Closed Thread
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:08 AM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
This is another thing that pisses me off about doing bizness with these shady Chinese bastids. Things had evolved to a point where I rarely got any spam e-mail.....but after registering with a few sites in order to buy something, over the last ohhh, 6-8 months? I'm getting 40-60 spam e-mails a day.....from pecker-pills to get china dolls to 'save my familys gold fortune' offers. These sleazy outfits are sellin' the he77 out of your e-mail contact info....it's like, 'Back To Spammer Old School 101' all over again.

Not sayin' they're all like that but, there's enuff of 'em to make your life miserable. You never know who's gonna pop you & about all I can say is, walk carefully. I've gotten to where if they don't let you check out as guest thru Paypal without registering? They can kiss my hairy can buh-bye!!
Wait....are you saying the pecker pills are a scam!!!
JCMorgan is offline Find More Posts by JCMorgan
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:11 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorgan View Post
If you are running Windows 7, the restore problem is a known issue with it, and has nothing to do with the virus. Do you get an error message when you try to restore? Does it say "not enough space on disc"?
Nope Win XP,
Sadly I bought a laptop with Vista. (which I am using at this time)
Vista ( w/2 Gig Ram) is slower than my wifes win 95.
Next computer will be a Mac.
Lots of people around here have gone to Mac, and they are Very Happy.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:19 AM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,082 Posts
Vista was a mess. To date, every other OS to come from MS has been a disaster to the public and to MS.
Windows 7 is actually pretty good. Just as stable as XP. Windows 8 was unnecessary and will bite MS in the ass. Three years ago, Bill Gates said the keyboard and mouse will be gone in five years. Windows 8 is an attempt at that, but I predict it will go by the way of Vista and ME. Being designed with mobile and handheld devices in mind, I can't imagine what ever made them think it's a good system for desktops and laptops.

BTW....7 needs at least 2 gigs of ram to run smoothly. All the vista machines sold with 2 gigs are pretty much useless unless you root them and maybe run Lynx. Even if you can add more ram, you usually will have a hard time finding compatable drivers to run in 7 if you upgrade to it (depending on the brand of PC).

Macs are nice, and much more stable, if you are running a recording studio, or doing heavy video and image editing (and even Pixar now uses MS OS rather than Mac). For the average user you will find Mac to be way over priced. That being said, I still scratch my head every time I realize I have no less than 8 computers running on my home network, and not one is an apple product. Then I remember that when I set up my last computer I was gonna go with a Mac, but it would have cost me $5000 where as the puter I built with Windows 7 cost me no more than $500.
Last edited by JCMorgan; Nov 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:04 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
In case you have been rooted and you probably have, download this ...
http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280684
Yep, turning into a never ending battle.
Thanks the Killer found 6 threats.
And the anti virus found a "computer sharer". And I could not stop it because it said was in use!!
I had to reboot and go into DOS (away from windows) to remove the offending file.
Too bad this stuff hurts a real business trying to advertise here.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Jun 2012
29 Posts
My windows computer is never allowed onto the internet. We have 3 laptops, 5 towers and 1 tablet on the internet, none are windows. As soon as we purchase new computers, windows is stripped off and a version of linux is put on, no virus problems or need to purchase those very expensive virus programs that seem to give you more virus problems than they help, no need to defrag and program add ons are free. I am no computer expert by any means, I just like my computer to work for me instead of spending my time fixing problems. It is not perfect but so much better than fighting with the problems I have run into with windows.
shutterbug772 is offline Find More Posts by shutterbug772
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:59 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,082 Posts
I know a lot of poeple that run Windows on their Macs. Windows runs inside the Mac OS. They all say the best Windows machine is a Mac.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:11 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,770 Posts
Quote:
I know a lot of poeple that run Windows on their Macs. Windows runs inside the Mac OS. They all say the best Windows machine is a Mac.
LOL, that's true. I know a guy at work that runs Windows in his Mac just so he can run a sim.

It's Linux Mint for me. No pesky Windows issues and no Mac expense.
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:20 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,901 Posts
Quote:
Vista was a mess. To date, every other OS to come from MS has been a disaster to the public and to MS.
Windows 7 is actually pretty good. Just as stable as XP. Windows 8 was unnecessary and will bite MS in the ass. Three years ago, Bill Gates said the keyboard and mouse will be gone in five years. Windows 8 is an attempt at that, but I predict it will go by the way of Vista and ME. Being designed with mobile and handheld devices in mind, I can't imagine what ever made them think it's a good system for desktops and laptops.

This is as far as I've read (so far) so jumping in here to give a hearty AMEN to JC on that. My ol' XP is on its last legs (I know, & have started seeing the signs) so, have been in the market for a new rig. I say 'have been' becuz that li'l detail has been resolved. Lemme tell yaz what I did.

Knowing a replacement was imminent, and Win8 was 'the coming Thing' I studied up on it, having been completely satisfied with XP all these years. I came away with an impression of '8' I can only describe as.....in one word....'herding'. I won't delve into the details - hopefully those with bright enough minds will understand that summation and know why.

With this being the case, I was resolved to avoid Win8 to the best of my ability. At Staples, which had a surprisingly knowledgeable young man who showed me their available lineup - this about a week before 8 was to be released - and was talented enough to give a quick summary of the differences in each model. I tell all that for one statement he made which stuck with me: "It's a good time to be buying because of the clearance discounts because Win8 is coming out next week." After shopping around town & nearby, I still couldn't decide (mostly due to monetary restraints) which would be the best buy. Long story short, by time I went back to Staples they had cleared 'em all. I didn't realize their inventory was pretty low already due to not bringing in any more 7's with 8 coming in, so I missed out there.

My nephew manages the Electronics dept at a large Wal Mart store in SC - & he's a 'geek'. '8' had come out by this time....and he told me to go to my local store & ask to see the list of Win7's they had moved to 'the back room for clearance'. Turns out my local didn't exactly do this, they locked 'em in a cabinet underneath the regular display. All they had 'showing' was 8's. But they had 3 7's left, "Red Labeled" for clearance....and I scarfed up the nicest of the three, a $698 HP with huge 4-processor RAM & HD, with gobs of video power. (At LAST I'll be able to run Phoenix with no problems!! *LOL*) and, it was marked down to $578. I was budgeting for <$500, but considering that I don't wanta become a sheep, bit the bullet & broke out da plastic! THAT's how much I didn't want Windoze 8. I'll add here that I don't know a thing about 7. Except that it's not 8!

Sad thing, I fear, is vast majority of those that get 'assimilated' will not even realize it....and if they later do, the damage is already done.

AND - all that said....the main input I wanted to make here:
I don't hear/see much traffic on the subject so don't think they're that well known, but I've been a Webroot customer for several years. Make that, satisfied customer. Started with 'Sweeper' about ohhhh, 7-8 years ago, & next subscription added their new AntiVirus app....buying in 2-year subs is pretty good bargain....and (*knock wood*) to date have not had a single 'booger' to slip in. Plenty of signs (scan reports, etc) where they've kept 'em out tho. They sure get my endorsement! Look up some reviews by the Computer rags - check 'em out.
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post

Knowing a replacement was imminent, and Win8 was 'the coming Thing' I studied up on it, having been completely satisfied with XP all these years. I came away with an impression of '8' I can only describe as.....in one word....'herding'. I won't delve into the details - hopefully those with bright enough minds will understand that summation and know why.
And us dummies, who don't have bright enough minds will just sit here and suck on our thumbs. Good thing there are ones like you, bright enough to shine for all of us.

As for me, I'm so "dim" that I don't use any antivirus scam/ripoff software at all. I never have had a virus on my machine, Windows all the way baby. I just use the old common sense approach to what sites/links/emails I click on. That's all you need. Antivirus programs are a complete ripoff.

Microsoft will one day rule the earth!!!
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:31 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
I never have had a virus on my machine,
That's what the spyware and virus creators want you to think.
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:10 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,901 Posts
Wow - he's telling the truth guys. I'm in his CPU right now -- been looking around for the past 40 minutes or so, & he doesn't really have anything much worth stealing so.....

Stu, ol' buddy, when I'm done with your System BIOS your rig might run a little sluggish for the next few days, until you do a system update.....then it should all smooth out pretty well. I think you'll appreciate my work.

Have a good'n!
And just remember - the only thing wrong with good enough is more better!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:19 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Ha ha, pretty funny stuff. Good one dude.
I think I better go do that system update now.
Last edited by stuball56; Dec 12, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:23 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Ha ha, pretty funny stuff. Good one dude.
I think I better go do that system update now.

oops, didn't mean to double post. must be the virus! lol
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:19 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,901 Posts
(Don't say I din't warn ya.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:06 AM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,357 Posts
This issue was previously brought up in Site Suggestions/Complaints.
Issues like this are always a concern for RCG.
We have looked into this and don't see a cause for alarm at this point.
Users can watch this thread in SS/C for any new information.

This thread is now closed.
Jim T. Graham is online now Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Closed Thread