HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2014, 11:14 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,313 Posts
Discussion
FrSky Taranis with OpenTX 2.0 and beyond

OpenTX 2.0.8 is now available! It's the most stable 2.0 version yet! (but be sure you see a summary of Kilrah's Warning in post #3 (whole post in post 3167)

This thread is for the purpose of discussing the use of OpenTx 2.0 on the FrSky Taranis. This thread is only for asking and answering questions about FrSky Taranis with OpenTX 2.0 (or beyond) or for posting neat ideas you have with the use of OpenTx 2.0.
  • It's not for hardware issues or mods - except as they pertain to the Firmware OpenTX 2.0 (and beyond).
  • It's not for comparing with other brands.
  • It's not for users who don't want to update their software to the most recent stable version.

Let's be civil and have a great time learning about this revolutionary new Firmware. Especially good explanatory posts or ideas will be included in the second post below. Users who go to great lengths to help others will be recognized in the Hall of Fame.

NOW OPEN - OpenTX Univeristy
OpenTX University is a site built by OpenTx users who want to help share their knowledge. Please check out this exciting resource - and if you've got the chops perhaps you can contribute as well. Welcome to "A Brave New World"
Tuition Special : Free for the first 100,000 registered.

So where do you post hardware or hack questions or ideas or have general Taranis/OpenTx conversation? Check out these threads:

Start Here http://www.open-tx.org/downloads.html

Read Here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...QCN25RQGA/edit

Show the Developers some ♥♥♥Love HERE♥♥♥. These dudes built this awesome software on their own time when they could have been doing a zillion other things - but they were making our radio even better.

If you'll be setting up models in the transmitter rather than using CompanionTX then the Transmitter Script wizard may exciting to you. See http://www.open-tx.org/2014/06/02/lua-wizard/

NEW: June 23, 2014
  • My version of the MicroSD card image is available HERE (updated 6/29/14 - now has LUA folders set for 2.0.3 and later)
  • FrSky's version of the SD card Contents is available HERE (updated 6/9/14)
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by scott page; Aug 04, 2014 at 01:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Joined May 2009
6,313 Posts
Table of Contents for noteable posts

Please feel free to PM me to submit posts you think should be included here

LUA Scripts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by scott page; Aug 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM.
Joined May 2009
6,313 Posts
Hall of Fame

CLICK HERE to see the Hall of Fame.

Here is a warning about changing the firmware that comes standard in your Taranis.

This was written by Kilrah on July 23, 2014 at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3167

Kilrah is one of the firmware developers for OpenTX.

(OpenTX 2.0) "should NOT be considered the standard, rather something pretty advanced users who know what they're doing do when they either want to test, want to be on the bleeding edge, or are willing to give up some stability because some latest feature is really worth it to them."
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by scott page; Jul 23, 2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2014, 11:37 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,872 Posts
Grabbing a seat up front.
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Jun 02, 2014, 11:41 PM
United States, CA, Yuba City
Joined Jan 2014
489 Posts
So now with 2.0 released the 6 pos switch and heptic should work as intended correct?
harpo is offline Find More Posts by harpo
Old Jun 02, 2014, 11:43 PM
Joined May 2009
6,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo View Post
So now with 2.0 released the 6 pos switch and heptic should work as intended correct?
That remains to be seen. I have not put 2.0 on my Tx with the 6 pos switch yet. It will be interesting to see a report from one who has.

It's important for all who want to upgrade to realize that unless you've been using 1.99 -- the first time you write the 2.0 firmware to the Transmitter you need to do it the same was using Companion and connecting the Tx with it OFF.

Once that's been done to connect the Tx to the computer you will turn on the Tx while pressing the AIL and RUD switches to the center. You can then write firmware from the SD card - or plug in a USB and it will acknowledge the USB card and you'll have the microSD card in one drive, and the EEPROM stored in the No Touchy volume named "TARANIS".
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2014, 11:58 PM
Sparky "Electrics Rule"
Mission, BC Canada
Joined Jul 2002
3,740 Posts
Can you still write firmware to the Taranis using Companiontx after loading version 2 on or do you have to use the bootloader and the sd card.
bobf is offline Find More Posts by bobf
Old Jun 03, 2014, 12:01 AM
Joined May 2009
6,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf View Post
Can you still write firmware to the Taranis using Companiontx after loading version 2 on or do you have to use the bootloader and the sd card.
Both methods work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2014, 12:02 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Aug 2013
1,596 Posts
Fantastic, all the best for the new thread,

David

EDIT: now V2.0 no issues
djmorgan is online now Find More Posts by djmorgan
Last edited by djmorgan; Jun 03, 2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2014, 12:04 AM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jul 2012
333 Posts
What's the point of the USB connected icon when plugging in the USB while the Tx is ON? Can't access anything that I can figure out.

Only way to access the files in Windows Explorer is to power up while holding the trimmer buttons to the center, then plugging in the USB cable. Don't see the point.

Anyway, I did that and got the LUA Wizard TEMPLATES folder installed on the Tx.
Barry2020 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2020
Old Jun 03, 2014, 12:08 AM
Joined May 2009
6,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry2020 View Post
What's the point of the USB connected icon when plugging in the USB while the Tx is ON? Can't access anything that I can figure out.

Only way to access the files in Windows Explorer is to power up while holding the trimmer buttons to the center, then plugging in the USB cable. Don't see the point.
Good question. Would be best to address this directly to the developers who haunt this thread. http://openrcforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=5163 They are already planning 2.1 so might as well get it on the list.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 03, 2014, 12:08 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Aug 2010
171 Posts
Quote:

That is Joystick mode.
dinamich is online now Find More Posts by dinamich
Old Jun 03, 2014, 12:11 AM
Joined Jul 2012
333 Posts
Is there a Companion9x Un-installer? Or do I just delete all those files from the Program Files Folder?
Old Jun 03, 2014, 12:14 AM
Joined Jul 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamich View Post
That is Joystick mode.
Thanks. If it had looked like a joystick it would have been more obvious.
Old Jun 03, 2014, 12:21 AM
Joined May 2009
6,313 Posts
Quote:
Is there a Companion9x Un-installer? Or do I just delete all those files from the Program Files Folder?
There is an uninstall program in C:/Program Files (x86)/companion9x

It's likely that CompanionTx has it's configuration set to: C:/Program Files (x86)/companion9x/dfu-util.exe
(Mine did)

If the Companion9x folder is deleted uou'll need to change the companionTX configuration to C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenTX/dfu-util.exe
RCG Plus Member