HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:42 AM
Rank Newbie
South Alabama
Joined Jul 2004
697 Posts
Multiplex EasyStar Thread 14 - Better'n sliced bread!

At the prompting of the very noble and prestigious Zoomzoom here is (drum-roll please...) EasyStar Thread 14 - Better'n sliced bread!

(Hopefully) here is a link to the previous thread.

Multiplex EasyStar Thread 13 - Epic Adventure

I would like to thank all of you who worked for, campaigned for, and voted for me in attaining the grande recognition of being the instigator, er, creator of, uh...the guy that started the 14th thread in this this somewhat, no...kinda long, no....very long, no....exceedingly long, no, that won't do it either,....er,....how about....really, really, really , really, really, long multi-thread saga of the infamous MULTIPLEX EASY STAR. I'm beginning to think the only way to kill this plane is to throw it in a fire or run over it with a lawnmower...and I'm not completely sure the last way would do it!

And now...on to EasyStar Thread 14 - Better'n slided bread!

Ed
Intheswamp
(and piney woods)
intheswamp is offline Find More Posts by intheswamp
Last edited by intheswamp; Dec 16, 2004 at 11:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2004, 12:12 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
One of these days RCGroups will kick us out for using bandwidth and disk space. Or they'll ask Multiplex for sponsoring just for our threads!!!
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old Dec 16, 2004, 02:42 PM
Plane Crazy
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Aug 2003
1,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelic_flyer

2 questions:

1. Is the turning to the right caused by the motor torque or is it my plane setup?
2. Why is my AUW so light at 607g when the instructions say about 680g? What did I forget to put in to it?!!

GF
your doing fine, Gealic_flyer. keep going, and try circling soon.
I understand you are new to RC flight - despite earlier tries?

the following my be helpful:
When you fly towards you, you can either turn around and look over your shoulder to make it easier, or if you face the plane coming towards you, remember to put the stick to the down wing.

re you rquestions:
1) quite a lot of ES tend to the right. I don't know why.
2) AUW depends on type of equipment. if you have rx, 2 servos, ESC, motor, and battery, in other words, if you can control rudder, elevator and throttle through your tx, you haven't forgotten anything vital.
splash99 is offline Find More Posts by splash99
Old Dec 16, 2004, 03:48 PM
Arizona Aviator
Prescott AZ
Joined Dec 2004
165 Posts
newest newbie in the group

Hi Guys,
I thought I'd quit lurking and say hello. My first ES is being shipped, hopefully in time for me to turn my 14 year old kid on to r/c flying for Christmas. I had tried teaching him last summer on a Spirit ARF sailplane at our local not-very-good slope hill, but even with a buddy cord I managed to let him smash it. Hopefully the ES will be easier for him to handle and be more survivable. All the hints and tricks I've gleaned from reading through this thread will be very helpful.
pysonya is offline Find More Posts by pysonya
Old Dec 16, 2004, 04:31 PM
Opel Superboss, The Car!
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2004
195 Posts
gaelic_flyer :

Mine also tends to go right, my buddy's also.

Just trim to the left a little. Easyily solved.

Dont worry about weight. Lighter is better for gliding.
As long as she glides well and flies well, dont muck about too much with the COG. Each plane will be different based on battery weight, servos weight etc etc. Have the COG like you like it.

With the Easy star this means simply more or less elevator trim, no big deal, unless it is hugely off centre of gravity.

Glad you are coming right eventually, sounds just like me in the beggining.

:-)

Supe
superboss is offline Find More Posts by superboss
Old Dec 16, 2004, 06:42 PM
Where's your CofG?
San Diego
Joined Apr 2004
777 Posts
I just have to throw in that I love sloping the Easy Star. I slope a place with a very small landing space and I can slam the ES down without damage unlike my built up glider. My two cents, keep it going.

Gibby
Gibby is offline Find More Posts by Gibby
Old Dec 16, 2004, 07:13 PM
strawcuter
Winchester, KY
Joined Feb 2004
284 Posts
Turning Right Issue

My EZ has the right turn issue. I wish I could remember who it was but a couple of threads back some one found what may be causing the problem of right turns on the EZ.
They measured from the wing tips to the tips of the horizontal stablizer and found a significant difference between the two sides.

When I measured mine I found about an 18 mm difference. To counter this, I centered my rudder servo then loosened the allen screw holding the rudder control wire and set the rudder to the left enough to just counter the right turn tendency. This winter I plan to very carefully carve the tail assembly out of the fuselage, adjust it until the measurements from wing tips to horizontal stablizer tips on each side are equaland then reglue it.

I have EZ #2 waiting to be built and will check for the measurement problem before I glue it in.

Bob
strawcuter is offline Find More Posts by strawcuter
Old Dec 16, 2004, 08:59 PM
Don Leitch
Auckland, Kelston, New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Joined Oct 2004
38 Posts
I checked the balance of my Es spanwise and it was heavy one side so I added weight to equalise it. Its never had a turn right issue but would have if I hadnt checked the balance.
I feel altering trim to compensate increases drag and trim alters at speed so get it right from the start
It glides beautifully from a hand launch.
The rudder is extended, I laminated sheet balsa each each side and covered it with white iron on film. Its the only mod I did to my ES. Its had hundreds of flights now and still looks like new.
I never put strapping tape on it. (adds weight) Just a layer of tape underneath it to save grass stains on the fuse.
Don Leitch is offline Find More Posts by Don Leitch
Last edited by Don Leitch; Dec 16, 2004 at 09:03 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 09:04 PM
Singapore , Singapore
Joined Sep 2004
410 Posts
EZ star !!! my most loved plane...

100% launch and land ...20mins flight timw on stock config..

never have to worry about anything even when the field has glitch zone..
it still flies...

love this plane..

might just get a brushless for it.
fuse is offline Find More Posts by fuse
Old Dec 16, 2004, 11:24 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Mine turns right at WOT, but that's motor torque throwing the right wing down and lifting the left up. I'm experimenting with a Throttle to Rudder mix to counter the torque effect at high throttle. I don't think a stock EZ* would have this problem. Though the distance tip to HS tip makes a ton of sense to me. I'll have to check that too but mine goes straight at half to slightlly more than half throttle.
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:48 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
"I feel altering trim to compensate increases drag and trim alters at speed so get it right from the start" Don Leitch

Hear, hear, well said. Applause!

This is basically why I used a sullivan flexible cable for the rudder, rather than the stock steel rod, as it is better to grease the skids, rather than just apply brute force. For some reason my rudder was difficult to push with the stock control rod, maybe it had some glue on it or was a little bent, but the sullivan cable was cheap! You can bend these flexi-cables in a circle and they are still easy to operate, where as a slight bend in the steel rod makes it very difficult.

Also the CG needs to be pretty right on, otherwise power on, power off flying characteristics will be different, resulting in a harder plane to fly for us Newbies. tt

Has Snodgrass shown up?
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Dec 17, 2004, 01:21 AM
Joined Oct 2004
86 Posts
You can put a coin as a counterweight at the wingtip.
myulgong is offline Find More Posts by myulgong
Old Dec 17, 2004, 07:57 AM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Nov 2004
29 Posts
Gibby,

I would like to slope my ES, any hints or tips yuo could give? How much wind, prop on or off?
Thanks
T. Michael
Tucson
TMichael is offline Find More Posts by TMichael
Old Dec 17, 2004, 11:23 AM
Arizona Aviator
Prescott AZ
Joined Dec 2004
165 Posts
Folding prop

My ES arrived late yesterday afternoon, almost exactly 24 hours after placing the order with Hobby People. Now the challenge will be to leave it in the box under the tree until Christmas morning.

Does anyboddy have experience using a folding prop on their ES?
pysonya is offline Find More Posts by pysonya
Old Dec 17, 2004, 01:13 PM
Don Leitch
Auckland, Kelston, New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Joined Oct 2004
38 Posts
coin as a counterweight yes you can try a coin and if it works at that weight then get a sliver of lead (same weight) insert it into the wing itself. Anything stuck on the outside creates drag .
just my 2 cents worth lol
Don Leitch is offline Find More Posts by Don Leitch
Closed Thread