Gorgeous!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2015, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by Whirlybird2012
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Mar 2013
1,421 Posts
Maiden flight today! Went incredible. ZERO TRIM needed. Very docil but has all kinds of power! Full throttle into the wind gave 109 mph ground speed. 3:30 dlight resulted in only 50% battery used.

Land half flaps first time, went long and down in grass. no issue with that.

Flight #2'was better. 4 min flight used only 50% again. Full flaps and this thing slows down to fast walk! I can see 6:30 minutes on this one!

Will post vids soon. This is a keeper!
Whirlybird2012 is offline Find More Posts by Whirlybird2012
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by Aros
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
9,401 Posts
Congrats Whirly! Man you're going to force me to get one aren't you??
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
Old Jul 12, 2015, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by Whirlybird2012
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Mar 2013
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Congrats Whirly! Man you're going to force me to get one aren't you??
Not sure if I am forcing you... but wills strongly URGE the idea..;-)

Vids to come..promise. Sloppy with a crummy first landing and no vids after that. Will drop onto the Youtube channel in a bit tonight.

I can tell you that compared to the recent build we have both experienced, you'll be flying this by Labor Day for sure and probably WAY earlier.
Whirlybird2012 is offline Find More Posts by Whirlybird2012
Old Jul 27, 2015, 06:44 AM
Find More Posts by AlexanderB
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,415 Posts
Hi,

after a few weeks where I did not fly my Cirrus I had the chance for three nice flights yesterday evening. The last flight actually took place in the dusk where the lights were wonderful visible.

I had one issue with my elevator which bothered me: I need to fly with some considerable up elevator (maybe 3). I first suspected that she would be somewhat nose heavy. So I moved the CG even further back. As a result the elevator still needed up trim while landings became more and more difficult: when I pulled a bit elevator she went really up which showed that she was close to tail heavy.

So I looked at the incidence of both the wing and the elevator. I found that both were the same! That of course made clear why I needed some up elevator: the up elevator leads to a decrease of the h-stab incidence.

I now moved my batteries back to the CG position where I started with (which was close to the forward CG of the manual).

What can I say? She still needs up elevator (of course!) but the handling is much nicer. Also landings on the mains are easier to perform since the elevator is not so nervous anymore. What I still have to get used to is that I need considerable power (i.e. speed) when approaching with full flaps. Full flaps are mandatory when there is no wind like yesterday evening. She's so much of a floater.

BTW I won't bother changing the incidence of the h-stab since she flies nicely. Usually one should expect more drag but this is not the case since I fly her level with 6A to 8A on 10s which is next to nothing. I realized on one fly-by that the current was 3.7A only. Amazing. The guys at the club suspect that I charge my batteries in flight rather then depleting them

It was a great pleasure to fly her again.

Cheers Alexander
AlexanderB is offline Find More Posts by AlexanderB
Old Aug 09, 2015, 01:08 PM
Find More Posts by cmartin3977
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined Jun 2003
34 Posts
It's too bad that this plane doesn't handle gas engines well, gas has so much over electric when it comes to flight times. If only electric could match the 30 min flight times that gas offers.
cmartin3977 is offline Find More Posts by cmartin3977
Old Aug 10, 2015, 02:54 AM
Find More Posts by coolgg
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Oct 2010
217 Posts
Does anybody have spare nose gear for the sr22t? I'd like to purchase it if so. Even if you dont have all the parts of the nose gear (e.g. no white piece to attach to fuselage) I may still be interested. Please PM me
coolgg is offline Find More Posts by coolgg