Old Jul 03, 2015, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
Airliner Builder
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2010
2,211 Posts
Build Log
64'' Boeing 767-200 Depron Build

I finally think I'm ready to build a large(ish) widebody airliner so I chose one of my favorite planes, the Boeing 767-200ER.

I am using the Skyline Paper Model Air New Zealand card model plans. I HIGHLY recommend them because not only does it include formers and airfoils, it has wing and tail spar drawings as well. Its basically a mini set of plans. The plans are scaled up by 240%, tiled in Adobe PDF, printed and taped together.

Specs:
1/30 scale
62.5'' wingspan
64'' length

ZFW goal (no battery): <4 lbs
RTF weight goal: <6 lbs
Estimated TOGA thrust: 6.8 lbs (3.1kg)

Details such as the number of wheels, complex flap systems and stab trim have always scared me away from these larger planes, so I've decided to simply a few things.

First, the horizontal stabilizers will be "full-flying" and the I will be building scale-looking fixed takeoff flaps. The small inboard aileron/flap control surface (anyone know the name for it if it has one?) in between the inboard and outboard flaps will be functional to compensate for the lack of spoilers helping me through low speed turns. Also, I ordered powerful fans to help get me off a grass runway.

Electronics:
Alloy 72mm 2550kv EDFs (these look great, especially with the low current draw and high thrust)
6S 5200mah 50-100c LiPo
60A ESCs
2S 1000mah LiPo for the rx and servos
2x 17g MG servos for the horizontal stabs
6x 12g MG servos for the rudder, NG, and four ailerons
E-flite 10-15 retracts

I have not chosen a color scheme yet but I have my eyes on Air NZ, Continental and Air Canada. Demondriver already has an excellent Delta 762 so I won't touch that scheme

This project will start out slow for the next month while I wrap other builds up then I will be rushing to get this done before college starts!

Ethan
WAGliderGuy is offline Find More Posts by WAGliderGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2015, 01:39 PM
Airliner Builder
Joined Feb 2010
2,211 Posts
Here are some pictures of what the completed card model looks like from Skyline. Keep in mind, it is a large paper model at 26''!
Old Jul 03, 2015, 01:50 PM
Airliner Builder
Joined Feb 2010
2,211 Posts
Starting the tail

Before I could start, I had to make room and get some servos from my CRJ-200. Although I had plans to repair the wing core damage from a bad xwind landing last summer, I decided it wasn't worth the effort to restore this plane. At least the parts (minus the fans) will be put to good use

The first thing I put together was the aft end of the fuselage where the horizontal stabs will connect to the fuselage. CF rods in the stab will connect to brass tubes inside the structure and two 17g servos will move them. This is the next step to complete before I can work on moving forward to the main fuselage and start building the vertical stab.

Ethan
Old Jul 03, 2015, 01:58 PM
Find More Posts by cwrr5
Skylar's People
United States, AZ, Marana
Joined Dec 2011
1,279 Posts
Cool! Yet another Ethan-liner!

I take it this one won't be a 17 day build?
cwrr5 is online now Find More Posts by cwrr5
Old Jul 03, 2015, 02:04 PM
Airliner Builder
Joined Feb 2010
2,211 Posts
Airfoil

On the past five depron builds I've done, I used my own airfoils (clark-y in the past and semi-symmetrical recently). This required some modifications to the size of the wing skins and shape of the wing box. With the larger size of this plane, I am thinking about using the scale 767 airfoil.

What y'all think of this? My only worry is the large amount of positive incidence. The CRJ pictured above had negative incidence that I didn't catch before the maiden and it was very hard to control and trim until I added a degree or two of positive incidence. However, it didn't have nearly as much as the airfoil pictured below.

With the fixed 15 degree flaps, I am not worried about a high landing speed but rather stall tendencies.

@cwr5 LOL I promised myself I will never ever get myself stressed over a build that fast again
Old Jul 03, 2015, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by demondriver
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
17,300 Posts
Sweeeeeet!

Ethan if it wasn't for Skyline paper models you'd be out a business lol

I bet This E-liner will be done in 15mins. . . . No ... . 15 days tops lol

Subbed!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2015, 02:09 PM
Airliner Builder
Joined Feb 2010
2,211 Posts
Haha that is very true I used some much lower quality ones on the C-141 build and I was pulling my hair out. Someday I need to learn how design these with RC in mind so I can build whatever I want
Old Jul 03, 2015, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by cwrr5
Skylar's People
United States, AZ, Marana
Joined Dec 2011
1,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGliderGuy View Post
<snip>@cwr5 LOL I promised myself I will never ever get myself stressed over a build that fast again
Probably a wise choice, but if anybody can crank it out that fast, it would be you.

I don't think the airfoil choice, even at this bigger size, will really make a noticeable difference. Use what looks "right" and makes it easier to build, focus more on incidence and balance. Remember even a flat plate will fly given enough power and AoA.
cwrr5 is online now Find More Posts by cwrr5
Old Jul 03, 2015, 02:16 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
17,300 Posts
Quote:
Haha that is very true I used some much lower quality ones on the C-141 build and I was pulling my hair out. Someday I need to learn how design these with RC in mind so I can build whatever I want
Hey your building great card-model style airliners Ethan. . . . Neffwaffe couldn't do ant better Sir.

Roger aka W747 can design any card model he wants. . . .soon you'll be able to as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2015, 02:37 PM
Airliner Builder
Joined Feb 2010
2,211 Posts
@cwr5 That is a good point, its hard to believe some of the crappy backyard flyers I've built can fly so well with flat leading edges I'm going to go with the scale airfoil and not worry about it.

@DD Thanks! I can't wait to see more progress on your -200 and -300s!
Old Jul 03, 2015, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by mwrzesinski
Trabado por las importaciones
Argentina, CABA, CF
Joined Jan 2015
160 Posts
Quote:
On the past five depron builds I've done, I used my own airfoils (clark-y in the past and semi-symmetrical recently). This required some modifications to the size of the wing skins and shape of the wing box. With the larger size of this plane, I am thinking about using the scale 767 airfoil.

What y'all think of this? My only worry is the large amount of positive incidence. The CRJ pictured above had negative incidence that I didn't catch before the maiden and it was very hard to control and trim until I added a degree or two of positive incidence. However, it didn't have nearly as much as the airfoil pictured below.

With the fixed 15 degree flaps, I am not worried about a high landing speed but rather stall tendencies.

@cwr5 LOL I promised myself I will never ever get myself stressed over a build that fast again

good! im sanding my 767-200 styrofoam nose...hate sanding.

how looks like the shape of the airfoil in the external section of the wing?
is it the same as the root or similar to Clark-y? I'm still thinking how to solve but I do not make much difference in performance whatever I choose... i think.
mwrzesinski is offline Find More Posts by mwrzesinski
Old Jul 03, 2015, 04:36 PM
Airliner Builder
Joined Feb 2010
2,211 Posts
I am watching your build with interest! It looks great so far.

I do not know if the airfoil at the end of the wing is the same as the beginning but it is probably closer to a super-critical symmetrical shape instead of a clark-y which is mostly flat-bottomed. Like you and cwr5 said above, at the size we are building it probably won't make any difference. I attached a cool drawing of the different airfoils along a 737-400 and a picture of the last airfoil rib from the paper model plans (which might not be scale to the real 767).

Ethan
Old Jul 03, 2015, 05:33 PM
Airliner Builder
Joined Feb 2010
2,211 Posts
Progress on the horizontal stabilizers.
Old Jul 03, 2015, 06:01 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
17,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrzesinski View Post
good! im sanding my 767-200 styrofoam nose...hate sanding.

how looks like the shape of the airfoil in the external section of the wing?
is it the same as the root or similar to Clark-y? I'm still thinking how to solve but I do not make much difference in performance whatever I choose... i think.
Most airliners wings nowadays have 2 airfoils compared to what's at the wing - root and what's at the wingtips. . . A Clark-y is fine for what your doing Ethan.

My prototype 767-200 has almost a cemetrical airfoil and it flies fine.

Your 767 will be so lite you could have a flat profile wing and you'd be fine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2015, 06:03 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Joined Mar 2007
17,300 Posts
Quote:
Progress on the horizontal stabilizers.
Ethan you need to fly over to London and teach Keenan the court gester of Hackney how to build this fast and how to complete his projects as well.
RCG Plus Member