HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:57 AM
Joined Feb 2007
59 Posts
Discussion
Maybe RC just isn't for me. Rants, frustrations, Sorry, don't mean to be so negative.

Okay well, tinkering and spending on upgrades to compensate for an RC because it didn't turn out to be as expected has been a pain for me and is what I'm trying to avoid. I'm just looking for a micro RTF CP heli that is reliable as long as it's treated right. Maybe this whole RC thing really just isn't for me. I like flying, but not repairing all the time. I don't get it. You can buy real vehicles and most will work for quite a while without repairs as long as it's treated right. I wish the same for a micro CP heli. It seems everyone just accepts the whole tinkering and spending on upgrades as part of the hobby. I don't really have time for that. And if it's "Ready to Ride" or "Ready to Fly", it should be just that, as if you just bought a real new car, plane or helicopter. ...Not "it will work just okay then annoy you to a point where you'll have to spend more money and time for tinkering." Sometimes I wonder if companies purposely make all these RC stuff not perfect so people will keep buying parts. That's where they really make their money. And people just go along with it. Time for a change please. Arghhh... Haha. Sorry. Thanks.

[Adding more comments]
I don't think the convience and low price of RTFs and RTRs should be an excuse for low quality. If so, they should mention on the box that there will be tinkering and additional expenses involved. It's borderline false advertising. And also, who's to say that RTFs have to be low priced? If it really needs to cost a little more to up the quality, that's all good with me.

The main thing I'm trying to say though is that you can buy bikes, cars, planes, helicopters, boats, jet skis, etc. and you can expect it to work for a while without any tinkering. ALSO, most people who buy these real big things, especially cars, don't know how to fix them. Do you all know how to repair your own vehicles? Do you all fix your own computer hardware? Can you fix your own comptuer software issues? Do you have the time and resources to? Just because you got into driving cars doesn't mean you need to know how to fix it, though I agree it would be ideal. I don't need to feel like I'm an idiot because I can't fix a hybrid Toyota to enjoy driving it.

So the point is, can't people who don't fix things enjoy flying RC's as well assuming they treat it right? Just because some people don't fix things too much doesn't mean they need to be cut out of the whole RC experience.

I just feel there need to be huge a change in the RC world.
kratos is offline Find More Posts by kratos
Last edited by kratos; Jun 13, 2007 at 01:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:03 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Can you provide more details over the source of your frustrations? For instance, which particular products didn't work out for you and what problems did you encounter?

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:15 AM
Joined Feb 2007
59 Posts
Thanks for your reply Doubletap. Well I'm mainly looking for a micro RTF CP heli that is capable of at least some 3D and will be sturdy/reliable as long as it's treated right. That just doesn't seem to exist. This frustration started with the CX2 since mine wasn't great out of the box and needed some replacements. I've spent enough time and money on it and it feels like it still needs upgrades/replacements. I don't really want to invest too much more on it and want to move on to CP which I've been practicing extensively on a simulator. Now, I don't want to repeat the whole repair/upgrading time/money cost. Again, I just want a micro RTF CP heli that is capable of at least some 3D and will be sturdy/reliable as long as it's treated right. It seems like right now, there's none. For now it seems like people have to accept that it won't fly great out of the box and will require a lot of tinkering. In my humble opinion, that's not ready-to-fly. Ready-to-fix maybe.
Last edited by kratos; Jun 13, 2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:26 AM
Idle up!
USA, VT
Joined Nov 2004
5,802 Posts
There is no RTF.. there is only ready to tune and then fly.. unless you count the Honey FP, which is probably the most RTF RTF out there. From what I have read the king v2 might be a close 2nd.

The fact remains that if it is a CP you will tinker, repair, and tweak..

I have invested $1000s in this hobby, and I feel your pain. I like to tinker, but I would rather be flying. It is why I have an FP.. no frills, but it is in the air more than any other heli I have because it is the most reliable.

I ususually fly the FP in between repairing, setting up my CPs.. I don't have any RTF CPs anymore, I may pick up a king v2.. but I really need to get 3 other helis in the air as well as finish my Sebart Katana 30 size 3d plane.
PLATINUM is offline Find More Posts by PLATINUM
Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:43 AM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
No matter how bad you have it - there's almost always someone out there who's had it worse:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581288

Sadly, I had to throw good money after bad time and time again, but after almost a year of trying, I'm finally happy with my rig and having a the time of my life.

Once I got past all the technical problems, I've been able to fly consistently from 3-5 times a week, for a total of 20-30 packs a week. I've learned more in 1 month than I did the last 7 and the sky's the limit so long as I'm persistent. In that time, I've mastered hovering in all orientations, flying in all orientations except for reverse, high speed circuits, pattern 8's, remote circles, and funnels (my personal fav).

I committed myself to 20 hours of inverted training on the sim and soon as I'm comfortable with that - going to give it a go on a real thing

Anyway - just keep at it and feel free to rant away, just take a deep breath and settle in for the long, and frustrating but insanely gratifying, haul.
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:09 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Platinum is right; although many helis are advertised as RTF (planes, boats, and cars also for that matter), most of them are not "literally" ready to fly as you will need to at the very least setup, trim, adjust, tinker with it to get it to fly/hover reliably. Why is this? I think it has mostly to do with economics. RTF's are generally marketed towards the beginner or "value conscious" portions of the market, so to produce a competitively priced model AND take the time to test, setup,and trim each and every model before it leaves the factory just isn't possible. This is even more so with CP helis as they are far more complex than FP's and coaxials and require much more effort to setup properly.

That doesn't mean that an "RTF" can't fly out of the box after only a few clicks on the TX trims. I've bought helis that flew out of the box very well with minor trim adjustment. Then again, I've bought some that required fairly major massaging and/or parts replacement before they would function as designed. Additionally, price paid is NEVER proportional to quality in a free market so to simply pay more doesn't guarantee a better product.

Look at it this way. RTF's are merely a convenience; they provide a way for someone to purchase a complete model package without having to go through the typical route of having to decide (match) which components to buy and build(model, motor, servos, ESC, batteries, transmitter, etc.). They however still require that the modeller go through the process of initial setup and trim before flight. As long as you understand this, you will enjoy the hobby much more and appreciate the fact that today's RTF's are an incredible value!

RC modelling is a hobby that requires tremendous amount of time, effort, and commitment not to mention financial resources to succeed; it is no different whether you scratch build giant scale fixed wing aircraft or purchase RTF helis, only the relative level of investment. With this in mind, perhaps you should re-evaluate your desire to participate in this hobby as it is truly not for everyone.

Good luck to you!

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:18 PM
Northern Cali
Joined Sep 2003
1,332 Posts
In the EHBG it states if you don't like spending lots of time tinkering and building and repairing things, then RC Helis are not for you. Sounds like your case. RC Helis will always required maintenance; it comes with the territory.
Brown Shoe is online now Find More Posts by Brown Shoe
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:22 PM
expert heli pilot wanabee
United States, CA, Los Banos
Joined Jul 2006
2,229 Posts
wow mochaboy i just read that thread i say u really have it worse if i were you ill be out of this hobby uhmmm maybe but still shaft falling out of your motor? falling branch smacking ur heli i could accept it if i damaged it during a crash but that kind of damage is heartbreaking really.
siryan is offline Find More Posts by siryan
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:50 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
I say stick with this hobby and from reading almost all of the threads started on this forum. From what i can tell, your best bet would be getting the Honeybee King 2 CP heli. I hear great things from people that have it. And for the money i don't think it can be beat. And don't fall into the" I have to buy every hop-up made" kind of person. Save those for the people that just want to show off to people. The only real hop up that is needed on most of these rtf heli's is a brushless motor and esc. That will make it more reliable. I think that the majority of new pilots on here after getting there heli are more worried about what hop-ups they can add to it before even learning how to fly. Then after they get all this money in it and crash they say it is a piece of crap. But is they just take it slow and learn the proper techniques to flying they would love it. All i am trying to say is get what heli you want and just take it slow and practice, practice, practice. This is the most fun hobby that i have ever got into.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:58 PM
expert heli pilot wanabee
United States, CA, Los Banos
Joined Jul 2006
2,229 Posts
i just recently bought a honeybee king v2 and no doubt it is a good heli but u might end up with the same frustration cause it is also not easy to set up. If i were u ill stick with an fp first for a year practice learn and have fun they dont break as much but it will teach u the basics
siryan is offline Find More Posts by siryan
Old Jun 13, 2007, 01:09 PM
R/C addict...
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
153 Posts
I have to agree with Buster. It can definitely be frustrating at times. But it can also be very rewarding. I flew my hummingbird v2 (or one, I cant tell) off and on for a couple of years. Then about three weeks ago I took it out again and was skidding it around the garage. Tried a little more throttle and *BINGO*, I had it in a hover (not rock-solid, but within a 4 foot circle). I was hooked again. I've broken the tail rotor and the skids, but just glued them back together. AND, I've now got an RTF HoneyBee CP2, and a barebones I'm working on bit by bit with upgrades and a computer radio. These last two I got used off the For Sale forum here at RC Groups for MUCH less than retail. So now I'll have three helis (FP and 2 CP's) and tons of spares for minimal investment. I would advise anyone to pick a heli that is highly recommended (HoneyBee FP2...available on sale at Hobby Lobby, for instance), and a couple of extra battery packs and fly the daylights out of it (using Radd's Method, of course). This is one of the most challenging and rewarding hobbies available. Remember: To Fly is Fine, to Hover...Devine!

-Justin
helicycle is offline Find More Posts by helicycle
Old Jun 13, 2007, 01:17 PM
Just call me crash.
Joined Jan 2006
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratos
....You can buy real vehicles and most will work for quite a while without repairs as long as it's treated right.....
Define "treated right." I've finally gotten to the point where I stop crashing more than flying (Blade CP) and haven't spent a cent on it in like 3 months (down to flying only 2 or 3 times a week now.) Tell me, do you take your real car, slam it into a tree, crash it into your house, flip it over on your lawn, jump it over hills, over-rev the engine, and escape without any repair at all? Didn't think so.

If you stop crashing, these helis will fly almost forever, barring swapping out motors every now and then. They are built cheap for one reason only: weight. Those of us that have been around laughed at the idea of an electric helicopter 10 years ago. It would never fly, we said. WRONG!

Lightweight construction is the tradeoff, and it's fragile.

But you're right, if repairing and tweaking is too much for you, choose another hobby.
rocknbil is offline Find More Posts by rocknbil
Old Jun 13, 2007, 01:33 PM
Joined Feb 2007
59 Posts
Hi. rocknbil, "treated right" as in not crashing at all and not abusing it always to it's limits. I'm totally all for not crashing. For some reason, some people seem to think that's impossible. Real pilots don't think like that. Crashing is not an option.

I added more comments to the first post of this thread.

"I don't think the convience and low price of RTFs and RTRs should be an excuse for low quality. If so, they should mention on the box that there will be tinkering and additional expenses involved. It's borderline false advertising. And also, who's to say that RTFs have to be low priced? If it really needs to cost a little more to up the quality, that's all good with me.

The main thing I'm trying to say though is that you can buy bikes, cars, planes, helicopters, boats, jet skis, etc. and you can expect it to work for a while without any tinkering. ALSO, most people who buy these real big things, especially cars, don't know how to fix them. Do you all know how to repair your own vehicles? Do you all fix your own computer hardware? Can you fix your own comptuer software issues? Do you have the time and resources to? Just because you got into driving cars doesn't mean you need to know how to fix it, though I agree it would be ideal. I don't need to feel like I'm an idiot because I can't fix a hybrid Toyota to enjoy driving it.

So the point is, can't people who don't fix things enjoy flying RC's as well assuming they treat it right? Just because some people don't fix things too much doesn't mean they need to be cut out of the whole RC experience.

I just feel there need to be huge a change in the RC world."
Last edited by kratos; Jun 13, 2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 02:15 PM
Mom says I'm special...
Aurora, CO
Joined Apr 2003
2,562 Posts
With something so complicated (though small), there are always going to be maintenance issues, even if it's perfect out of the box. And if you don't know how to put it together, what are you going to do when you crash? And you WILL crash.

The key is to retain your sense of humor about it all. Just ask Mocha!

A. You can't take it with you.
B. I wish there were another way, but crashing IS inevitable.

And yes, I do fix my own computers and cars...no one but me has touched my computers or cars EVER. Maybe that's why I have so little time for the hobby!! (truthfully my kids take up most of my time, which is the way it SHOULD be, IMO)

Fortunately we have this great forum to help us out and to vent our frustrations with those who wholeheartedly understand!!
beafraid8 is offline Find More Posts by beafraid8
Old Jun 13, 2007, 02:24 PM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratos

I just feel there need to be huge a change in the RC world."

This is just my opinion, but to answer your question...

No.

but...

...To use your analogy, the only way you could have what you want is to pay someone else to maintain it. Something will eventually go wrong with these machines and you have to make the decision to either fix it yourself or pay an experienced technician (i.e. a hobbyist in this case) to fix the problem for you.

What you're asking for doesn't exist in any practical manner, at least not that I'm aware of.
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member