain the V2 will work great on a Sky Surfer. But a V2 on an FC? Your thoughts?
AJ
Old May 28, 2011, 01:41 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
box was open and no manual, hopefully it has all the pieces.
You can download the manual from here - should be helpful to check whether your kit is complete:

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/cms/vorsc...funcub_5sp.pdf

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old May 28, 2011, 01:45 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
What do you think about putting the MD2505 with APC6x4E on the FC. Also, I looked at the specs from Dr. Kiwi on the Grayson Super Mega Jet V2. The specs appear a little better than the MD motor. I am certain the V2 will work great on a Sky Surfer. But a V2 on an FC? Your thoughts?
AJ
You are joking, right?

Or you are in the wrong thread.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old May 28, 2011, 06:52 AM
Joined Jan 2007
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
You can download the manual from here - should be helpful to check whether your kit is complete:

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/cms/vorsc...funcub_5sp.pdf

Jürgen
http://www.multiplexusa.com/files/FunCubManual.pdf

is English only
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman
Old May 28, 2011, 07:52 AM
Joined Jan 2011
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
Thanks.
Your setup is like mine -
Using a 13x4 APC the Cub will go vertically -INSTANTLY- from a stop in a couple of feet
Fo majority of flying -under 1.2 throttle is fine
You do not want to cruise around at full throttle
This ain't a go plug setup
guy hanson is offline Find More Posts by guy hanson