SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2014, 01:09 AM
El Cajon, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
801 Posts
Question
Can I mix brands in series?

I'm currently flying my helicopter on 12s. I've got two pairs of 6s packs I regularly fly together but over the years I've got a few different brand packs that never had a mate or lost it due to a crash. I'd love to use some of the orphan packs with a different brand pack.

While flying I was planning to diligently check both packs in order to make sure the weaker one wasn't over discharged. For example....I'd fly them and when the lower of the two packs had 3.75 volts per cell resting I'd stop.

I understand this isn't ideal because it leaves a little capacity unused in the higher pack but if I'm not worried about that extra 15-30 seconds is it a problem?

For example, Ive got a one year old Thunderpower 5000 mah 45c pack with about 20 flights on it. I'd like to purchase a brand new gens ace 5000 65c pack to be it's companion. Assuming I don't over discharge one of the packs is this possible?
Munch is offline Find More Posts by Munch
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2014, 03:19 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,383 Posts
It's possible but not ideal, particularly when not only the brand but the specification (45C vs 65C) are different.

If the current you need is well below the theoretical max. of each pack and you always fly shortish timed flights and check as carefully as you suggest you should get away with it though.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:40 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,278 Posts
It is ok as long as you do not exceed neither current nor capacity ratings of the weakest pack.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Aug 18, 2014, 05:52 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
472 Posts
The brand doesn't really matter, but you do want to make sure the packs are reasonably well matched electrically. I would test each pack under a known load and note the voltage sag. Make a list and match pairs with the most similar sag.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Aug 19, 2014, 01:12 AM
El Cajon, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
801 Posts
Great information gentlemen. Thanks so much.

I was at first concerned about making the C ratings match similar to ensuring the mah matched....but then I was thinking about just how arbitrary the rating really is and how certain manufacturers really flub their numbers.

I appreciate the input. I think I'll try to see if I can't match IR, try to match the pairs the best, and then monitor them for a while like Julez said making sure I don't exceed a specification of the packs.

Thanks again guys.
Munch is offline Find More Posts by Munch