SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 27, 2008, 04:19 AM
Joined Oct 2007
40 Posts
Discussion
Hanno Prettner Calypso 60

Hi all,
Recently, Ive got my hands on a Calypso 60.Bought it 2nd hand from an expert flier and the plane condition was superb.Its powered with a Saito Fa82.Being the first time for me to fly a F3A plane, I'm quite worried as how the plane characters during the maiden flight. Can someone help me on the elevator and aleron throws required for this plane. The elevator and aleron strips are very narrow, similar to the Cap 21 that I crash quite some time ago.Any difficulties in landing this beauty? Any inputs will be very much appreciated
razzie is offline Find More Posts by razzie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2008, 06:17 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,117 Posts

Figured you might enjoy that.

I cant find any throw information on it...so I dont know.
Bryan Davison is offline Find More Posts by Bryan Davison
Old Mar 29, 2008, 06:17 PM
Joined Feb 2007
25 Posts
There were a few different manufacturers of Calypso's...I have a copy ot the ModelTech Calypso 60 manual if that helps...It doesn't call out any specific control throws...Just basically says adjust to "personal taste"...

ModelTech Calypso 60 manual (ARC):
http://maxupload.com/EFAB9EB9

(to download look for button towards bottom of screen...Must wait 10seconds for it to count down)

Have Fun...

Chuck
navav2002 is offline Find More Posts by navav2002
Old Apr 01, 2008, 12:18 PM
Inman, South Carolina
Joined Jan 2008
15 Posts
Razzle, I have one with a Hanno special. The plane is a hoot to fly and tracks really well. Not overly touchy and no bad habits. Take off and flying are a non issue. If the landing gear has the brakes on them, LEAVE THEM ON! If they are missing, you would be well advised to find a picture of them and fabricate them. The plane was a HUGE departure from the complex pattern planes that were the heat back then. Variable pitch,speed brakes,tricycle gear, mixture adjustments etc.

Hanno went super simple with this plane and pretty much sent the message that all the bells and whistles won't beat simple planes with a great pilot. This was back when speed was an advantage. As such, this thing is a slippery rascal that is tough to slow down. I thought the plates on the gear were silly and threw them away, wish I didn't! Don't get me wrong, it is well behaved when slow, but getting it slow takes some work.

I'll bet dollars to rocks even with the plates you'll need two approaches! Again, it's a pussy cat at slow flight, just getting it slow is the fun part. Start early getting the speed down and as you learn the plane you'll be confident it won't bite you. Can't wait to hear your first flight report! You'll love the plane I'm sure.
Bob_Sadler is offline Find More Posts by Bob_Sadler
Old Apr 02, 2008, 08:22 AM
Joined Oct 2007
40 Posts
Thanks for all the inputs. I maiden the calypso last sun(30/3).The turns was a bit slow coz probably the alerons throw was too little. With a saito 82 and Mas 146, the plane was relatively slow. Decided to land the bird after 2 turns and landing was really hot.There were no brakes on the landing gears and the plane took quite a while on the tarmac before it came to a stop without any headwind.Used the APC 138 with a max prop rpm of 9800 on the 2nd flight and what a difference. I had more prop clearance and speed.It flew much better after adding more elevator and aleron throws.

But, there are still two issues that has not been resolved. Firstly, there was a loss of torque and manuvering loops more like an oval shape. Whats the best prop for the calypso since it weighs 3.4kgs. Secondly, landing was a breeze since the plane could actually "float" before landing. But getting it to stop was a challenge as it still took quite a distance to come to a halt. How can I find a picture and fabricate the brakes
Old Apr 20, 2008, 05:19 PM
Joined Nov 2007
26 Posts
Razzie,

The brakes mentioned are air brakes. Look closely at the picture, in post #2, and notice the flat plates attached to the landing gear legs. With the gear retracted they are in the wing with the gear. When the gear is down/out, the flat plates are facing the airstream and act to increase drag slowing the plane somewhat.

You could also try increasing the friction between the wheels and axle to help slow the plane down on roll out.

My old mono gear MT Calypso has an old style OS 90-4C w/ APC 13~9 prop and although not fast, I like it fine. Don't remember right now what the rpms are but it has unlimited vertical at 6.75 pounds. As stated earlier the plane handles well even when slowed down.

Terry in LP
frugalme is offline Find More Posts by frugalme
Old Apr 21, 2008, 08:26 AM
New Jersey, USA
Joined Mar 2008
298 Posts
Ah the good ol' days of AMA pattern! I had a Calypso, and loved it. It was the first pattern ship that I built myself as a 16 year old kid. As I recall it worked great.

Enjoy!
gmohr is offline Find More Posts by gmohr
Old Apr 21, 2008, 08:41 AM
Southwest Missouri
Joined Oct 2002
1,354 Posts
After watching Hanno fly in Nevada, I switched to Mode-1 for pattern flying. Flew his Curare design done in fiberglass and foam kit in pattern for two seasons. Loved that plane.

Had an all wood Calypso. Nice easy flier with YS 60 and pipe.
mode1 is offline Find More Posts by mode1
Old Apr 22, 2008, 07:07 AM
Joined Oct 2007
40 Posts
Flew the Calypso60 last sun again.Insert a fuel tubing on the landing gear to make the tyres roll more slower. Installed 2 aileron servos so that I can use the flaperon functions. Both does really helps alot. Using a APC 13.5x9 and I was surprised that I got a max rpm of 9000 on the Fa82a.Ailerons and elevator was set at 12mm deflection on the high rates.Ive got to say that it flies much better with this setup. I have never flown a F3A plane before, so cant really make any comparison. But flying the Calypso60 was really enjoyable and it also looks scale with the retracts up I will indeed be flying this beautiful plane on my weekend flying sessions.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:03 PM
USA, MD, Waldorf
Joined Apr 2009
27 Posts
Here is my CALYSPO with an enya 60x

Enjoy

CALYPSO RC plane Flying with Enya 60X Tuned Pipe Darryl (7 min 2 sec)

Great plane!
victoriad is offline Find More Posts by victoriad