HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2008, 07:17 AM
Joined Oct 2005
168 Posts
Discussion
UPDATED: Moulded Vector III Slope Aerobatic

Gents,

It's been a long time coming, but finally life and commitments have allowed me out to play with the Vector. Immediate thoughts are:
  • The model is every bit as good as the prototype, but enjoys the added bonus of lighter extremities, meaning that less surface deflection is required across the board.
  • At 2160g auw, the energy and speed of the model is impressive even in modest slope conditions. The heavily ballasted, big-hill experience is next on the wish-list.
  • The bells and whistles of F3X model set-up work well - particularly snap-flap and camber change. I'm yet to find the best CG/deflection setting, but the model seems capable of absorbing a lot of movement.
  • The production model features improved rudder and elevator authority at 100mm CG - further tests are required with a more rearward setting. Spin initiation required a touch of aileron to complement the 30mm rudder and 10mm elevator input.
  • Aileron movements were initially set at 15mm either way, but were found to be excessive, and will be reduced down to 10mm. Further juggling with the flap/aileron mix is required to obtain an axial roll across the entire speed range.
  • With zero differential, crow-braking was superb and entirely controllable throughout the approach. With crow deployed it remained possible to pick up a badly dropped wing at low speed. Adequate braking was achievable without needing to expose the flap knuckle.
  • I've added a couple of additional build pics and a snap of the model at the flying site. Final thanks to Mr H himself who has created a behemoth of an aerobatic design, and remained true to old-skool sensibilities

Cheers

Greg

Thought I'd share my new toy with you. This is the moulded Vector III aerobatic from designer James Hammond. Been a while coming , but I've recently taken delivery of the first production model. Fit and finish is first class, with all components taken from CNC machined moulds.

I've attached pics below, but for those unfamiliar with the design, the span is 2365mm (93"), utilising an SD8020 fully symmetrical section. Weights are as follows:
  • All components (less radio): 1445g
  • Wing Panels: 475g each
  • Tailplane (incl joiner): 80g
  • Joiner: 120g
  • Fuselage: 295g

Wings:
Glass/balsa sandwich with CFK spar and servo well reinforcements. Feels stiff, no doubt aided by the structural benefits of a 10% thick section. Bottom-hinged flap and ailerons, with brass horns fitted.

Tail:
Glass/balsa sandwich with CFK joiners

Fuselage:
Glass/Kevlar/CFK. I asked for a 2.4Ghz friendly fuselage, and was pleased to see that the carbon rovings were kept to the rear of the radio aparture. Remainder is made up of very light glass/kevlar laminates. Boom stiffness is impressive as is the torsional rigidity of the fin. Nicely machined bell-crank bearing.

Joiner:
Substantial affair, that at first glance looks as though it may take rectangular ballast slugs - not that's its likely to be required once the 390mm x 20mm (OD) ballast tube is fitted.

Accessory pack:
Clevises, canopy piano-wire, servo covers, ply radio plate and servo mounts (for Airtronic servos). Looks comprehensive.

In terms of availability, for the UK there are 6x models currently on order and scheduled for delivery at the close of 2008 - available from www.sloperacer.co.uk I'm told that the price will be circa 320GBP.

I'll post again once I've committed it to the air....

Edit: Couple of pics of the original added.

Regards,

Greg
Greg Dakin is offline Find More Posts by Greg Dakin
Last edited by Greg Dakin; May 04, 2009 at 01:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2008, 07:42 AM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,217 Posts
Looks sweet. Joiner bar looks nice and beefy too
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old Nov 22, 2008, 07:58 AM
Go fast, turn hard
Berkshire, England
Joined Aug 2006
1,202 Posts
Greg,
Did it come with the storage bags or were those extra?

Nice looking model.

Cheers,
Paul
Tailslide UK is offline Find More Posts by Tailslide UK
Old Nov 22, 2008, 08:06 AM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
Are you missing your old bagged one?
I think she's missing you.........

Something to do with the ammount of abuse she's had since you said goodbye versus the ammount of abuse she had in the last few years....

Be interesting to compare energy retention.......(eventually...)
Still, I bet she's glad to be out of 'Ginger snaps' hands.
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Nov 22, 2008, 08:13 AM
Joined Oct 2005
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailslide UK
Greg,
Did it come with the storage bags or were those extra?

Nice looking model.

Cheers,
Paul
Thanks Paul, the bags came with mine as standard.

Cheers

Greg
Old Nov 22, 2008, 08:18 AM
Joined Oct 2005
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopetrashuk
Are you missing your old bagged one?
I think she's missing you.........

Something to do with the ammount of abuse she's had since you said goodbye versus the ammount of abuse she had in the last few years....

Be interesting to compare energy retention.......(eventually...)
Still, I bet she's glad to be out of 'Ginger snaps' hands.
I am missing the old gal - she served me well ;-)

Abuse? Now you know me better than that -its not something that I condone ......but that ballast tube is just asking to be filled

Happy to embark on a comparitive analysis at the Orme or Bwlch

Good luck with the maiden.

Greg
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:26 AM
Go fast, turn hard
Berkshire, England
Joined Aug 2006
1,202 Posts
Do they all have your name on the wing? Even the one on the website does.

Paul
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:40 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,921 Posts
It's seems from your comments (and from other "insiders") that there is an interesting history to this model. Any chance of giving late-comers some insight into her development?
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:52 AM
Go fast, turn hard
Berkshire, England
Joined Aug 2006
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanscho
It's seems from your comments (and from other "insiders") that there is an interesting history to this model. Any chance of giving late-comers some insight into her development?
Long and sordid.

The designer/maker posted on various exchanges and started a waiting list for the what was to be the ultimate aerobatic model (the vector). Then all went quiet. It would come up about once every 6 months and all kinds of reasons would be given as to why things where not progressing. This went on for about 2 years (I think).

It is good to see that something finally got made. However, the price is about 2X what was originally talked about. At 320, the fit and finish will need to be perfect. I may well buy one and I shot a message off to Ian about it. But if the fit and finish are not perfect, it will go back.

It is a bit different animal to the Wasabi. But it will have to go a ways to out fly it.

My 2p. I am sure otheres know more about the history of the model. It looks like the glass version has been out awhile, so I obviously don't know the whole story.

Tailslide
Old Nov 22, 2008, 09:58 AM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Dakin
I am missing the old gal - she served me well ;-)

Abuse? Now you know me better than that -its not something that I condone ......but that ballast tube is just asking to be filled

Happy to embark on a comparitive analysis at the Orme or Bwlch

Good luck with the maiden.

Greg
Oh that day has been and gone mate.

Quite different to the wasabi but the excellent negative elevator is similar.
Can't do some of those moves with your average f3x machine.......
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:46 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
This is the old Vector originally offered by Jim Hammond's Slopeblasters and manufactured by RCRCM which was originally known as Zoom Model in China. It's nice to see that they are finally producing and shipping the model after many years of promises.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Nov 22, 2008, 11:53 AM
He who dares ... repairs!
Joined Jun 2005
674 Posts
Hi Greg,

Nice looking model, will we be seeing it soon at Burrough or Curbar ?

I remember your original Vector entertaining everyone on the SW face of Burrough Hill a few years back with some quality precision aerobatics rarely seen on this rather small Leicestershire Hill

Steve

PS Have you seen skipmillermodels' site? He has a few more pictures of your model

Hobster is offline Find More Posts by Hobster
Last edited by Hobster; Nov 22, 2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 01:40 PM
Joined Oct 2005
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobster
Hi Greg,

Nice looking model, will we be seeing it soon at Burrough or Curbar ?

I remember your original Vector entertaining everyone on the SW face of Burrough Hill a few years back with some quality precision aerobatics rarely seen on this rather small Leicestershire Hill

Steve
Hi there Steve - nice to hear from you. Well, for certain I'll be getting as much air time in as possible with the model, so hopefully we'll bump in to one another along the way!

Goodness me, those early flights with the original Vector at Burrough are a dim and distant memory - great fun though, from what I recall.

BTW thanks for the tip-off regarding Skip Miller models - I hadn't realised that the model was being marketed across the Atlantic. Nice to hear that it'll be made available for the US guys!

All the best.

Greg
Old Nov 22, 2008, 05:15 PM
isoaritfirst
Not a Brummie/but close
Joined Sep 2005
1,403 Posts
That looks very nice Greg -- Always liked the way the old one flew - proper controlled aeros - non of this bang the stick and hope stuff that seems more prevelent these days.

I was very suprised that they spelt you name wrong though -- guess it got a bit lost in the translation.
isoaritfirst is offline Find More Posts by isoaritfirst
Old Nov 22, 2008, 05:21 PM
Joined Oct 2004
928 Posts
Will be available in Australia as well. First models should arrive mid December.

Just curious Greg, first reports mentioned the span of 2.6m but you mention 2.7m. Not a big issue but nice to be clear.

Andrew
laanguy is offline Find More Posts by laanguy