HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2013, 07:59 AM
Cleveland
Joined Aug 2002
288 Posts
Discussion
Build of 1.2M (47.25") Foiling Cat

I am using the plans from Chris in Germany with modification's we have discussed. the plans are available FREE here;

http://modelmultis.wordpress.com/get-one/kampai-mini40/

Chris built in 2010 and his build is here;

http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showt...ghlight=Kampai

I decided to start with the foils and after months of research have decided to start with T foils with the Bradford height controls shown below to not only lift the hulls but provide Righting Moment also to help prevent capsize and pitch poling.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...NmI0ZDFmOGM2ZA

I have used naca 0010 and 0008 for the lifting and daggerboard+rudder. Info here;

http://airfoiltools.com/search/index...D=5&yt0=Search

Click on airfoil details, then on that page Reynolds Numbers, then on that page enter your span in meters, speed and down further click on 68 degree water. You will then the efficiency of that foil in water.

I ordered foam cores because I have never been able to hand sand a plug with the tolerance required for this small of a foil and it was MUCH faster to mold.

https://www.flyingfoam.com/

I used their Quick Order EPP cores so I could bend it more than 90 degrees for an L foil down the road. It bends around a 3/4" rod with no problem. But it is a bear to work with, huge holes and very floppy, I spent several weeks filling the holes with spackling compound after spraying them with black paint to ensure I did not sand too far and making sure the were straight.
Next time I will use their EPS or better yet their 25# which has a much finer texture. In Fact I may use that for my wing sail patterns.

Foil molds are done and fiberglass has been infused as a mold test and came out very well.

Currently working on center pod plug and hull plug, both should be done this week.

If your wondering what started this project

Replay: AMERICA'S CUP FINAL - RACE 19 (2 hr 38 min 34 sec)

race starts at 10 minutes.
JIM CALDWELLA is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELLA
Last edited by JIM CALDWELLA; Nov 19, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2013, 08:28 AM
Joined Apr 2013
21 Posts
Jim,

Are you planning a single central rudder like Chris, or twin T-foil rudders?

Jim.
mijj is offline Find More Posts by mijj
Old Nov 04, 2013, 08:08 PM
Cleveland
Joined Aug 2002
288 Posts
Single rudder.
Old Nov 05, 2013, 12:36 AM
Joined Apr 2013
21 Posts
T-foil?
Old Nov 05, 2013, 06:56 AM
Cleveland
Joined Aug 2002
288 Posts
T foil just like the lifting foils, all foils with Bradford System including rudder to help prevent pitch pole I hope.
Old Nov 05, 2013, 07:43 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa Beach
Joined Jan 2010
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM CALDWELLA View Post
T foil just like the lifting foils, all foils with Bradford System including rudder to help prevent pitch pole I hope.
========
You're going to use a wand on the rudder foil? What will the set-up be for the angle of incidence of the main foils and rudder foil?
Great project....
DLord is offline Find More Posts by DLord
Old Nov 06, 2013, 05:58 AM
Cleveland
Joined Aug 2002
288 Posts
I am not going to use a flap I am going to change the angle of the foil so the incidence will be self adjusting.
Old Nov 08, 2013, 06:33 PM
Cleveland
Joined Aug 2002
288 Posts
Her are some pic's the infusion of the foil mold test. I was going to take pictures of the infusion but it happened in seconds. Second photo is the start of peel ply tear off.You can see from the last photo I almost shut the resin off too early.
Last edited by JIM CALDWELLA; Nov 08, 2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 02:44 AM
Joined Apr 2013
21 Posts
Rudder with winglets

Jim,

Have you seen this thread of Claudio's? Looks like a neat mechanism for controlling the angle of a T-foil.

Jim.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:28 AM
Cleveland
Joined Aug 2002
288 Posts
Thanks Jim, I had not seen that. but my solution is very similar to the last picture only the uprights on the rudder post will hold the bellcrank for the 440 control rods.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 06:50 AM
Cleveland
Joined Aug 2002
288 Posts
Center pod.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 09:01 PM
Joined Apr 2013
21 Posts
Quote:
Jim C,

This is just a guess, but I wonder if you are going to run into longitudinal stability problems with both the main foils and rudder foil self adjusting? I'm imagining some sort of feedback instability.

Jim.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 05:49 AM
Cleveland
Joined Aug 2002
288 Posts
That's a possibility, but different spring rate's should take care of that. Stronger on the main foils for early lift off, lighter on the rudder should change the cycle rate.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 06:03 AM
Joined Apr 2013
21 Posts
Quote:
That's a possibility, but different spring rate's should take care of that. Stronger on the main foils for early lift off, lighter on the rudder should change the cycle rate.
Crosswise instability.

Yes, I can see that different spring rates is a good approach.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 06:35 AM
Cleveland
Joined Aug 2002
288 Posts
Hull plug;
I used 3m 77 to stick the packing tape covered templates to the press board material I used for stations then hot glued the foam between the stations. When I cut the plug off the board the top of some of the templates had disappeared so I had to dig down in the foam to reestablish the lines, then cut foam pieces to fit and fill with spackling compound a reshape. I should have used a stronger glue for the templates.
Last edited by JIM CALDWELLA; Nov 17, 2013 at 06:43 AM.