Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
Why not just big up some great planes or dubro small/medium control horns from your LHS and make your own linkage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3976 View Post
It's not a premium pack, a week or two wont hurt

So, I got hyped up about installing flaps, go to tower for the flap up-grade hardware, mainly for the control horns, Out of Stock, Late Oct......Anyone have a source?

http://www.espritmodel.com/calypso-f...nkage-set.aspx ...............Coming Soon!
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:05 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,058 Posts
That is true! You Do Not need their flap kit. Its unnecessary. Its easy to do it yourself.*
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:29 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,395 Posts
Why not just big up some great planes or dubro small/medium control horns from your LHS and make your own linkage

Dubro & GP hardware are made of nylon or simular material, not the best for gluing to foam, the stock horns look like styrene which bonds well with c/a

The ply horns are done!
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:56 AM
Joined May 2010
1,605 Posts
This would work better: Fiberglass Control Horns

http://www.espritmodel.com/fiberglass-hardware.aspx

Zb/Esprit Model
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:22 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
764 Posts
I make 'em just like those fiberglass ones, but...

I snip them out of 0.5mm cf sheet. I epoxy them into a slit in the foam, then put some epoxy around the horn, top and bottom of the control surface. I haven't had one fail yet. You can make a lot of horns out of just a few cf scraps.

P.S. It is advisable to sand the cf where the glue is to stick.
ombudsman is offline Find More Posts by ombudsman
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:04 AM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,395 Posts
So..............How many of you have found that the incidence of the horizontal stab is off, requiring way too much up trim on the elevator? Mine is C/G'ed on the spar, and required allmost all of the Tx trim to level off in glide. I have shimed the horiz. stab approx 3/32" but have not tried it yet.It's a shame that flyzone got this wrong, but it's a quick fix!
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,448 Posts
I'm not sure that they got it wrong, mike. My friend's needed the shim for glide trim but I think it's a bit more controllable with power on at the stock incidence and it can be trimmed. I think they went for a compromise between power trim and glide trim knowing that a lot of people won't fly them like gliders. And, as you said, it 's an easy fix. I might add that a great many more sophisticated and expensive gliders need to have their wing and/or tail incidence tweaked for best performance and personal preference.

All that being said; I would suggest to anyone trying their first launch with a Calypso to add a little up trim and either have someone else launch it or take advantage of a hill. We very nearly ended up with a nose in on the very first launch!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:55 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,058 Posts
Can "Someone" take a picture of their shimmed stabilizer?

Thanks
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:21 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,646 Posts
With several Calypso's now at our field I have noticed that if the screw holding the tail on is not completely tight it throws off the incidence. After proper tightening the most up trim needed is at most 1/16".
Now will it fly better if the incidence is changed? thats for the purist to decide, me personally the plane flies great as is and thermals well enough without any modifications,

just my .02 cents,

Tony
cooper998 is online now Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:14 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,395 Posts
My tail end is screwed on properly, and the trim required for glide is 3/16" up elevator. As stated, the C/G is @ the carbon spar. The Calipso does perform quite well in this configuration, however I prefer to shim the horiz stab for "cleaner" aerodynamics

One could shave off approx 3/32" of foam in the horizontal stab seat, toward the front, and not shim the rear, 6 of one, 1/2 doz. of the other

This is my first venture into Sailplanes, I went with the Calipso because I liked the look's over the Radian, and am satisified with it so far.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:09 PM
Flyin' Ryan
USA, MO, Lee's Summit
Joined Sep 2001
980 Posts
We have found that if you use lighter batteries (1300s) moved to the rear of the compartment, this moves the cg back a bit, which helps the up trim issue, and the plane seems to fly better. We were getting 20+ min flights with about 4 climbs in dead air. I was also doing 5 sec motor runs, then attempting precision landings. All very fun, and great practice.

I've also considered embedding an ounce or so in the rear of the fuselage to see if that makes any difference. It wouldn't affect the wing loading enough to be noticable, but it may help the trim issue a bit. However, the Calypso I've been flying is not mine, so it is up to the owner.

Ryan
rycomm is offline Find More Posts by rycomm
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Perhaps this is irrelevant, but do shipments ever arrive early?

I am anxiously awaiting my (back ordered) RxR Calypso.

Does anyone know the present status?
Himself is offline Find More Posts by Himself
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:55 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Just bought a RTF Calypso as an FPV ship. I removed the stock RX and put in a futaba 149DP 72mhz RX. I've flown these RX's over 1.5 miles with my 9C and a lipo bat powering the transmitter. Next payday, I'll buy a new Dragonlink RX to put in it so I don't have to worry about range anymore(5-10 miles with dragonlink).

As for now, I ran the 72mhz antenna between the two servos in the battery compartment. There is a cooling hole that leads to the rear of the fuse, between the wings and tail. I ran my 72mhz antenna down through there and taped it to the underside of the fuse.

LOS maiden is scheduled for 7AM tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll come home and put on my Camera, 600mw video Transmitter and a video battery. Should be FPV'ing with this guy in the next 2-3 days.

I also Ordered a LastOneDown (L1D) Variometer. It's specifically made for FPV sailplanes. Should make finding thermals easier.

I haven't flown it yet, but thus far I'm impressed with the build quality. Should be fun for some +1 hour FPV flgihts.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:24 AM
United States, AZ, Oracle
Joined Jun 2007
52 Posts
I am also eagerly awaiting a Calypso ARF. I preordered one from Hobbyzone and the anticipated delivery date was originally 9/10. This got pushed back to 10/10 and now 10/20 for both the RxR and ARF. The only real delivery date you can believe is when it shows up on your doorstep. What ticks me off is that all of the spare parts you need for an ARF have been in stock for weeks. I could assemble an ARF now but at a much higher cost.
DLG fan is offline Find More Posts by DLG fan
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLG fan View Post
I am also eagerly awaiting a Calypso ARF. I preordered one from Hobbyzone and the anticipated delivery date was originally 9/10. This got pushed back to 10/10 and now 10/20 for both the RxR and ARF. The only real delivery date you can believe is when it shows up on your doorstep. What ticks me off is that all of the spare parts you need for an ARF have been in stock for weeks. I could assemble an ARF now but at a much higher cost.
Alas, 'twas ever thus.
Himself is offline Find More Posts by Himself