HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:33 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,380 Posts
H-264 is a very efficient codec, designed to have at least 2-3 times smaller files than MPEG2 at equal quality. So higher bit rate settings are needed to get the same quality video with a less efficient codec, expect big files!
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:47 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinG0 View Post
My #11 camera has 6500-7000 kbps by defaut with 8 Gb SDHC A-data class 6. Than I did the firmware update with the non date stamp one, and the camera was able to record all videos @ 10.2 Mbps (~10200 kbps). So if you want higher bitrate you have to update the firmware and remove the stamp using this Instructions for turning the timestamp on and off and the driver.
Good luck!
This does not work like this with all cameras for some reason. The firmware updates you linked for date on/off are exactly the same as the ones posted at the beginning of this thread (I've run a compare utility in my hex editor to check them byte by byte... they are identical). I have used the firmware date off swap on my camera, and the video bit rate is still the same as it was before, 7000 kbps nominal total bit rate. I use Transcend 4GB Class 6 flash cards, which test in the top 1-2 results compared with the tests shown in chucklohr.com. I have no idea why some cameras have a higher bit rate.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:55 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
H-264 is a very efficient codec, designed to have at least 2-3 times smaller files than MPEG2 at equal quality. So higher bit rate settings are needed to get the same quality video with a less efficient codec, expect big files!
Yep... the video processor in our HD Key Cam has an integral H.264 video encoder pipeline in it, so it controls the camera output bit rate.

That new HD camera dubbed #12 by chuck Lohr encodes with MJPEG video codec, and has a bit rate (and presumably files sizes) about double that of our HD Key Cam. That's probably what is causing the high dropped frame rate as well if the processor used in that camera cannot keep up with the encoding task @ 30 fps (just like the old 808!)
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:50 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Wait, there's a #12 now?! What did I miss?

Edit - Found it on Chuck's page... The ONLY thing I like is composite output, and that's IF it puts out video while it records. If that's the case, it would make an awesome camera for small FPV planes. Now, if they would keep the h.264 compression in the #11 and give is a live composite out, I'd be first in line with cash in hand.
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Last edited by KeithLuneau; Feb 03, 2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:53 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm processing more Avidemux files.... As the file processes I see the bitrate hits 8200 at times.

Should I set the bit rate slightly above that or is it working off an average.

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:45 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
3,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post

Edit - Found it on Chuck's page... The ONLY thing I like is composite output, and that's IF it puts out video while it records. If that's the case, it would make an awesome camera for small FPV planes. Now, if they would keep the h.264 compression in the #11 and give is a live composite out, I'd be first in line with cash in hand.
+1
Mike
empeabee is online now Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Feb 03, 2011, 02:20 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Avidemux in Vista

Success !!!

I got Avidmux to work in Vista !!!! Yeaaaa

I don't know why (cause I really have no idea what I'm doing) I set the video setting to MPEG-4 ASP (Xvid), In Configure, I set it to Constant Bit Rate 8200, Predefined Aspect Ratio NTSC 16:9. In Filters I selected HQ3D.

I set the Audio to MP3 Lame Mono.

Then Format set to AVI

Those settings provided the cleanest video yet without any of the blocks I had been getting.

Ta Daaaa

I dumped all this into a WMM file and will post that for you to see on Youtube. Next I may need to try Viemo......

Joe
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:13 PM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
It does an adequate job of converting if I "force" the output bit rate to 7000 kbps to match my original source video. It does not give you an option that high in the drop down box, but you can pick one and type in 7000 to replace it.

But, it has no editing ability, so that limits it in comparison to some of the others we've looked at here.

And when I tell it to convert using the original source video stream (i.e. no re-encoding, it too, like all the other conversion programs, will not produce an .AVI file that can be displayed/edited. So I think this one also uses the same core library modules and just adds it's own user interface. It does have a lot of option settings, which some find too busy or confusing. I found it easy to configure and use, though.
I think Pazera Mov to Avi converter is more for the person who has difficulty with vdub or avidmux and they just want to use WMM to create their videos. They (I) can simply input a bunch of mov's all at once, set the bit rate and output to wmv, click convert and all the mov's are converted at once and ready to edit in WMM. Pazera is easy to configure and save so the next time you simply drag and drop all your mov's, press convert and it's all done very quickly.
zrobbie is offline Find More Posts by zrobbie
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:40 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

Here's my final File Converter video. Now that I got Avidemux working there's I will use that from here on out.

This shows what is possible using these converters, editing in WMM, and posting to Youtube for the noob user like me.

Keyfob Converter AVI Tests including Avidemux.wmv (6 min 27 sec)

I'll play with Avidemux some more but I promise not to make you look at our good friend Barney in that same shot again...

Onward and upward.

Joe
Old Feb 03, 2011, 03:43 PM
Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
502 Posts
zrobbie-

On vista its even easier for me to do this...all you need is k-lite codec pack for it to work...
finster is offline Find More Posts by finster
Old Feb 03, 2011, 04:44 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post

I believe the video processor in our HD Key Cam has the ability to output composite video, as well as 640x480 at 60 fps, plus other capabilities based on what I read on the Novatek web site. Shouldn't cost $60 for those minimal changes, though.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 05:01 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm processing more Avidemux files.... As the file processes I see the bitrate hits 8200 at times.

Should I set the bit rate slightly above that or is it working off an average.

Joe
If you are using mpeg-4 ASP (xvid) as the video compressor, the best quality with minimum file size should be had by configuring it for average bit rate (two pass), then set the bit rate to be the same or slightly higher than what your camera's average video bit rate is... 7000 is high enough for my camera. Setting it higher does more to increase the file size than it does improving the quality. My camera will jump up to 12000 or 13000 kbps on some complex video scenes for a second or two, but it settles down to typically less than 7000 kbps average on the video data. So setting the average bit rate for 7000 is a good spot. You know you can then save those settings as a custom configuration with any name of your choice, then just select that choice each time and you're good to go.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 05:25 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespeeder View Post
Success !!!

I got Avidmux to work in Vista !!!! Yeaaaa

I don't know why (cause I really have no idea what I'm doing) I set the video setting to MPEG-4 ASP (Xvid), In Configure, I set it to Constant Bit Rate 8200, Predefined Aspect Ratio NTSC 16:9. In Filters I selected HQ3D.

I set the Audio to MP3 Lame Mono.

Then Format set to AVI

Those settings provided the cleanest video yet without any of the blocks I had been getting.

Ta Daaaa

I dumped all this into a WMM file and will post that for you to see on Youtube. Next I may need to try Viemo......

Joe
Try adding the "asharp" filter after the de-noise filter and see what you think. You can click the "threshold" setting in it to decrease or increase the effect. The default seems to be just right on my outdoor videos, but indoor shots may be different. It can really make fine detail look a lot "crisper"! But indoor shots will have slower shutter settings, more blurring of motion, and more noise, so not sure of the results.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 03, 2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 05:58 PM
Joined Jan 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I can't test mine because I sent it back due to mal-focusing issues, and don't expect to have a replacement for at least 3 weeks due to the Chinese new years holiday. I THOUGHT I started my test with an essentially dead battery, with just enough juice to start a video, then plugged it in and it continued recording for a lot longer time than it otherwise would have. So it was not running on battery power all that time.

Now I don't recall if I let it run past the 20 min. auto stop/save/restart point, so hopefully someone else will confirm your results and report back here. I guess it's possible the camera will not restart automatically after the auto stop kicks in with the generic charger plugged in, just as it won't start the first time with it plugged in. If that's the case, I need to edit my post, but will wait to see if someone else can confirm you findings.
I emptied the internal battery by letting it run (normal 2*20 minutes were recorded), then formatted the flash card (8GB Kingston). I then charged the cam for about 3 minutes via an unmodified USB, just enough to be able to start a new recording. Removed the the USB cable.
Then I started a new recording in the 10Mbps mode. After having started the recording I plugged in the USB cable (red LED went on) and waited. After about 20 minutes the yellow LED came on and the camera was recognized as a mass storage device. Waited one hour more.

When I checked the flash card, there was only a single 20 minute file present (1,5 GB). More than I would have been able to record with the 3-minute charging alone. Apparently, from the close-and-continue function only the close function worked.
Afterwards I checked the flash card for errors. No hidden files (e.g. FILE0000.chk) were found.
deepinside is offline Find More Posts by deepinside
Last edited by deepinside; Feb 03, 2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Feb 03, 2011, 06:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepinside View Post
I emptied the internal battery by letting it run (normal 2*20 minutes were recorded), then formatted the flash card (8GB Kingston). I then charged the cam for about 3 minutes via an unmodified USB, just enough to be able to start a new recording. Removed the the USB cable.
Then I started a new recording in the 10Mbps mode. After having started the recording I plugged in the USB cable (red LED went on) and waited. After about 20 minutes the yellow LED came on and the camera was recognized as a mass storage device. Waited one hour more.

When I checked the flash card, there was only a single 20 minute file present (1,5 GB). More than I would have been able to record with the 3-minute charging alone. Apparently, from the close-and-continue function only the close function worked.
Afterwards I checked the flash card for errors. No hidden files (e.g. FILE0000.chk) were found.
Thanks for the test results. Did I understand you correctly, you were using a standard USB cable connected to your PC for this test? So the recording did not continue after the 20 minutes stop and save function.

But, this is not quite identical to a standard generic wall or car charger, because they typically have no data lines connected, whereas your PC USB cable would and could communicate with your camera.

Do you have a wall wart or car generic USB charger, such as for a cell phone, that would not have the data line signals present to repeat this test? That is what we really want to know for sure. It could be that the camera detects the USB data lines when it stops after 20 minutes of recording, and THAT is what stops the "continue" portion of the sequence.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Feb 03, 2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread