RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:38 AM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbugger View Post
If you actually meant the motor, as you said, rather than the jet unit then be aware you will damage the motor using such long screws to mount it to the drive. Hence the warning in the blurb on Giantcod's site. Use the screws that came with the motor or, if you want to be able to change the motor later once the jet is sealed back in the hull, it will be easier to undo them from above if you use M2.5 x 5mm allen screws from someone like
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1507373854...84.m1439.l2649

But I'm probably being paranoid. I expect you meant the jetdrive to the hull rather than the motor to the drive, but better safe than sorry
Giantcod! lol.

I do mean the motor to the jet unit. I am of course aware of using screws that are too long. I have some allen screws I have tried and I have tried with the normal screws from the stock motor. My problem is when I attempt to stick the screws through the motor mount of the jet unit, they will not go in straight, even before I try screwing them into the motor. The screw heads are getting stuck against the side of the drive where the coupler fits inside. It was similar when I took the stock motor off. It will be easier to explain when I'm done work this evening by just posting a picture. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, and my explanation is probably rubbish lol.

Thanks fellas, will get back to you this evening.
Tiernan85 is offline Find More Posts by Tiernan85
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:28 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan85 View Post
Giantcod! lol.
Keep forgetting it changed names after the takeover of the business. I meant Giantshark of course, as you realised.

Are you sure you are using the right 2 holes in the motor. They might possibly look identical at first glance but there is a difference between 1 pair and the other pair 90 degrees around the faceplate. One pair should line up perfectly, allowing the right sort of screws to go straight in. Using the other pair of holes would inevitably cause problems as the screws would 'cock over' to try and make the connection.

But from what you say, it sounds as it the problem manifests itself even before you offer up the motor to the drive. I found the holes in the fibre washer between drive and motor needed a touch with a rat-tail file to get the holes lined up with the moulding, allowing screws to enter straight.

If neither of these solutions works it sounds as if you may have a rogue drive moulding. Will await photos.
madbugger is offline Find More Posts by madbugger
Last edited by madbugger; Nov 16, 2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:52 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,580 Posts
Yeah, what he said..

chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:58 AM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
What metal???? pics are best
I leave it to jeep to explain but I imagine he may be wanting to follow the full-size practice more exactly than any of us. If you look at any of the pics of Oz or New Zealand sprint boat racing you will notice they all have a metal cover above the jet-drive.

Not that you would want to go scale in that regard, after having done such a bang-up job with the black Mercruiser enamel on your nozzle. Be a shame to cover up that perfect work.
Last edited by madbugger; Nov 16, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:41 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,580 Posts
Its a scatter shield..
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:52 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Jan 2008
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Its a scatter shield..
Exactly. I imagine that's what he wants to duplicate in model form. For reasons of scale accuracy rather than any practical purpose.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:05 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
605 Posts
Right, here we are folks. Both sides do pretty much the same thing. I'm sure I can work around it to an extent with a few bits of dremeling here and there, but was just wondering if it was the same with others or was I the lucky bugger lol.

It's next to impossible to screw into the motor without damaging the threads

Last edited by Tiernan85; Nov 16, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiernan85 View Post
Right, here we are folks. Both sides do pretty much the same thing. I'm sure I can work around it to an extent with a few bits of dremeling here and there, but was just wondering if it was the same with others or was I the lucky bugger lol.

It's next to impossible to screw into the motor without damaging the threads

Mine was the same. I dremeled away just enough plastic for the screws to clear. I also had to make the holes slightly larger to fit the screws I used.
For best results, use hex head screws. They make it way easier if you have to remove the motor again for some reason because you can use a key instead of a driver.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Last edited by Firehawk989; Nov 16, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:50 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
1,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjkdan View Post
Hey

Quick few questions for anyone that has resealed the jet
Or
Painted it

What should I paint with?

Shoe goo is the best so far for durable and seel?

Also, what should I use for the metal over the jet intake?
Shoe goo has worked best for me.

For the intake, I kept the stock plastic guard, but I have seen others use small finishing nails or large mesh screen to protect the intake. I have also seen boats with nothing on the intake.
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:51 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
605 Posts
At least I wasn't alone on this. That was my intention also, just wanted to see what others were doing.

Cheers
Firehawk989
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:35 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,580 Posts
To keep your centering of the motor to the mount, assuming its correct to start with, if the screws fit in the HOLES, notching out the area the screws touch wont change the integrity of the mount much, or do as much damage as the motor/shaft being out of center..to many revs for non balance..those aint lookin like standard motor screws much?

And cap screws/allen head, are the only way to go..
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:01 PM
Ireland, Leitrim
Joined Oct 2009
605 Posts
Yep I agree chidago, my intention was to notch the areas the screws touch, not change the holes as they line up fine. I didn't actually realize that's what Firehawk had done.

Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,580 Posts
I am going to order one of Steve's hull, deck and hatch combos, along with the KMB jet..Steve cnc's the hull and takes off .040 from the bottom of the jet to accept it, and pre cuts both holes..

He has done a lotta work on this, I give him credit..makes a beautiful stainless grill, also..should be silly fast with the KMB in it..

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:01 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Oct 2012
63 Posts
OK so the 3200kv motor instead of a 4800kv makes a massive difference, thanks to those who suggested this after my last posts. The only thing I need to do now is add bigger Deans plugs and use my car batteries instead of the smaller batteries I use for mini cars and planes that have the mini Dezns plugs; I could get it going at speed for about 1 minute and then it would drop down to boring speed. But man when it goes it sure does go; need to find a bigger creek.

WP 20121117 053218Z (0 min 42 sec)
nckmat is offline Find More Posts by nckmat