HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2014, 07:57 AM
Joined Jun 2013
41 Posts
Hi, would MXS fly 3D with Axi 2826/10, 3s 2200 mAh lipos and equipped with four HS-82MG servos?

If not, is there a plane, that would use this setup (but other than Addiction)?

Thank you very much
SOROBORU88 is online now Find More Posts by SOROBORU88
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2014, 11:14 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,418 Posts
82mg don't center well on aerobatic plane, but i did use them on a flying foam wing for a long time successfully. I would not use them on mxs.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 08, 2014, 11:24 AM
Joined Jun 2013
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oneWo1f View Post
82mg don't center well on aerobatic plane, but i did use them on a flying foam wing for a long time successfully. I would not use them on mxs.
Thank you. I have this setup prepared fot the Addiction X, but it is hard to get. I like the MXS, but I'm afraid that the motor is too long for the cowl
SOROBORU88 is online now Find More Posts by SOROBORU88
Old Aug 08, 2014, 06:11 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,418 Posts
Get 5085 and 5065 x 3 for the MXS.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Aug 08, 2014, 06:21 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oneWo1f View Post
Get 5085 and 5065 x 3 for the MXS.
Really good set up. The analogs are fine, but the 50 series are even better.

For those who are less budget conscious, I will be building an MXS next week with 5070MH servos on ailerons/rudder and an HS5087MH servo on the elevator. It's massive overkill but it will be fun to see how fast it will stop in a parachute.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; Aug 08, 2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2014, 11:20 AM
JKasprak
Fayetteville, NC 28304
Joined Jan 2010
808 Posts
I used HS85MG and 3xHS65MG and my MXS really took a beating. I did strip the gears on the rudder servo, but after tail dragging several time and putting it through a lot I would say it held up well. I realize the digitals would be better, but it would not detract from the performance for the average to above average flyer.
propchief is offline Find More Posts by propchief
Old Aug 09, 2014, 11:26 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propchief View Post
I used HS85MG and 3xHS65MG and my MXS really took a beating. I did strip the gears on the rudder servo, but after tail dragging several time and putting it through a lot I would say it held up well. I realize the digitals would be better, but it would not detract from the performance for the average to above average flyer.
I've been flying them like that for over four years. The only problem I've had is getting sloppy gears in the rudder servo from repeated ground strikes. This plane has so much pitch authority that you've really got to be careful rotating it close to the deck.

Funny thing is, now when I build and MXS I shoot CA (to toughen up the wood) into the bottom rear of the rudder with a hypo because I know I am going to beat it up. I've been doing that on my Yak SFGs too, and they don't seem to wear nearly as bad that way.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:46 PM
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,350 Posts
Funny all this talk about servos. I just ordered the white and blue MXS and wondering if I should use the same Savox servos that I've been happy with or are the new Hitecs a better choice?

Does any one know of a wing bag I can use to store both sets of 48 inch wings in?
I've been using a PA ADX wing bag for the Edge since it's a perfect fit.
jk6672 is online now Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:01 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
Funny all this talk about servos. I just ordered the white and blue MXS and wondering if I should use the same Savox servos that I've been happy with or are the new Hitecs a better choice?
Don't let anyone talk you out of being happy. If you've got the servos and are happy with them, there's no need to spend the money.

Now, if you have to buy new servos, that would be different. I probably will never buy another 6 volt servo. I am going to use up what I already have, but anything new I build in a 48 is going to be 7.4 volts. I think you are probably going to see the whole industry go to that on these super high performance planes.

I do think with 7.4 that the MXS would be especially badass and I'm going to update my current MXS as soon as I have the jack.

Quote:
Does any one know of a wing bag I can use to store both sets of 48 inch wings in?
I've been using a PA ADX wing bag for the Edge since it's a perfect fit.
It looks like they sell their wing bags separately: http://www.macgregor.co.uk/pa/bags.htm

Hoping to shoot some MXS video soon, but for now this is the latest thing we have:

Last edited by Doc Austin; Aug 25, 2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:31 PM
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,350 Posts
Yeah, no, I need new servos. I haven't lost my edge. Hey doc can I use the same TP 4s 2700 70. Packs in the MXS? That would save me a load of money.
jk6672 is online now Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:44 PM
Joined Jun 2014
8 Posts
Your putting that plan through heII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
Don't let anyone talk you out of being happy. If you've got the servos and are happy with them, there's no need to spend the money.

Now, if you have to buy new servos, that would be different. I probably will never buy another 6 volt servo. I am going to use up what I already have, but anything new I build in a 48 is going to be 7.4 volts. I think you are probably going to see the whole industry go to that on these super high performance planes.

I do think with 7.4 that the MXS would be especially badass and I'm going to update my current MXS as soon as I have the jack.

It looks like they sell their wing bags separately: http://www.macgregor.co.uk/pa/bags.htm

Hoping to shoot some MXS video soon, but for now this is the latest thing we have:

I have the plane without the servos and I don't understand how you use the plane like that and not rip the control surfaces away from the plane.
Proyjenkins is offline Find More Posts by Proyjenkins
Old Aug 26, 2014, 09:16 AM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
784 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, no, I need new servos. I haven't lost my edge. Hey doc can I use the same TP 4s 2700 70. Packs in the MXS? That would save me a load of money.
Yes you can....should be perfect.
flygilmore is offline Find More Posts by flygilmore
Old Aug 26, 2014, 09:48 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,696 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, no, I need new servos.
I'de say that you may as well go with the HS5070MHs and an HS5087MH on the elevator. It won't cost that much more than buying analog servos and I believe the new servos will probably be more durable. The old 65MGs were pretty stressed out in these planes.

Quote:
Hey doc can I use the same TP 4s 2700 70. Packs in the MXS? That would save me a load of money.
That's exactly what I use in all my 48s.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:29 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proyjenkins View Post
I have the plane without the servos and I don't understand how you use the plane like that and not rip the control surfaces away from the plane.
It should last forever without servos!

It took me a while to see all of what goes into these planes. A lot of cool things are hidden under the covering, like the geodetic construction on the MXS' tail section. I have crashed a few EXPs, and I've ripped the carcass open to see how they are built.

You can get a little glimpse of how well these planes are thought out by looking inside the rear of the canopy near the bottom. On most planes, that bottom corner is always vulnerable to getting knocked off while putting the canopy on the plane. On the EXPs, it's reinforced with G10. Not only are the planes built to stand up to abusive flying, but they are built to stay nice even through wear and tear.

After you have flown an EXP for awhile you just take these things for granted and think all planes should be built this way. They aren't. I work with a lot of new guys and I see what the other companies are producing. There is some pretty awful stuff out there, but there is also some really nice stuff. None of it, however, is as nice and robustly built as an EXP, IMHO, but of course.

Here is what the inside of an MXS' elevator looks like. that's some pretty intricate but sturdy construction. Check out how the leading and trailing edges are slotted so the ribs lock right in, and how the ribs for the diagonal braces are slotted out.

Another benefit is that this kind of construction is also stiffer and less prone to warping. You get a stronger, straighter airplane.

Last edited by Doc Austin; Aug 26, 2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:45 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
16,696 Posts
OK, this is absolutely the last MXS video I've got for now, so it's up to the rest of you to post one. I'm waiting for some 7.4 volt servos and then we will shoot some more, but for now, I ain't got no mo.

For the new guys, here are my 48" MXS blog articles in chronological order. I think the first two are probably the most useful because they have the most set up information and photos.