SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 05, 2007, 09:15 PM
Joined Feb 2003
22 Posts
Discussion
McCoy .049 Glow Head Replacement

I recently rediscovered an older McCoy that I pulled from an old Stuntman 23 that didn't win a battle with some falling plaster during a remodeling job. I purchased new fuel, modified a battery clip to use my 1 cell glow starter, bolted the McCoy to a test stand and it actually fired up and ran.

Tried it a few days later only to find the 1 cell glow starter wasn't at full charge. No problem, I connected my field box's glow start plug, and promptly fried the glow wire as the adjustable setting was at max.

It is my understanding is that McCoy glow heads are unobtainable. I found the Mecoa glow plug adapters that utilize standard glow plugs. It seems I had read (somewhere) that these adapters while they appear to be a quick solution make running the engines problematic (something about too much metal mass or the compression being changed). Anyone have any real life expierience with glow head adapters? Or should I place the McCoy on a display shelf?
AmateurE is offline Find More Posts by AmateurE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2007, 03:54 PM
Corvallis, Or.
Joined Jun 2007
14 Posts
AmateurE:

I can't comment on the McCoy but Mecoa's unit for the cub is dismal (too little compression I think). That said they will work but not well. If you could find someone to make you a head that uses the Nelson glow plug, that would work. I use the Galbreath head and Nellson plug on Cox's and Norvels and they work really well. The McCoy's are cute but it may be that time...

regards - Steve B.
burtcs is offline Find More Posts by burtcs
Old Jul 08, 2007, 07:22 AM
Joined Jan 2006
263 Posts
Does not the cox/norvel/wasp fit? I think when I had one, when they were newer, I ran cox heads on them. I remember them looking kind of funny with the wrong head on.
gzkpez is offline Find More Posts by gzkpez
Old Jul 08, 2007, 09:27 AM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
The McCoy brothers often go to the Whittier Narrows auto circle now. I think the little McCoy was one of the first engines to be dropped once Testor's got into gear.

Problem with MECOA forum is that I do not think there is enough problems with glow engines, so folks do not read it as often. You thus get fewer opinions. But did find there a fellow who repairs older glow plugs. I have K&B Sky Fury engines. They suffer from the low compression malady you described, when switching to modern adapted glow plugs. This fellow who used to be in Ohio would weld a new glow wire into your old core. Thus you then obtain original performance, not just acceptable (low) performance. I haven't sent any heads east for couple years now, and no longer have his address. But was referred to him via a paragraph in MECCA.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Old Jul 08, 2007, 08:24 PM
Joined Feb 2003
22 Posts
Thanks for all the replies/options. I guess the quickest solution would be to try the Cox head. The Galbreath/Nelson head certainly makes style points in that it keeps to the original look. We'll see what the future holds for this old engine.

Bob
AmateurE is offline Find More Posts by AmateurE
Old Jul 09, 2007, 10:55 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,274 Posts
Uh, A Cox head won't fit a Testors/McCoy cylinder. At least not mine (late 60's vintage, off of a Skyraider). Different diameters at the screw thread.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jul 20, 2007, 08:57 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
979 Posts
If you can access a 1/4-32 tap (Graingers, etc?), you could try to modify the existing head to take a common glow plug. These were available for the Cox engines from .049 to .15 some years back, from Kustom Kraftsmanship, now out of business. They did work, but as noted above were not as good as the real Cox heads. But it might keep the engine in the air.
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:20 AM
electronics gremlins hate me..
middlesbrough, uk
Joined May 2007
155 Posts
I had that idea of modifying the old head, does anybody know why it would not be as good as the unmodified one?
bob_v5 is offline Find More Posts by bob_v5
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:32 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,608 Posts
There are a few theories about why changing from a stock head to one modified for a standard glow plug doesn't run as well.
IMO the main thing seems to be that the area around the plug is never quite as smooth.
You would be better off switching to a Nelson or "Turbo" type plug. Both of these seal at the bottom of the plug.
Some DIY details for the Turbo plugs are online:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_45..._1/key_/tm.htm
http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dc/dcb...mesg_id=272831

You could also post on Stuka Stunt (second link) to see if anyone has any stock heads available. Lots of motor guys on that site.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old May 20, 2009, 08:06 AM
Joined May 2009
6 Posts
old engines

I have a bunch of vintage engines,if i provide a list can you tell me how much they are worth?
vendo is offline Find More Posts by vendo
Old May 20, 2009, 08:56 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,274 Posts
You'd probably get a good idea just by looking at E-Bay or looking through this board. http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-fue...ries-fs-w-362/ You can search through the threads for your brand and see how much they got for it.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old May 20, 2009, 09:07 AM
Chicago
Joined Jan 2009
169 Posts
As others have pointed out the long term solution is either a new head with a Nelson plug or your burnt head modified to fit a Nelson. Then you have high quality plugs for about $4.50 and most likely better performance than stock.
unattainium is offline Find More Posts by unattainium