HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:58 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
931 Posts
Question
Jasco Thermic 70 Cabin Fusalage for a floater??

OK, so of course I know it's going to be in the floater class and not a DLG or breezy slope candidate........ but it's just sooooooo classic and cool looking that sooner or later I'd like to build one.

I just ordered plans for the Cabin Fusalage, Dual-Spar(wing) Jasco Thermic 50 and 70 from Tom Martin RC.

I'm thinking of making the Thermic 70 but changing the dual vertical beam spars to a top/bottom I-Beam spar for strength, changing the lifting airfoil of the Horiz stab to a much thinner symmetrical airfoil and a few more things I'm sure I'll think of whilst I do it.

I plan on this being a Hi-start lauched plane for really dead air movement days or really gentle slopes.

**** So THE main question is: How many people have built this plane and how did it fly, How did it turn, Does it need a bigger rudder, Does it need a little less dihedral angle in the center section or outboard tips??? Throw me a bone here, please.......

Or I'll try a Cleveland Condor 72"

Thanks - Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Last edited by Pauliwog; Jan 29, 2011 at 02:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2011, 07:16 PM
Peoria, AZ
Joined Jun 2001
1,054 Posts
Paul,

The stabs on these FF gliders were quite large, which was the trend of the era. If you go through the work of changing some of the parameters to suit your applications, you can get away with reducing the stab area by some factor.

A symmetrical tail section would be great, nicer than a slab too. A lifting stab also works with rc, flying traits are different and fun.

John
John Cole is offline Find More Posts by John Cole
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:16 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
931 Posts
Thanks for the input....

John, Thanks for the feedback on the Thermic 70, I don't know how it would compare to a lot of today's planes but the cool and style factors alone are enough to try to build one or something very similar (Cleveland Albatross, Cleveland Condor).

Thanks - Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog