Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Kmot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:52 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,904 Posts
Discussion
Updated Ace Radio, Inc. "Nautical Commander"

I obtained a well used, abused, and very dirty Nautical Commander 5-channel radio from a friend of mine.

I wanted to clean up the case, but it was basically hopeless. So I decided to strip all the electronics out of the case and re-paint it.

I used Rustoleum Hammerite paint, in brown.

I also wanted to decorate the radio case with something nautical, since the original sticker with the ships wheel was not usable. Looking at nautical themed trinkets I found some mermaids and an anchor with rope and I thought the radio case would look good with these items on it. Turns out it looks great!

I also converted it to a 2.4Ghz frequency using the FrSky hack module. And I repaired several bad soldering connections made when my buddy did some modifications to the radio.

It's in pretty good condition now, nice and clean inside and out (except for paint stains on the inside) and all the wiring connections are good and the charging circuit has been restored back to original.

It definitely won't get lost in a crowd of Nautical Commander radio's!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:30 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
457 Posts
Great idea! and fantastic job
shigetyann is offline Find More Posts by shigetyann
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:47 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,904 Posts
Thanks Shigey!

I received my FrSky 2.4Ghz receiver in the mail yesterday, along with a LiPo transmitter battery. So today I went to install the battery and bind the Rx.

To my shock and horror, something has happened to the Rustoleum paint!

On the left side of the case, it looks like it is getting a skin disease. And the aluminum is starting to corrode on the inside. I do not know what happened.. The transmitter has been sitting on a shelf inside my house for weeks now. Before painting, I thoroughly washed and scrubbed the case parts with soap and hot water. It looks like something got sprayed onto the case. And whatever that liquid was, it leeched between the plates and corroded the insides.

This is quite weird. I did leave it outside one or two nights on my workbench. I wonder what happened?

I've never seen this happen before....
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,904 Posts
I'm thinking that maybe a Tomcat came in the yard, and left his mark on the radio. Scurvy little tuna pirate!