HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2014, 05:21 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,759 Posts
Oh, I think I know what the new duct is going to look like. It might need a bit of tweaking to ensure the flow is coming out straight enough in conventional flight, but should be easy to trim out.
The print quality on those parts seems amazing. How did you reduce the z-wobble? Currently my printer is busy printing parts for itself.
Brandano is online now Find More Posts by Brandano
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:26 PM
Joined Sep 2010
16 Posts
This is awesome! A few questions if I may be so bold:
  1. Out of curiosity: How are you controlling how much thrust gets ported to two aileron nozzles?
  2. Is the forward flight a result of a tilting of these nozzles or is it a modulation of the speed of the forward and aft rotors (maybe a combo?)?
  3. Are the two EDF units being used for main lift counter-rotating for torque balance? Have you had any rotating issues?
GForce6point0 is offline Find More Posts by GForce6point0
Old Aug 17, 2014, 01:30 AM
Joined Nov 2012
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce6point0 View Post
This is awesome! A few questions if I may be so bold:
  1. Out of curiosity: How are you controlling how much thrust gets ported to two aileron nozzles?
  2. Is the forward flight a result of a tilting of these nozzles or is it a modulation of the speed of the forward and aft rotors (maybe a combo?)?
  3. Are the two EDF units being used for main lift counter-rotating for torque balance? Have you had any rotating issues?
1. 280grams each Side from the 90mm edf.
2. Forward flight is an result of tilting the 3bsm slowly backwards and reduce the power on the 70mm edf and gaining power thrust on the 90edf.
3. The front 70 mm edf is just for static thrust no tilting or Servos . The yaw controling comes from the 3bsm. Just like the real thing It swifels and yaw control whit an seperate fast and strong servo.""
Joel_Vlashof is offline Find More Posts by Joel_Vlashof
Old Aug 17, 2014, 07:55 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,759 Posts
Are you keeping the wing nozzles active in forward flight mode? That should give you a hell of a roll rate, though the tailerons are huge and probably it already rolls faster than the real thing
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:07 AM
Joined Nov 2012
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano View Post
Are you keeping the wing nozzles active in forward flight mode? That should give you a hell of a roll rate, though the tailerons are huge and probably it already rolls faster than the real thing
That's an cool idea!
Old Aug 19, 2014, 03:45 AM
Joined Nov 2012
118 Posts
New design 3bsm

New printed duct with little s shape
Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:01 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,759 Posts
That's the thing! I bet the full size is the same. I knopw for sure this was the case with the Yak 141, and it makes sense. Even if the thrust losses in the joints were minimal, keeping the bearings pressure tight would be harder, any kink would create a hot spot that could fail catastrophically in the hover. Is the material PLA or ABS ? And what did you use as filler?
Old Aug 20, 2014, 02:48 AM
Joined Nov 2012
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandano View Post
That's the thing! I bet the full size is the same. I knopw for sure this was the case with the Yak 141, and it makes sense. Even if the thrust losses in the joints were minimal, keeping the bearings pressure tight would be harder, any kink would create a hot spot that could fail catastrophically in the hover. Is the material PLA or ABS ? And what did you use as filler?
Hey, i used pla. And as filler i used fast glu with activator. Works great now i am working on new ailron nozzles. They need to be stronger. I got 3kg of thrust From the 90mm 1,6 kg out of the 3Bsm. And 260 grams thrust each Side of the ailron nozzles.thats 2110 grams of thrust. Where is my other 800 gram of thrust now i am going to test the new 3bsm how it Works. And try to find where i loose that thrust
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:39 AM
Joined Nov 2012
118 Posts
F35 joint strike fighter rc model airplane vertical take of (0 min 59 sec)

Older but fun video in the living room look at the 3bsm how fast the yaw Works to stay in heading hold mode enjoy
Old Aug 21, 2014, 09:51 AM
Joined Aug 2014
1 Posts
Hey there, i recently found this thread because i searched for vtol f-35 rc models... even found the old thread from the guy how tried this in 2010 back....

i love the work you've done on the 3bsm!

i'm curious if there is any easy way to build something similiar... i've soon a spare 90mm EDV from my Taft Viper Jet and in my mind i'm playing around building an depron jet and fit the 90mm Fan in it... and i also thought about the VTOL capabilitys about this thing...

way i thought about depron in the first place is, that its very easy and cheap to get and to build a plane with it... there are a couple of good free buildplans for a F-35 for Depron!

before i saw the awesome work here i never thought about building the swievel in scale... i was planing to try something with turning the hole fan... but i guess this will not withold the thrust... anyway i belive there could be an easy way in reusing 90mm plastic PVC fittings... they are available in 45 and even 90 ....

please continue your work... and i would love to see this project especally the 3bsm to be a open source thing to download or print on shapeways or something...

ps.: how are the parts hold together, how did you do the bearing, is that printed directly or is there something glued together?
DaStivi is offline Find More Posts by DaStivi
Old Aug 27, 2014, 08:22 PM
Joined Jun 2004
197 Posts
how does it fly forward? does the lift fan stop?

thanks
mack5 is offline Find More Posts by mack5