SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 12, 2014, 01:06 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Jan 2014
31 Posts
Discussion
Extend length of throttle/rudder & aileron/elevator controls?

R/c virgin (still) ,waiting for the right conditions (absolutely calm - the air too) to maiden my HBZ Glasair Sportsman, has the standard Spektrum DX4e tx... but also thinking about that first flight and control (or lack of). Has anyone any experience with extending the throttle/rudder & aileron/elevator controls to make them longer? Perhaps I'm out-thinking myself here but I tried a few turns on the Sim and I can't help but think that longer "controls" (along with virtual instructor) could perhaps smooth things out as in a "longer throw" would make thing "gentler"? Am I way off beam here - is this a valid option, has it been done and what with ? (I'm thinking of simply fitting a 50-70mm stiff sleeve over existing controls perhaps). Any feedback appreciated
rickh25345 is offline Find More Posts by rickh25345
Last edited by rickh25345; Jan 12, 2014 at 01:07 AM. Reason: incorrect unit of measure used
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2014, 01:28 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,436 Posts
I think it is not the best to learn on a non standard setup. Learn right to start with. Then you
can change things a bit to suit you.

Most transmitters have adjustable sticks, but looking at the manual for your radio it does not
show it. You might have some one look at it.
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jan 12, 2014, 01:50 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,953 Posts
Your Dx4e TX has a dual rate switch for doing ..exactly.. what you are considering, electronically at the flip of a toggle switch.. while flying.
Re read the manual to see how it works.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 12, 2014, 02:08 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Jan 2014
31 Posts
Kimber, thanks. Unfortunately no, the DX4e does not have extendable "sticks".

Bare - I have read and reread the manual. I am aware of the 4 Virtual Instructor options. I am asking about something IN ADDITION to the VI. A helpful poster has directed me to some information on "expo" mode which appears to dumb it down even further but that's not what I'm after. I am talking about the comfort factor for me.
rickh25345 is offline Find More Posts by rickh25345