You guys having all the fun
We'll here are mine , flybar and EXI500
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2014, 09:42 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,156 Posts
Jombos house- Why are you pulling out all the chairs and putting your dirty helicopter things on there, don't you know I just cleaned that table! Shoosh! babe I gotta post a pic of my scale helicopters. Why? Because everyone else is!
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2014, 05:11 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,655 Posts
Lol, true......

I dont have any scale 500's but I have five 500 helis in my house right now. Three im fixing for friends (waiting for servos and other small parts), and two that actually belong to me. It would love to have a bell222 in 500 size, but just bought a 700 so all funds are tapped for awhile.
kdean is online now Find More Posts by kdean
Old May 02, 2014, 07:50 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,156 Posts
It's funny, the 500 fits so tight inside the Bell 222 that everyone always ask if that's a 450.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2014, 10:17 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Jombos house- Why are you pulling out all the chairs and putting your dirty helicopter things on there, don't you know I just cleaned that table! Shoosh! babe I gotta post a pic of my scale helicopters. Why? Because everyone else is!
exactly .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old May 03, 2014, 08:10 PM
Joined Nov 2007
107 Posts
Anyone can tell me how long can i fly with a zippy 5000 mah 6s ? I will use it to carry a tarot 2t along with a gopro camera,or should i use low mah capacity. Please give me some battery advice.
I am using this electric motor http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arehouse_.html
xstranger is offline Find More Posts by xstranger
Old May 03, 2014, 08:24 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,156 Posts
A HK or Align 500 is already a heavy beast. Sport flying with a small pinion you can get around 6 with a 2600 pack. I would say right at 10 with 80% left in the pack with all the extra weight you are slinging.
Remember hovering uses almost as much juice as hard 3D
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2014, 09:24 PM
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
442 Posts
These are some great looking helis, thanks for posting. I've got another 500 coming late next week (used Align) that I'm contemplating another scale project with somewhere down the road after working out any kinks.

It seems the 500 size scale fuselages are getting a little harder to find. I would really like to do an A109 or Airwolf with retracts and lights. However, Rc Aerodyne stocks several versions of the Bell 212 which look amazing and use a dog house type set up keeping the nose area free for a scale interior. Price is by no means resonable and I'm just not sure I can justify it yet.
MIGPILOT44 is offline Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
Old May 03, 2014, 09:35 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,156 Posts
Rc Aerodyne is going to be the best bang for the buck! That is what mine is. For lights go to HK The entire kit is $7 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ng_System.html

I think Jombo has the Align kit.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2014, 01:32 PM
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
442 Posts
GY401 Confusion - Need Help

Guys, I'm almost embarassed to ask for help with this as its something that's pretty basic but I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

I recently replaced my tail servo with an Align DS520 digital servo. I've changed my GY401 to DS for digital servo and set the DELAY gain to zero as per the instructions for a digital servo. My DX6i is set to 70% and 30% within the gyro menu. I have the travel set in the correct direction for initial rudder input and gyro correction.

Problem is that it seems I have no gyro what so ever to correct the tail movement on spool up for take off. All I get is a violent tail whip and piroette around the main blades!!

What am I missing here? I've been down this road before years ago when I transitioned to helis, I should be able to handle this.....I'm super frustrated.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old May 05, 2014, 01:53 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,390 Posts
Try reversing the gyro sensing direction and possibly the tail travel, it's likely to be different to your original servo.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old May 05, 2014, 01:56 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,156 Posts
I think Paul is right on. And never ever be embarrassed! even the best of us forget. I can't tell you how many times people here have saved me. That is the one reason I stick around.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2014, 02:09 PM
South London United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2003
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul 1968 View Post
Try reversing the gyro sensing direction and possibly the tail travel, it's likely to be different to your original servo.
Hi MIGPILOT

+1 to what Paul and mhills have said.

Here's how to check.

Rudder channel first. Unplug the gyro and plug the tail servo direct into channel 4.
Turn the head until the tail blades are vertical, then fold the top blade back towards you, standing behind the model.
Now, the tail blade should move in opposition to the blade. I.E. stick to the left, blade should move to the right, and vice versa.
If it doesn't, reverse the channel. Simple, but it works.
Now plug the gyro back in and power up.
Push the rudder stick to the left, and see whether the tail rod is being pushed or pulled.
Now pick the model up, and swing it so the nose goes to the right.
You should find the tail rod being pulled or pushed, same as above.
Also, simple but it works.
You might find that having the gyro in Rate mode and gain at 100% makes it easier to detect the correction direction.
Try it, and let us know.

Cheers

BL
Border Lord is offline Find More Posts by Border Lord
Old May 05, 2014, 03:27 PM
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Lord View Post
Hi MIGPILOT

+1 to what Paul and mhills have said.

Here's how to check.

Rudder channel first. Unplug the gyro and plug the tail servo direct into channel 4.
Turn the head until the tail blades are vertical, then fold the top blade back towards you, standing behind the model.
Now, the tail blade should move in opposition to the blade. I.E. stick to the left, blade should move to the right, and vice versa.
If it doesn't, reverse the channel. Simple, but it works.
Now plug the gyro back in and power up.
Push the rudder stick to the left, and see whether the tail rod is being pushed or pulled.
Now pick the model up, and swing it so the nose goes to the right.
You should find the tail rod being pulled or pushed, same as above.
Also, simple but it works.
You might find that having the gyro in Rate mode and gain at 100% makes it easier to detect the correction direction.
Try it, and let us know.

Cheers

BL
Thanks for the replies everyone, i appreciate it. ill have to get back into it tomorrow my work schedule got in the way today.

ill recheck my direction and go from there, these were my initial thoughts and things made sense the way i had it. Is it correct to set the Gy401 gain to zero when using a digital servo as well as setting it to DS with the Align servo?
Old May 05, 2014, 03:41 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGPILOT44 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone, i appreciate it. ill have to get back into it tomorrow my work schedule got in the way today.

ill recheck my direction and go from there, these were my initial thoughts and things made sense the way i had it. Is it correct to set the Gy401 gain to zero when using a digital servo as well as setting it to DS with the Align servo?
No, why would you set your gain to zero? The gains should be set as you originally posted 70/30 and adjust as required when flying. Set delay to zero and DS for the Align servo. Check for correct rudder direction, adjust if needed, rudder stick right pitch slider goes left and vise versa. Same with gyro direction swing nose left, pitch slider goes left and vise versa.

HTH

Paul

Edit: When initializing the GY401 it MUST be in heading hold mode, failure to do so will result in the gyro not initializing.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968