SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:48 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Yep ordered it as soon as I saw the link and $9.50 total cost.
Present tail grip is fine and I have three others that are serviceable even if they are the E flite plastic ones.
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Oct 17, 2012 at 08:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:16 PM
Salinas, CA
Joined Dec 2007
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
$8 plus $1.50 = $9.50

$13.50 plus $2.12 = $15.62 or $6 or 63% more total.

Charles
True but I personally will pay 6 bucks more and get it within a week. Still cheaper than the Align @ 19 bucks and get a better part.
jl449 is offline Find More Posts by jl449
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:53 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl449 View Post
True but I personally will pay 6 bucks more and get it within a week. Still cheaper than the Align @ 19 bucks and get a better part.
And you will probably get support and a real guarantee with it, as well.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:11 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
oomodel also have it:
http://www.oomodel.com/tarot-450-pro...t-p-63999.html

But the small amount extra at Infinity Hobby is worth it for the fast shipping and excellent customer service you get.
Hey, I got all my stuff in two days, order Wed, received Friday. Not the cheapest prices, but a much better experience than a couple other places that have Tarot. I'll order from them again.

The tail box is of excellent quality, this is something I'm going to spend a few $ to put better bearings into. http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=6697

mhills, the Super tail belts for T-REX 450 (397T V2) http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=6659 look good. It seems to be a bit less pliable than the Mavrikk, but I think it will be stronger & last many more flights than the relatively cheaper belts.

Sorry to take the thread a bit off track, but 450 tail related?
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:42 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,156 Posts
You really need to take it apart and put it together correctly. Mine was not. The washers that are to go between the bearing and the thrust was between the screw and it's washer. Someone that don't have the knowledge of how this system works may have issues.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:07 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
You really need to take it apart and put it together correctly. Mine was not. The washers that are to go between the bearing and the thrust was between the screw and it's washer. Someone that don't have the knowledge of how this system works may have issues.
Interesting, both of the ones (silver, black) I've fitted weren't like that, and are flying perfectly, with a cold tail servo at the end of the flight.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone else gets one the same and what color it was.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:46 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,156 Posts
The thick washer I think should be with the screw. The thin shims I put between the bearing and the thrust. That give you just a .24mm of space between the inter dia. and outer to keep the outside of the bearing from touching the thrust bearing. If you don't do that all the stress is still be on the outer bearing and defeats the purpose of having thrust bearings. It will still work, but not any better than the original blade grips.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mhills51; Oct 21, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 01:35 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,156 Posts
Really nice and smooth flying. It does seem to slow down the rate a bit. Maybe because of extra weight or just me lol! Can't do much in the back yard Have to wait until tomorrow at the field.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:06 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,659 Posts
Ordered on the 17th

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=31

and it arrived today . Not bad at all for $1.50 shipping. Disassembled, lubicated,reassembled,added balls and loctited then placed in the spares / backup part bin.

Nice machining,bearing to grips and shaft fit is good , no play and nice and smooth.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:10 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2011
43 Posts
I got my orange one today! Noticing a little notchieness in the bearings right off the bat, I decided to disassemble which in and of itself was a struggle. Heating, freezing and heating, swearing and a lot of pulling and tugging got me nowhere. Gently used a pair of reverse circlip pliers back and forth on the weight areas to finally get a mm of movement but that was it.

More heating, more swearing, more prying and I finally threaded a long 2mm bolt in the hub, supported the hub facing end of the grip on a piece of wood and gently tapped the bolt with a teeny hammer. What a pain! I've purchased a lot of Tarot stuff and really like it for the most part but I usually junk half the bearings off the bat and locktite the other half in because they're too loose. During machining they either allow too much for the thickness of the anodizing or too little.

At any rate one side came apart with what I assume is the mostly the correct assembly? The order was: bolt & thickest washer, large outer bearing, two very thin shims, outer thrust bearing race w/ groove facing away from the thrust bearing then the thrust bearing with the closed/flat side facing out. The inner thrust bearing race ain't coming out.

The other side went: Bolt & thickest washer, large outer bearing, outer thrust bearing race w/ groove facing away from the thrust bearing, then the two thin shims and then the thrust bearing with the closed/flat side facing in.

At least looking at both sides, the inner thrust bearing race has the groove facing the thrust bearing which is good since I doubt they'll ever come out. There is no chance I mixed these up on disassembly in case anybody was wondering.

I like the piece, it looks good and think Tarot is making some neat and innovative stuff but they're still not quite there on the QC and bearing quality department. There was not a hint of lubrication on the thrust bearings nor threadlock on the bolts but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since I did use a heat gun on it to get the hub separated.

In spite of what might sound like bashing, I'm anxious to get this greased up and put back together in the right order and installed on my 450. I may buy the silver one just to have as a spare (even though I have 3 Align ones!)

-- Elisabeth

Afterthought: I'll have to look at this in better light with stronger magnification tomorrow. The thrust bearing balls just barely extend beyond the flat/closed side of the cage. Now I'm not so sure if the outer thrust bearing race should be installed backwards with the flat side against the thrust bearing because initially, the depth of the groove in the race seems much deeper than the balls stick out of the race? I know, I know - just go fly the damn thing. Geeking out on stuff is half the fun for me.
EKron is offline Find More Posts by EKron
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:49 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,068 Posts
Got mine at last (post from HK was quick, the German Customs and Excise were a lot slower). WOW, pretty good, well constructed and finished as well as being a decent engineering solution. Stripped it down to grease and thread lock but one of the blade holder would not pop off (like EKron), but of persuading and off she popped, flying across the room loosing the thrust beating in the process!! Spent around an hour looking when my wife came in to ask what I was doing, explained including a description and she just said ‘its over there on the carpet’ before turning away to go and make me a cup of tea!!!! Thing is, it was, totally the opposite direction to where the blade grip flew but quite visible on the floor!! Anyway, fitted it all together and it seems to be the ‘whatever’ (insert your own positive expletive here). I now think that the little voice at the back of my head which starts up every timer that I fly my Baby will stop saying ‘your tail is going to fail at any moment’ will now shut up but it will need a few flights to tell.
Watch this space.
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Nov 07, 2012, 05:32 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,156 Posts
I had mine out flying today. I had to turn the gain down, I think it has something to do with the 50 degree temps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:23 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,784 Posts
Hi guys, received my 2 450 Tarot thrust bearing tails today. looks good. I also have the Tarot metal boom mount that I think makes it easier to remove tail assy. I also had to try the 480 tail conversion with Tarot 345mm FBL blades.
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:46 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstorm100 View Post
Hi guys, received my 2 450 Tarot thrust bearing tails today. looks good. I also have the Tarot metal boom mount that I think makes it easier to remove tail assy. I also had to try the 480 tail conversion with Tarot 345mm FBL blades.
Excellent! Some really worthwhile upgrades.

ALZRC also have some nice looking and very strong 480 blades that are 360mm:

http://www.rc711.com/shop/alzrc-360a...th=166_216_354
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:27 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I wonder if the future of clone helis is improving on Align stuff by the clone corporations. Like will I be able to buy a carbon 500 that completely disassembles with 12 screws and has all the right materials/mechanical engineering for each part. That would be sweet.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777