SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:47 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Darn.....was sounding pretty good (except for the Denney's part...can't stand Denney's)....

SteveT.
Well- if Denny's doesn't tickle your taste buds, there's Burger King, Jack in the Box, McDonalds, Rooster's Cafe (and gas station), and two chinese fast food joints, all within 300 yards of each other. Red Neck gourmet heaven.
hookpilot is offline Find More Posts by hookpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:07 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,756 Posts
What?? No "In-N-Out" ??

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 29, 2015, 08:58 AM
Mini-Me is watching you...
Hemet, CA
Joined Aug 2010
516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
What?? No "In-N-Out" ??

SteveT.
That's a SOCAL place only.
thenodemaster is offline Find More Posts by thenodemaster
Old Jan 29, 2015, 01:10 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,756 Posts
Nope...I live in Norcal (San Jose)...and they're all over here...

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 29, 2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 06:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
33 Posts
Hey Mike,
I'm still enjoying this fantastic build and all the info I am learning from it. I have a question for you for my own build. I found calculators for hull displacement and I have an idea what my paddle wheeler might weigh, and how low it will sit in the water. What I don't know is how much hull should be above the water. I think its called freeboard. These full scale paddlers seem to have the lowest deck fairly close to the surface of the water. My boat will be just a " looks close enough scale " paddlewheeler based on the Liberty Belle in Disney World. How big of waves should I plan for ? You have build and operated many boats so I figure you have plenty of experience about what to expect when running these boats. The hull will be built up and hollow to allow me to put the heavy boiler down lower to bring the CG lower. That being said it makes the idea of swamping and sinking real ! I really dont want to have to learn the skill of diving to get my boat back !
Pete
apointofview is offline Find More Posts by apointofview
Old Jan 30, 2015, 01:56 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,431 Posts
Displacement and Design Waterline

Quote:
Originally Posted by apointofview View Post
Hey Mike,
I'm still enjoying this fantastic build and all the info I am learning from it. I have a question for you for my own build. I found calculators for hull displacement and I have an idea what my paddle wheeler might weigh, and how low it will sit in the water. What I don't know is how much hull should be above the water. I think its called freeboard. These full scale paddlers seem to have the lowest deck fairly close to the surface of the water. My boat will be just a " looks close enough scale " paddlewheeler based on the Liberty Belle in Disney World. How big of waves should I plan for ? You have build and operated many boats so I figure you have plenty of experience about what to expect when running these boats. The hull will be built up and hollow to allow me to put the heavy boiler down lower to bring the CG lower. That being said it makes the idea of swamping and sinking real ! I really dont want to have to learn the skill of diving to get my boat back !
Pete
PETE:
I shared your displacement concern before starting construction of Preston. Snagboats had very low freeboard, probably for ease of handling logs,stumps and other debris on deck. Shallow draft vessels usually don't have a lot of freeboard. The full-sized Preston had a draft of 3 feet and 3 feet of freeboard. She did not venture out in waves more than a few feet, Sea State 2 maybe. Most of her work was done on rivers, Sea State 0.

In looking at my model, you'll see that I fudged and added 1/2" to the depth. I was concerned that at scale, even small waves could swamp the boat. It also gave me more displacement to play around with since I didn't know exactly what the steam plant would weigh. The design waterline was set to achieve optimum paddle blade depth. That happened to be, 1.5 inches. Sitting at this design waterline, the model will displace 55.25 cubic inches of fresh water. A cubic foot of fresh water weighs 62.4 pounds. So I built the model on the light side giving me displacement to play with. Having to add buoyancy if you build too heavy is not good. I have not weighed Preston recently, but sent her to Dave at about 37 pounds and at that weight she sits just a little above design waterline. I'm hoping the engines, condenser and other non-boiler items will come in at around 4 pounds. This should bring the waterline down to the correct depth for best paddlewheel efficiency, or bottom blade just submerged. Hope this helps.

Mike
Old Jan 30, 2015, 07:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
33 Posts
Thanks Mike that does help. If I am doing the math right it looks like you plan on having about 1.63 inches above the water line to the top of your lowest deck when you are properly ballasted. Is that correct ? So I should plan on only encountering a wave no bigger than the wake left by a passing duck Calm mornings and evenings only. Do you have a bilge pump ? I dont remember reading about one. I guess just about any wave that would get in would overwhelm an on board pump huh? This gets just plane scary !
apointofview is offline Find More Posts by apointofview
Old Yesterday, 03:20 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apointofview View Post
Thanks Mike that does help. If I am doing the math right it looks like you plan on having about 1.63 inches above the water line to the top of your lowest deck when you are properly ballasted. Is that correct ? So I should plan on only encountering a wave no bigger than the wake left by a passing duck Calm mornings and evenings only. Do you have a bilge pump ? I dont remember reading about one. I guess just about any wave that would get in would overwhelm an on board pump huh? This gets just plane scary !
That's about right. I have the luxury of choosing the flat water days to run the boat. Island Lake is small, consequently there is virtually no fetch so wind-driven waves are very small. Windy days, I stay off the lake. Most of the time, it's mirror smooth.

Mike