SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:23 PM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
I need an exorcist, or how the raptor is trying to kill me

I know a bunch of you have been following my recent e-raptor dramas, and now the story sadly continues. I'm now 3 trips to the hobby store, and 2 orders from ron into rebuilding this puppy. I've dished out the dough for a new quick uk head, and a bunch of other goodies, and spend tweaking everything, balancing everything I could think of. Finally, I get it done, programmed on my radio, set to go. As per all my heli's, I first take off the main blades, and do a range check, motor off, and then motor on, and check failsafe settings. I personally run a rubber ducky antenna, and when I was maybe 40 feet away i went into failsafe, but with the antenna actually attached, I was able to walk farth enough away motor off that I could barely see the paddles period, but I could just barely tell my movements. motor on was similar, although a tad less range, but enough that I'd never be capable of flying the heli that far from me, anyway ( i have to move the antenna which should increse range a tad, also). as I'm walking back, motor on, seeing if antenna angles play into glitches or anything, I see my heli hop forward maybe 6 inchs, and think, what the. I shut the motor down, and walk to the heli, and see my main grips and spindle gone!!! I look around, and amazingly find 1 grip by itself, and 1 grip with the spindle still through it, both within about a 20 foot circle. luckily I was not close. I lock tited these babies, but I think I was not using the proper spacers between the grips and the head block, and so they were locktited, but not screwed in all the way? I was luckily I hurt no one, and that I did a good check before I threw my blades on. then this would be a much much worse story. I have to place yet another order at ricks....

thanks for reading about my seemingly never ending drama... this weeks sequel of how my raptor is driving me insane.

Rhett
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:41 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,215 Posts
Post pictures of your helicopter(take enough so that we can see just about everything in good detail), it will make it a lot easer to help.

Carlo
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
Old Oct 25, 2005, 01:47 PM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
Well, I'm not really looking for help. i just placed an order for parts. my heli looks like any other blinged out raptor, blue quick uk head, xero-g frame, joker carbon landing gear, carbon stab and vertical tail... I just seem to be having issue after issue. I'm getting closer and closer. I should be golden after this most recent order.

Rhett
Old Oct 25, 2005, 02:33 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,215 Posts
Oh ok.

I really like my E Raptor, its been very good to me(knock on wood). It's not as blinged out as yours(check my gallery if your interested), but it's a lot of fun.

Anyways, good luck with yours.

Carlo
Old Oct 25, 2005, 02:54 PM
ElektroRC.com - MSH,LAHeli,YGE
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,606 Posts
Carlo, Glad to hear you are enjoying the Rappy. All the testing, experimentation and frusteration went into my other one, when I got it to where I liked it, I duplicated it into yours. A local friend now owns the original so I still frequently get to visit and fly her I would like to see how your batteries fit into it though..

Rhett, sorry dude, I don't know of a good exorcist in your area, maybe it's just that time of year and it will go away on 11/1!

-eP
pwkpete is offline Find More Posts by pwkpete
Old Oct 25, 2005, 03:06 PM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
My raptor flew so wonderfully, for the past what...5 months, including making the trip from cali-connecticut back to cali again. For some reason, in trying to rebuild after this first crash ( first raptor crash), i buy 5 parts, only to see 3 not work, 1 break, and realize I need 5 more. oh well, once it's back together it will fly wonderfull again.

Rhett
Old Oct 25, 2005, 03:11 PM
RC-Nut-Job!
New York
Joined Jul 2001
970 Posts
Heli are the ONLY thing worse then women......
Lv2Fly is offline Find More Posts by Lv2Fly
Old Oct 25, 2005, 03:17 PM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,606 Posts
I hate to disagree, but it's easier to fix a heli than it is a woman

Top 10 reasons why helis are better than women:
-Old or worn out parts are easy to replace!
-Your heli won't get jealous if your friend lets you fly his!
-You can have more than one heli!

I could go on, but those alone should be enough!

-eP
Old Oct 25, 2005, 03:21 PM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
But, my girlfriend helps me clean my apartment, and cooks me delicious food ( i love cooking though too)... and my heli seems to make a mess. actually, heli's and woman are similar, I can't afford to have more then one of either.

Rhett
Old Oct 25, 2005, 03:31 PM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,606 Posts
If you are out flying your heli more you won't be in your apartment long enough to mess it up!

But of course, there is always the other side of the top 10 list, in this case:
Top 10 ways helis and women are the same
#1 Both are expensive

I don't think there is a list of why women are better than helis, unless you ask a woman, bet you could also get a list of why helis are better than men too

For some reason, it feels like a Friday!

-eP
Old Oct 25, 2005, 04:28 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,215 Posts
Hey all

Pete, here are some pics of my E Raptor that show the packs mounted. 2 velcro straps hold the packs in nice and tight.

http://static.rcgroups.com/gallery/d...85DSC02454.jpg

Carlo
Old Oct 25, 2005, 04:42 PM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
yep , sounds like you in over your head with that spendy rappy , you have more in it than both of my Ions
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Oct 25, 2005, 04:44 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,433 Posts
Rhett, when I was in college, I didn't even have time to go to a movie!

You must manage your time very well to fly so often.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:34 PM
Pewaukee, WI, USA
Joined Mar 2002
4,606 Posts
Awesome Carlo, those fit perfect, did you end up making a mounting plate to attach to the aluminum standoff?

-eP
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:49 PM
Joined Jun 2001
2,215 Posts
Hey Pete

Na I just slid in the pack and put one velcro strap over the packs(passed it under the bottom aluminum standoff but over the landing gear) and one around the packs(passed behind the strap behind the front rear section of the front "leg" of the frame). The top pack braces its self on the motor mount. I was worried about it when I first though about it but when I did it I found that the packs were held in nice and snug, enough so that it doesnt move at all when I 3D the heli.

Carlo