HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2015, 10:30 PM
P31
United States, WA, Spanaway
Joined Dec 2011
603 Posts
Discussion
Cannon's

Hello all. I am looking for some small wood Cannons, the size that would go on the 48" constitution by Model Shipways. I know I can get the metal one's but they are a little pricey, and I need 31 of them.
Gary
P31 is online now Find More Posts by P31
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2015, 11:23 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,718 Posts
Get one metal one, make a mold, and cast what you need in resin
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Feb 09, 2015, 08:31 AM
P31
United States, WA, Spanaway
Joined Dec 2011
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTodd View Post
Get one metal one, make a mold, and cast what you need in resin
Thanks Jerry, I thought of that one too. Just wondering if there was something else.
P31 is online now Find More Posts by P31
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:40 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,457 Posts
I doubt you'll find cheaper than metal, or Jerry's idea. Turning wood to make a 1:48 cannon would generate lots of waste and scrapped cannons due to defects in the wood, I suspect, raising the price.
Brooks is online now Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Feb 11, 2015, 12:42 PM
Ah, so its THIS again. . .
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Jan 2013
423 Posts
I feel your pain man. Ive been looking for 1:32 scale Dahlgren guns. LoL, ya good luck.

But here is what I encourage. figure out the scale of your guns, and figure out all the size and what not. Then look on Ebay for guns that size. You may find some plastic or some such that will work just fine.

Also, alternatively, buy one metal one, and turn the rest on a lathe out of plastic, or nylon.

OR get a wooden dowel, and make a lathe out of your drill motor, and turn the dowels. OR if you have a belt sander, you could turn them by hand on the belt sander.

OR you could make them out of another material. Say paper-mache or cardboard. Then use some finishing resin like Zpoxy and make them all durable and stuff.

OR !!! Sculpey. Its a polymer clay that hardens in the oven. Buy one Metal one, make a mold in Sculpey, THEN !!!! Cast them in the mold and oven roast to perfection !! Tada!! Cannon at a discount.

Now if I could just find 3 Dahlgren cannon. 2 24 pounders and one 12 pounder. But I suspect that I will indeed be turning mine on my belt-sander.

Well thats my 3 and a half cents. I know you asked for 2, but hey, Im generous like that. LoL !
Ronin055 is offline Find More Posts by Ronin055