HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:03 AM
Joined Aug 2007
18 Posts
Discussion
First 'Proper' DLG advise wanted please

Hi All

Back into flying RC after a big lay off designing, building, flying free flight comp models.
I've got an ELF & Libelle which has got the rusty thumbs back up to speed a bit and now looking for a DLG.
My thought process at the minute is that I don't want something that's going to really task my flying ability (or lack of it!) as I get back into this. My thoughts on models are the Topsky 2, Topsky 3 Disser, PCM's Rookie or a Blaster 3. Whatever it is, or alternative, it needs to be light and built down to sub 10 ozs with zero ballast to achieve, I want to just use suitable RC gear to do this. Complicated build don't pose a problem with my back ground. I do like the looks of the Rookie as it's something I can get my teeth into but is it suitable for the stage I'm at? Any and all advise appreciated.

Tony
tctele is offline Find More Posts by tctele
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:04 PM
Hamburg, GER
Joined Sep 2009
211 Posts
The price of a Blaster (3) got bumped up significantly lately. Of all three it's still the easiest build though... Besides a few other DLG's I also own a Rookie and can highly recommend it. It's not a launch monster compared to other top competition ships but in my experience it finds lift almost itself, is very manoeuvrable and durable. I also like the looks a lot - in times of full carbon it has some kind of classy look but is not old school. Of course it not the newest design but still serves me well as an an all purpose DLG.
Jenne is offline Find More Posts by Jenne
Old Aug 13, 2014, 08:06 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,729 Posts
The Neo or Zen would be good choices and you'll find them here.

http://flightcomp.com/

The other that comes to mind is the Arrow 5 and can be found here.

http://www.pacificgliderworks.com/
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Aug 13, 2014, 09:28 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,452 Posts
Blasters are far and away the best first serious DLG. They are not the cheapest but you won't be unhappy with it... I loved mine and I've never talked to anyone that had one that didn't feel the same way. You might not see the top guys buying them anymore but it's a very capable plane and the perfect stepping stone at your stage of DLG flying, IMHO.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Aug 14, 2014, 07:15 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,415 Posts
Tony:

I agree with Mr. Wiz, that the Blaster 3 is a fine DLG for some one already able to launch and fly. The difference between the B3 and the Libelle will leave you amazed.

I've had Seba's products, though neither a Neo or Zen. However, Seba's products are first-rate, and I would only expect the best from him.

Check out www.Soaring.usa They market an airplane called a Dart that I have experience with. It turned out to be well-designed, excellent fit-and-finish, rigid and rugged. Good value for sure.

Good luck.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Aug 14, 2014, 07:43 AM
sticks2sticks
United States, CA, Yreka
Joined Oct 2011
309 Posts
Arrow 5 has my vote. Durable and flies excellent. Easy to see with the color scheme.
mgallian is offline Find More Posts by mgallian
Old Aug 14, 2014, 08:50 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
2,232 Posts
I see you want a 9 oz plane? That's not a bad goal for light morning air. A blaster wing is fragile. Maybe your rc skills are up to the risks of a full price new ship. But consider used and 10 oz at half price RTF. Then go for your top ship. These are exciting times as to all the DLG's that are now available, compared to 14 months ago. Waiting 6 months may open up several new ship options
elkski is offline Find More Posts by elkski
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:24 AM
Joined Aug 2007
18 Posts
Thanks everyone certainly food for thought, if I had the bucks I'd buy them all lol decisions decisions decisions and a slightly off topic question. As I make, or did until recently, carbon FF models are vac bagged glass carbon foam wings exceptable these days or would I have to go down the CNC route. I know what I'm like once I get the bug I'll design my own!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:37 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,452 Posts
Just to add a little more info on the Blaster recommendation I made above. The Blaster is now into version 3.5. As such, it only comes with a full spread tow wing which is not overly fragile like the B3 glass wing was. Also it comes with the same tails that are on the Snipe which is a big improvement. I have a friend that just got a B3.5 after flying a Neo and a Valodol and I know he really likes his Blaster 3.5. It truly is a great plane!
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Aug 14, 2014, 01:06 PM
rug
Matt Cook
United Kingdom, New Mills
Joined Feb 2014
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tctele View Post
... are vac bagged glass carbon foam wings exceptable these days or would I have to go down the CNC route.
I think that bagged wings are not so trendy, but if you look at the Arrows 5 thread you will find a lot of enthusiasm for just such an 'old school' DLG. If that's where you're building skill lies, then if I were in your position I would be looking at building wings and tails for myself. Fuselages too.

Go for it !

Matt
rug is online now Find More Posts by rug
Old Aug 14, 2014, 01:08 PM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined May 2013
2,232 Posts
buy one of Eitan fuses and bag a wing and tails.... making and flying my own DLG is on my bucket list. And just imagine how Joe W feels with the success of his baby.
elkski is offline Find More Posts by elkski
Old Aug 15, 2014, 04:38 AM
Joined Aug 2007
18 Posts
Thanks everyone. I can certainly make wings and tail feathers vac bagged with foam, rohacell, balsa, glass, carbon, hybrid materials etc, used to doing this. I have about 4000 airfoils but mainly FF. I have all the AG series but not the latest DLG ones knocking about so if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be good. I have X Foil as well, Profili Pro, Compufoil and CAD programmes. I haven't a clue what RE DLG's run at or what new wing foils work including the tail feathers, I use assymetic tail feathers on some of my FF models so I get all of this. Buying in a fuselage is a good idea though. I suppose the quick learning route would simply be to copy a current model and then go on from there. That's what most of us do anyway I guess, well I do and then adapt it!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 07:54 AM
Joined Aug 2007
18 Posts
Hi again. I'm probably going to go with Topsky 2 or 3 Disser. Cost isn't a factor it's just that I want to try a few things so advise appreciated.

Which ever variant I choose it needs to lose weight. I intend to use RC gear to achieve the correct CG with no ballast. Here are some details of my plan so far so please chirp in:

Hyperion servos all round. DS09, but which ones the SCD or SMD? Lipo RX pack with regulator.
Top drive aileron flap linkage, cleaner aerodynamics
Torsion spring and thread rudder elevator linkages. Can the Topsky tail feathers take the strain or do I need to make replacements. The latter isn't a problem. If so does anyone know the airfoils. Also are the servo's appropriate.
Shorten the boom. But by what length as the build threads suggest quite a few.
Is the boom stiff enough? If not I have two choices, reinforce with tow or roll my own.

I want zero or minimum slop in all linkages

I can't find much details about appropriate CG's with a shorter boom or what control setup's everyone is using. Launch, camber, flap etc

Tony
Old Aug 15, 2014, 08:39 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined May 2004
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Blasters are far and away the best first serious DLG. They are not the cheapest but you won't be unhappy with it... I loved mine and I've never talked to anyone that had one that didn't feel the same way. You might not see the top guys buying them anymore but it's a very capable plane and the perfect stepping stone at your stage of DLG flying, IMHO.
By far, the blaster 3! Someone mentioned that the price went up. It did, but only because the wing is now full spread tow carbon. So it's basically the blaster 3st now, and I believe the blaster 3st has always been about $500.
The blaster is just way too easy to build and flies too darn good not to put it at the top of your list.
Bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by Bodywerks
Old Aug 15, 2014, 09:09 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,729 Posts
You may have a problem using the ds09 in the fuse. They may not fit. Look for other servos like the jr 285 or HS 5045 or the futaba 3114. The blaster is based on the AG airfoils and most others are zone 2 based airfoils. If you want a floater get the Blaster. If you want a DLG that can range far get a zone 2. The topsky is a very good start. No problem getting slop free controls if done right. Getting the weight under 290 will be difficult unless you go rudderless.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Last edited by davidjensen; Aug 15, 2014 at 09:16 AM.