SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 16, 2014, 04:23 PM
farmington hills mi.
Joined Sep 2006
825 Posts
Discussion
Hero Re-revisited

The Hero 100 ver.2 is again available at nitroplanes. There is a thread of my third Hero, a type 2, here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1753482

Listing here:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/neheea100fie.html

This is a lot of airplane for $132. A 70 inch span plane with fiberglass fuse and nacelles and balsa/ply wings and tail. the pic in the listing shows red leading edges which are thankfully gone. It is for an experienced builder but is a nice flying and impressive airplane. After a lot of good flights I totaled mine last year, pilot error, and just got delivery on a new one. See the pic of my last one which is the same trim as my new one. It is next to a 65 inch Spitfire for comparison.
tom bacsanyi is online now Find More Posts by tom bacsanyi
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tom bacsanyi; Apr 16, 2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: bad links
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:40 PM
farmington hills mi.
Joined Sep 2006
825 Posts
bad links corrected in first post

Here is a link to Carl Rich's thread when the plane first came available:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004699
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:35 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,939 Posts
I have the same one. This in my 2nd one. Fun flier, going with 100mm Haoye 12bladed fans.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Apr 17, 2014, 04:50 AM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
541 Posts
Tom is right, This is a heck of a lot of airplane for $132. Thats even cheaper then the previous prices I have seen. I picked up a lot of good pointers from Carl's original thread and especially Tom's updated thread. I almost built this plane without any mod's but after seeing Tom's mod to the engine nacelle's which corrected the poor fit of the inlet rings I decided to do it up. I could see it was worthy of a good scale build. Some of the changes I did are lowering the ride height, rebuilding the nacelle's, Installing internal servos for the elevator and rudder thus getting rid of the nyrods, and fully sheeting the wing and a complete new paint job. Without any mod's the only thing that really needs to be done is to re-glue the fuse. formers and build a structure for the canopy. I am also using the new 100mm V2 Haoye fans. I need some testing to settle on the motors but it will be high volt and low Kv to keep the current down. I made the thrust tubes so they could slide back and easily remove the fan units. Bob I know you and Vance are building this kit, will you have it for flying this year? I plan to maiden mine in late spring. Here are some build pic's of mine.

Dean
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old Apr 17, 2014, 07:34 AM
farmington hills mi.
Joined Sep 2006
825 Posts
Dean,
Nice work on the inlets! The thrust gain is significant and well worth the extra work.
Tom
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:14 AM
Banzai Institute
Joined Oct 2005
541 Posts
Thanks Tom. I was wondering what to do with the inlets and hatch and when I seen what you had done I knew that was the way to go. We should make this thread the new hero thread. We can all post our progress and flight vids here. I know a fellow named Vance has one to build too. Tom will yours be ready for this season?

Dean
Old Apr 17, 2014, 02:06 PM
farmington hills mi.
Joined Sep 2006
825 Posts
Yes, it will fly this season. I will add some of the more important stuff from the other thread I started to this one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2014, 07:10 PM
farmington hills mi.
Joined Sep 2006
825 Posts
stay tuned
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2014, 03:16 PM
farmington hills mi.
Joined Sep 2006
825 Posts
Interruption!

Had a family member temporarily disabled and haven't touched the project since my last post. I still plan to fly it this summer. Is anybody making any progress?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2014, 04:14 PM
Banzai Institute
Joined Oct 2005
541 Posts
Hope everything is well with the family Tom. I will be ready for my maiden in a month or so. I have a bunch of motors to buy for some testing and I am working now on finishing a couple Violet A-4's my bud and I are building.

Dean
Old May 08, 2014, 05:19 PM
farmington hills mi.
Joined Sep 2006
825 Posts
Lip

I cut a conical collar out of 1/64 ply (could be poster board or...) . I drew an 8 in. radius and one 3/8 in. less that was a 90 degree segment. See first pic.

Glued it to the edge as shown in 2nd pic.

Assembled with housing and tack glued to nacelle in 3 rd pic

applied epoxy filler and smoothed with isopropyl alcohol. This was a mix of West Systems 105 resin, 206 hardener and microlite filler. the filler is added till the mix will hang on the stirrer and not flow off. It will need some sanding and a few dabs to finish.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2014, 03:51 PM
farmington hills mi.
Joined Sep 2006
825 Posts
Hero versions

I believe there have been at least three versions of the Hero and the changes are not necessarily improvements. The first engine nacelles had split inlet lips that needed work, Bukaroo's are not split and my last two had nacelles with unnecessarily larger outlets. If I wanted to get another, I would not care which version I would get because they all are less than perfect but doable.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2014, 03:30 AM
Banzai Institute
Joined Oct 2005
541 Posts
Looking good Tom. I like the way you mounted the controllers. I haven't run up my fans yet. Still need to settle on the motors, but I will get it airborne this summer.

Dean
Old Aug 07, 2014, 10:46 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jan 2012
21 Posts
New Hero

Tom & Dean,
Thanks for sharing your ideas. I also like the location of the esc's. Dean, thanks for the pics of the canopy. When I opened my kit I said this canopy needs some work.

Any more pics of ideas or vids to share?

I got my model about a week ago. Nitroplanes also gives military discounts so I got mine w/10% off. I couldn't pass it up! Although looks like this will be a winter project for me. I'm not proficient enough to fly it yet, however, I'm working on it. I'm planning on a 6s system.
Tman49 is online now Find More Posts by Tman49