HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 09, 2011, 04:28 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,237 Posts
Build Log
Sternwheeler Towboat

This build is dedicated to memory of Joe Brown.

Know on this and many other forums as TowboatJoe, we all owe a great debt of gratitude for his insightful and inspirational help over the years. I discovered his website years ago and have benefited both in my skills and understanding of the craft of building towboat models. My model of the Major is based on input and pictures so kindly offered by Joe early in this build. His input continued during the build right up to his last days.

Although Joe is no longer with us the knowledge and passion of workboats he shared will live on.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Started work today on a Sternwheeler Towboat. Only got a little done today as I discovered I need a heater in my shop. Temps dropped 10 degrees since this morning.
Rmay is offline Find More Posts by Rmay
Last edited by Rmay; Mar 04, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2011, 04:31 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,904 Posts
Cooooool!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 09, 2011, 07:30 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,305 Posts
Fun. Looks a lot like:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3456840
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jan 09, 2011, 08:25 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
A friend of mine, Bernie Kain, built a 1:32 scale model of the Barbara back around 1990 before Steve bought her and renamed her Barbara H. It was fully detailed inside and ran great.
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Jan 09, 2011, 09:18 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,662 Posts
There is a sternwheel towboat on display at the National Mississippi River Museum, the Logsdon. Not as big as the Barbara H. I wish i had gotten photos the last time I was out there. Guess I have to make another trip this summer.

http://www.steamboats.org/steamboat-...s/logsdon.html

http://www.mississippirivermuseum.com

In the photo on wikipedia you can just see her past the pilot house and fence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...m_%26_Aquarium
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jan 09, 2011, 09:48 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
I found a photo of the Doanld B model Bernie built. Barbara H used to be the Donald B
i built a 1:32 scale model of the Lady lois still working the Ohio and Kanawha Rivers today.

I also built a 1:48 scale model of the George M Verity. It's a museum in Keokuk, IA
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:37 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,264 Posts
I'm watching this build.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 10, 2011, 04:54 AM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,237 Posts
I think that's what I really like about this forum - you post and get lots of great replies.

towboatjoe: I know about your site, been there many, MANY times. In fact got most of my motivation from reading your site.

My towboat will be similar to the Barbra H, but since I'm not working from any plans I’ll just create a prototype of my own that embodies all the great characteristics of many of these great boats.

Thanks guys!
Last edited by Rmay; Jan 10, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:41 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Here's an easy to build sternwheeler that has the drive in the center of the wheel. It's owned by Madison Coal and Supply, Charleston, WV. They also own the Lady Lois and Laura J.

This boat has a straight shaft, but there are some with split wheels that can reverse one side while the other side goes forward.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 05:47 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,237 Posts
Thanks for the great pictures and layout. Tempting to build the Major, but I think the split drive would be a problem this late in the construction. Towboatjoe do you know if the Barbra H had rudders off the stern only or duel rudders - forward and aft of the wheel?
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:09 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
i know she had three monkey rudders (aft of wheel) i'm not sure about the steering rudders (forward of wheel) I'll email Bernie and see if he can tell me.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:19 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
I sent Bernie an email. I asked him to join us here. We'll see. Here's plans for Lady lois. you can use these for the wheel. She had two steering rudders and two monkey rudders.

I've got photos of both lady Lois and Major. Anyone who plans to build them can email me for photos towboatjoe@yahoo.com

You can see more photos of the Lady lois and George m Verity models here
http://www.towboatjoe.com/models.htm
Old Jan 10, 2011, 06:21 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
I agree with everyone else here and I can't wait to see how your build comes along. Happy modeling and take lots of photos.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 07:24 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,662 Posts
Your thread got me thinking about a former member of our club. He had a beautiful western stern wheeler. I don't know if you will be as ambitious as he was making your wheel. His had 1100 nuts and bolts holding it together. We all figured there was one more nut running loose.

At that time another member had built a cheesy little paddle wheel boat from some plans in a magazine. It had foil & pinstripe windows and a o-ring belt to drive the wheel. As it would travel it squeeked. Kids loved it. He would point at his boat and yell over to the other member that there wasn't one screw in his paddlewheel.
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Jan 10, 2011, 09:01 PM
Joined Oct 2008
303 Posts
Prinz Willem, That model in your post is the W.H. Bancroft, An Alaska sternwheel workboat built in Seattle WA in 1907. I sell the plans for her at 1/4" = 1' scale. The Bancroft was a freight boat originally built for hauling freshly caught fish (probably salmon) from the Seine boats that cought them to the cannery. She was owned by the Northwest Fisheries Co. and worked around the mouth of the Copper River, In AK
John Fryant is offline Find More Posts by John Fryant