HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:54 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
United States, KY, Leitchfield
Joined Jul 2008
440 Posts
Discussion
looking to trade...or what would it take to conver?

I have a nearly new ax10 Scorpion but would rather have a four wheel basher. Any trades out there or advice how to convert the ax10 to a good basher?
Thanks a bunch
BigD1961 is offline Find More Posts by BigD1961
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by BigD1961; Dec 14, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:35 AM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
is your ax10 the original scorpion or the new ridgecrest? there is major differences between the two so ya need to know which one you have.

either way you can made a great basher out of either one.

check out rccrawler.com there are tons of threads on this, and if ya wanna get crazy you could turn the ax into an FOFF rig!!
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:39 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
Joined Jul 2008
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
is your ax10 the original scorpion or the new ridgecrest? there is major differences between the two so ya need to know which one you have.

either way you can made a great basher out of either one.

check out rccrawler.com there are tons of threads on this, and if ya wanna get crazy you could turn the ax into an FOFF rig!!
It's the original Scorpion. It's like new although I bought it when they first hit the stores.
Thanks for the help. I'll check out the website.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More SEFF pics.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:11 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
Joined Jul 2008
440 Posts
Pics of the Scorpion

Here it is. As you can see, it's nearly like new.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:26 PM
The wind caused that!!
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
yeah it depends on what kind of basher you want. any idea what turn the motor is that is installed in it?

i would check rccrawler.com they have an ax10 section that would give you all kinds of ideas. that section is mostly for crawlers tho, the FOFF section has tons of extremely fast rigs for hill climbing and sand.

if you want to go really fast there are quite a few upgrades you would have to make. most of these upgrades also apply if you wanna make it a good crawler to.

aluminum c-hubs and knuckles (unless you want 4ws get rid of the c-hubs and knuckles on the rear axle and put on some aluminum lockouts.
MIP driveshafts
robinson racing gears for the transmission
4 link suspension
that will get you going for starters.

remember the ax10 uses the same axles and transmission as the scx10.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:02 AM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
Joined Jul 2008
440 Posts
Quote:
yeah it depends on what kind of basher you want. any idea what turn the motor is that is installed in it?

i would check rccrawler.com they have an ax10 section that would give you all kinds of ideas. that section is mostly for crawlers tho, the FOFF section has tons of extremely fast rigs for hill climbing and sand.

if you want to go really fast there are quite a few upgrades you would have to make. most of these upgrades also apply if you wanna make it a good crawler to.

aluminum c-hubs and knuckles (unless you want 4ws get rid of the c-hubs and knuckles on the rear axle and put on some aluminum lockouts.
MIP driveshafts
robinson racing gears for the transmission
4 link suspension
that will get you going for starters.

remember the ax10 uses the same axles and transmission as the scx10.
It has a 55 turn motor. The ESC is a Novak Rooster Crawler. I am sure I could change the motor. I have a 12 turn in my Traxxas Stampede and that works well for that. I would think it would also be a gearing issue for the speed. I also have the dif lockers in it, and I would think I would want to take those out? Maybe just the front one?
I wonder if the ESC will take the faster speeds?
All things considered, I would really like to trade it for a Wraith and have a more all around vehicle for my needs. I like the looks of the Wraith also, so that helps.
Anyone interested?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by BigD1961; Dec 15, 2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Edited motor info.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:37 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
Joined Jul 2008
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD1961 View Post
It has a 12 turn motor. The ESC is a Novak Rooster Crawler. I am sure I could change the motor, but I have a 12 turn in my Traxxas Stampede and that works well for it (I know its a larger 540 motor). I would think it would be more of a gearing issue for the speed. I also have the dif lockers in it, and I would think I would want to take those out? Maybe just the front one?
I wonder if the ESC will take the faster speeds?
All things considered, I would really like to trade it for a Wraith and have a more all around vehicle for my needs. I like the looks of the Wraith also, so that helps.
Anyone interested?
Oops....I just looked again, it has a 55 turn Integy motor. Would changing the motor to a 12-15 turn motor be a good idea to crank up the speed? Plus gearing I would assume?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:37 PM
The wind caused that!!
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
if you drop to a 12-15 turn motor you will most likely burn things up. that low of a turn really doesn't have alot of torque and it puts alot of stress on the motor. the wraith you mentioned comes stock with a 20 turn and they get HOT quick.

what batteries are you using?

a good setup for speed and still be able to crawl,,,, 35 turn holmes hobbies torquemaster motor, holmes hobbies brxl esc (or tekin fxr, or castle MMP), 3s lipo. with this setup you would need to change transmission gears (the plastic ones won't last long) and either beef up the stock driveshafts or buy MIP driveshafts.

a great setup for speed..... 3300kv tekin pro 4 , castle MMP, 3s lipo. same upgrades to other parts. gives really good speed, still will crawl but not as good as a brushed setup, but will run cooler in high speed stuff.

i'm not a big fan of Novak esc's. seen way to many of them burn up. i guess back in the day they were decent, but today there are alot better options.

the ax10 has been around so long that the aftermarket is full of upgrade parts for them. you can pretty much make them into anything you want. my personal favorite for a basher would be the holmes hobbies 16t crawlmaster motor, the holmes hobbies brxl esc (waterproofed), all run off 3s lipos. gives good crawling, really good speed, and with the esc already being waterproofed it doesn't take much to get the rest of the electronics waterproofed. this makes it great for mud, water, snow, pretty much anything you wanna throw at it.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:47 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
you should consider switching to a Formula OFF road chassis (FOFF) for a high speed crawler. my scx10 on a Traxxas motor has a tendency to be fast enough to flip it, and it has a lower cg than any ax10. a FOFF Chassis has a much lower cg, and can handle higher speeds.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:28 AM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
Joined Jul 2008
440 Posts
Converting

OK, since I haven't had any bites on a Wraith, maybe I should look at a conversion process. I have a new 27 turn motor, so I am thinking swap it for the 55 turn and do some gearing. So the question at the front of my mind is; will the Rooster Crawler ESC handle the higher speeds OK? I am thinking rock racer, not monster truck.
I still have the original unpainted body, so I am thinking about painting it up, or maybe doing a half body with rear roll cage type of body?
Ideas or comments?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:31 AM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
Joined Jul 2008
440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD1961 View Post
OK, since I haven't had any bites on a Wraith, maybe I should look at a conversion process. I have a new 27 turn motor, so I am thinking swap it for the 55 turn and do some gearing. So the question at the front of my mind is; will the Rooster Crawler ESC handle the higher speeds OK? I am thinking rock racer, not monster truck.
I still have the original unpainted body, so I am thinking about painting it up, or maybe doing a half body with rear roll cage type of body?
Ideas or comments?
I would also consider one of the Proline cage bodies if I could find one cheap. They are no longer being produced, so does anybody have one they want to get rid of? I would, of course, take a used one if somebody has a deal on one. That way I would have the Wraith looks with what I already have.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by BigD1961; Dec 23, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:56 PM
The wind caused that!!
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
the rooster crawler has a 27t limit on motors, but it's also limited to 2s lipo. now you may be able to run it on 3s, but do so at your own risk.

if your really looking at a rock racer style, a 27t motor would be decent, but with only 2s lipo it's not gonna have alot of torque. you should step up to 3s lipos.

for a rock racer (or fast crawler/basher), here is a good setup.

holmes hobbies br-xl esc
holmes hobbies 35t torquemaster, or even better a 16t crawlmaster
3s lipo
start with around a 16t pinion/ 80 t spur. watch the temps on the motor tho.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:38 PM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
Joined Jul 2008
440 Posts
Quote:
the rooster crawler has a 27t limit on motors, but it's also limited to 2s lipo. now you may be able to run it on 3s, but do so at your own risk.

if your really looking at a rock racer style, a 27t motor would be decent, but with only 2s lipo it's not gonna have alot of torque. you should step up to 3s lipos.

for a rock racer (or fast crawler/basher), here is a good setup.

holmes hobbies br-xl esc
holmes hobbies 35t torquemaster, or even better a 16t crawlmaster
3s lipo
start with around a 16t pinion/ 80 t spur. watch the temps on the motor tho.
2S 20C batteries is all I run, so that isn't a problem. I figured I could gear it so the motor doesn't get too hot. I'll start with your suggestions for tooth size.
Thanks a bunch.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:10 AM
The wind caused that!!
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
on 2s your just not gonna have alot of torque. i would actually look for a titan 21t motor. they are a 550 can size and may work better on your lower voltage.

if your wanting a good speed with good torque, your probably not going to be happy till you switch over to 3s lipos.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:20 AM
Team OFG (Old Fat Guys)
Joined Jul 2008
440 Posts
Quote:
on 2s your just not gonna have alot of torque. i would actually look for a titan 21t motor. they are a 550 can size and may work better on your lower voltage.

if your wanting a good speed with good torque, your probably not going to be happy till you switch over to 3s lipos.
Thanks for the advice.
I am trying to do this all on the cheap as money is pretty tight these days. I am breaking out all of my old vehicles (some from the 80's) and looking for fun ways to use them instead of buying new stuff. I'll check out the Titan motor, they should be easy to find. I have a 12 turn Titan from my Stampede, but I assume that would be a little too hot for it? I think I also have a 20 turn Losi motor floating around here, would that work?
Thanks again for the help.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by BigD1961; Dec 24, 2012 at 03:09 PM.