HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2013, 01:42 PM
Yorba Linda Ca
Joined Apr 2004
237 Posts
Discussion
Scale Benson Gyrocopter

Hey all,

When I was a kid my father was good friends with two guys who were pioneers of the Benson Gyrocopter Ed Neleski and Ken Brock. My Dad worked in Ken's shop building Gyrocopters based on Bensons original design and I remember as a kid going out to El Mirage dry Lake in southern California to watch them fly these machines. I saw a video the other day of a 1/2 scale gyrocopter and it really brought back fond memories of those days.

I have done some research and have seen a few designs and I did find a video of a half scale model. The closest one i have found so far is the Minimum V4 that is really cool. I was wondering if there are any other scale Benson designs that are larger than the Minimum maybe 1/4 scale design. Also, is there a source for rotor blades? There was this company called Aerobalsa but sadly the owner passed away in April.

Anyway, I just thought I would ping you guys to see if you had any ideas.

Thanks so much in advance,

EW
EngineerW is offline Find More Posts by EngineerW
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2013, 04:42 AM
QLD Australia
Joined Oct 2009
262 Posts
The trend seems to be 'fast looking' gryos with cabins[most people don't realize the enclosure/cabins makes little differance to how a gyro flys]
So the old open frame models get less notice and the benson design had pitch stability problem, partically when flowen with a 'pump action' control stick design.
But with training and discipline and height speed restrictions could be flowen quite saftly.
I have many many hours of time on this full seize design[still fly the basic aircommand gyro]

The main problem to replicate a Benson, is the 2blade free teetering head design.
A few members here have successfully flowen this head design[but it is a handfull]
But 2blades joined with a flex plate[no teetering] is quite good[3blades is easier again]

As for blades, there is almost none for big gyros[mostly home-made so far] but there are some people selling small blades.
There has recently been a couple of complete big kits from china, whose blades you could probably use.

If you want to make a benson and blades with teetering head-then there are many good peope here who have done simular already and very willing to help.

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerW View Post
Hey all,
When I was a kid my father was good friends with two guys who were pioneers of the Benson Gyrocopter Ed Neleski and Ken Brock. My Dad worked in Ken's shop building Gyrocopters based on Bensons original design and I remember as a kid going out to El Mirage dry Lake in southern California to watch them fly these machines. I saw a video the other day of a 1/2 scale gyrocopter and it really brought back fond memories of those days.

I have done some research and have seen a few designs and I did find a video of a half scale model. The closest one i have found so far is the Minimum V4 that is really cool. I was wondering if there are any other scale Benson designs that are larger than the Minimum maybe 1/4 scale design. Also, is there a source for rotor blades? There was this company called Aerobalsa but sadly the owner passed away in April.
Anyway, I just thought I would ping you guys to see if you had any ideas.
Thanks so much in advance,
EW
minirotor is online now Find More Posts by minirotor
Last edited by minirotor; Oct 06, 2013 at 04:53 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2013, 10:21 AM
Joined Apr 2009
373 Posts
Here is my half scale job, not a hundred % the same but following more or less the benson design.
1/2 scale Benson Gyrocopter (4 min 4 sec)

Cali
Cali is online now Find More Posts by Cali
Old Oct 06, 2013, 11:54 AM
Yorba Linda Ca
Joined Apr 2004
237 Posts
Hi Cali! Yes that was the video I saw along with some footage of the real machines being flown out at El Mirage that made me think this would be really fun. Im not sure a 8' rotor span model is in my future but maybe a 4' span would be. Your model is amazing and close enough for me. So here comes the standard question. Do you have any drawings available? Are there plans out there?

Thanks again for building that model and for your post.

Cheers,

EW
EngineerW is offline Find More Posts by EngineerW
Old Jan 13, 2014, 10:10 PM
Joined Dec 2006
25 Posts
Hi Cali,
I just saw your video of your Benson Gyro. Very nicely done. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing any pictures of your rotor head set up. Does it have a pre-rotator?

Regards
Paddo2002
paddo2002 is offline Find More Posts by paddo2002
Old Jan 15, 2014, 04:19 AM
Joined Apr 2009
373 Posts
Paddo
Yes I will take some photo's for you and yes it does have a pre-rotor

EW, sorry for not posting earlier but have had a lot going on, good news is that I have (at long last) just started drawing up plans.

Cali
Old Jan 15, 2014, 09:14 AM
Greece, Peloponnisos Dytiki Ellada ke Ionio, Thouria
Joined Oct 2010
76 Posts
EngineerW Hi Cali! Yes that was the video I saw along with some footage of the real machines being flown out at El Mirage that made me think this would be really fun. Im not sure a 8' rotor span model is in my future but maybe a 4' span would be. Your model is amazing and close enough for me. So here comes the standard question. Do you have any drawings available? Are there plans out there?
EW I think our friend Richard ,who is "safe landing" can support you with plans and Info about making a Benson type of gyro.
Regards
Fanis.
F.FANIS is offline Find More Posts by F.FANIS
Old Jan 16, 2014, 03:02 PM
Joined Dec 2006
25 Posts
Hi Cali. Thanks for the reply. That would be great. I would be interested in seeing your plans too. Now that my spyro is flying great, I would love another pusher gyro.

Cheers
Paddo2002
Old Jan 18, 2014, 02:21 AM
Pre-rotate before Take-off
South Africa
Joined Apr 2006
112 Posts
Addicted

Cali

I'm addicted to this video. If I see it I can't resist not to have a look at it and I enjoy it every time.
Well done Cali.

Wollie
Wollie is offline Find More Posts by Wollie
Old Jan 18, 2014, 04:50 AM
Joined Apr 2009
373 Posts
Paddo
As promised some photo's of the head "however" this was just to get me up and running, plans are to machine up something much the same but a little more like the real thing.

Wollie
Calm down, Your first on the list and the drawing is coming along slow but sure.
Thanks for your comment, cant wait myself to see her back up and flying.
I keep looking myself to make sure it does fly
Cali
Old Jan 18, 2014, 05:14 AM
Pre-rotate before Take-off
South Africa
Joined Apr 2006
112 Posts
Cali
I'm trying my best.
Thanks for posting the pictures. A picture says a thousand words.
On the subject of your pre-rotator: (Too many Questions)
1. What size gears did you use?
2. What size brushless motor did you use?
3.how do you connect it up and how do you activate and deactivate it from your radio?

Wollie
Wollie is offline Find More Posts by Wollie
Old Jan 18, 2014, 06:04 AM
Joined Dec 2006
25 Posts
Very nice Cali. That head is a work of art. I also have lots of questions but look forward to see your drawings. Very nice!!
Old May 23, 2014, 09:05 PM
Joined May 2014
3 Posts
interested in building a 1/2 bensen gyro for rc. Anybody would sell the plans to build ?
Please contact alexbacopulos@yahoo.com.mx
AlexBacopulos is offline Find More Posts by AlexBacopulos
Old May 24, 2014, 10:01 AM
Joined Apr 2009
373 Posts
Alex, I don't have a set of plans but am presently doing some drawings of mine. It's a little drawn out but will get there one of these days, I have however promised Wollie the drawings first, sorry mate I have not forgot you! But will post them here as soon as I have finished them and Wollie has his copy.
Must pull the finger out when I get home

Cali
Old May 24, 2014, 01:53 PM
Joined May 2014
3 Posts
Cali,Thanks for answering my mail,in a short time .Ihave been looking for any kind of drawings for the bensen gyro for a long time and I am willing to wait for yours for as long as it takes.I live in mexico, but when young I attended school in The USA. Athat time I bought the Benson Giro Glider blueprints, and instruction book, but at that time it was a little axpensive for me to buy the "kit" to build it. I hope I can do it this time,eventhou it is a scalegyro. Cali,I thank you againt,and hope to hear from you soon.Alex
AlexBacopulos is offline Find More Posts by AlexBacopulos