HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2008, 02:00 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,228 Posts
Discussion
Utah Aerial Photography and FPV

Now that several of us have AP planes, I thought I'd start a thread for Utah flyers to post videos and photos of their local sorties, as well as swap notes on anything AP. I got this idea the other day after exchanging about 10 pms with Jonboylemon, just because we didn't want to hijack any of the other UFO threads.

Jon & Nate, I expect you'll be doing some sweet AP with your new Beasts, so I hope you'll be willing to share. Everybody else, whether you're into AP (yet) or not, feel free to comment and participate.

Let me get the ball rolling by posting a couple pics I took this morning on the way to work, a video of me hitting my neighbor's tree, and pic of a hawk I took Saturday.

Slow Stick hits a tree and keeps flying (0 min 49 sec)
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Last edited by Darth_Elevator; Jan 01, 2011 at 11:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2008, 11:59 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,923 Posts
Tibble Fork Resevoir, American Fork Canyon, Utah (4 min 46 sec)

The start of a project I am going to do.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old May 13, 2008, 07:29 AM
Utah Flyers
Farmington, UT
Joined Dec 2004
1,638 Posts
Nice Pics and Vids guys.

I need to get a smaller camera for my beast. My camera is over 15 oz. Works ok but I bet it would work better if I had something lighter. Love the crash Jon and the temple pics are great Darth.
natetanr is offline Find More Posts by natetanr
Old May 14, 2008, 12:57 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by natetanr
I need to get a smaller camera for my beast. My camera is over 15 oz. Works ok but I bet it would work better if I had something lighter.
You can probably pick up a decent 2 or 3 year old digital camera on eBay pretty cheap. I just got a Pentax Optio s5z for $65. 4.2 ounces! Do some research on the forums, though, because all cameras are not created equal, even among different models of the same brand. If I hadn't gotten the Optio s5z, I was considering the Nikon Coolpix 5900, which usually sells for a bit more but steves-digicams.com says it outperforms the s5z.
Old May 14, 2008, 02:10 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,604 Posts
Are the cameras fixed mount or can they swivel via servos?
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old May 14, 2008, 03:30 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,228 Posts
I'm using a fixed mount but I'm hoping to eventually build or buy a two-axis directional setup with servos. Then I'd love to try FPV (first person viewpoint) flying with a wireless camera.
Old May 14, 2008, 05:00 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,923 Posts
I think I found a pic of the camera Nate is using. Looks sturdy but seems heavy.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; May 15, 2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old May 14, 2008, 05:01 PM
Utah Flyers
Farmington, UT
Joined Dec 2004
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Elevator
You can probably pick up a decent 2 or 3 year old digital camera on eBay pretty cheap. I just got a Pentax Optio s5z for $65. 4.2 ounces! Do some research on the forums, though, because all cameras are not created equal, even among different models of the same brand. If I hadn't gotten the Optio s5z, I was considering the Nikon Coolpix 5900, which usually sells for a bit more but steves-digicams.com says it outperforms the s5z.
Keep your eyes open and let me know if you see a similar camera for sale for around 50 to 70 bucks. I've been looking on ebay and ksl but no luck yet.
Old May 14, 2008, 05:03 PM
Utah Flyers
Farmington, UT
Joined Dec 2004
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON
I think I founs a pic of the camera Nate is using. Looks sturdy but seems heavy.
Your funny........
Ist actually the sony dsc-s75
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscs75/page2.asp
its been a great camera but as soon as I decided to use it on my plane it apeared to take on the shape of a 15oz brick.
Old May 15, 2008, 11:48 AM
Utah Flyers
Farmington, UT
Joined Dec 2004
1,638 Posts
I just purchased a Nikon Coolpix 7600 off ebay it said it was not tested so i'm crossing my fingers. I may have just waisted 50 bux.... But hey at least this will only be a 5oz brick.
Old May 15, 2008, 01:49 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,228 Posts
Looks like the 7600 has some great features, Nate.
Old May 16, 2008, 04:57 PM
Joined Oct 2006
6,228 Posts
My Optio arrived today and what a huge difference in picture quality over my piece of crap Aiptek. Movies and photos are much crisper and have better color. And, unlike the Aiptek, I'm not getting a bit of frame buffering distortion. The Optio is 4.65 ounces with battery and SD card. It's light enough I'm not using a voltage regulator to shave off a couple ounces of batteries, so I don't those extra wires hanging all over the place.

The Flysoft infrared switch works perfectly. I set it to take a still picture every 5 seconds, but in can be set to any interval up to 30 seconds and also lets me manually take a picture whenever I toggle a tx switch. A great no-hack shutter switch.
Old May 19, 2008, 11:13 AM
Plane Insane RC.com
Spanish Fork Utah
Joined Mar 2005
1,327 Posts
Nice, I see someone else is doing the Temple thing. I shot these 2 yesteday. I'm trying to get all the Utah Temples this year.
chicken hawk is offline Find More Posts by chicken hawk
Old May 19, 2008, 11:49 AM
Joined Oct 2006
6,228 Posts
Those are awesome shots, Chicken Hawk. What camera and plane are you using? Good luck on your goal to get all the Utah temples. I hope you'll keep us updated on your progress.