SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:53 AM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
I dont know why the engineers changed the error tones??? Havent thought about it but I'll ask

Yes - you will need a Phase sensor for the external gov mode. We dont have one yet but the Hobby Wing sensor works great.

Since there is no data logging in this controller - there is no Link Live. You have to have one, to have the other.

Steve
RS Rogers is offline Find More Posts by RS Rogers
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:04 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefrog02 View Post
Just ordered one off the CC website...does this need a phase sensor to use ext. Gov. with VBar? Thanks!
This does not have a phase sensor built in... I am still using the Hobby Wing RPM sensor with the Talon.
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Jan 2011
10 Posts
Is the BEC voltage of the Talon adjustable between 6 and 8 volts?
pitchfella is offline Find More Posts by pitchfella
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:24 PM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchfella View Post
Is the BEC voltage of the Talon adjustable between 6 and 8 volts?
Its not totally adjustable - 2 settings. 6 or 8 volts.

This might be a concern on older servos that are only rated for 4.8 but most all newer servos will handle 6v.

Steve
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:05 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Rogers View Post
Its not totally adjustable - 2 settings. 6 or 8 volts.

This might be a concern on older servos that are only rated for 4.8 but most all newer servos will handle 6v.

Steve
WOW they sure cut back to the bare bones to keep the cost down. The more I look the less I like. No data logger, no 8s, no adjustable voltage (i loke 7.4v), odd-ball motor connectors (not plug and play). Looks like I will continue to use ICE series.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:12 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
WOW they sure cut back to the bare bones to keep the cost down. The more I look the less I like. No data logger, no 8s, no adjustable voltage (i loke 7.4v), odd-ball motor connectors (not plug and play). Looks like I will continue to use ICE series.

There's no suc thing as plug and play for servos and motors---look at a Scorpion motor for example, they have changed plugs on those at least twice, so you always need to find plugs for the ESC.

In this case they include the motor-side bullets. So yes you have to use those. And I have put new bullets on my Scorpion motors (by de-soldering--not cutting!).

The biggest downside I see (and I suppose everything is relative) is that you need to choose 6V at least. That means you need a step down for a lot of tail servos. I guess you can't please everyone!
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:05 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,536 Posts
Maybe they will upgrade the ICE series next.
1. 10 amp continuous BEC.
2. Data logging of BEC voltage and current.
3. Built in port for RPM going out to FBL controllers

Those are the features that I would like and I don’t really care if that causes the price to go up a little. CC’s top of the line ESC’s should have these features.

Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:23 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,234 Posts
Why didn't they use two power connectors like the BEC Pro? Aren't servo connectors only good for 3A cont and 5A max?
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:49 PM
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined May 2009
351 Posts
I just ordered 2 from Towers website. Looks like a great deal. I'm excited to try these out. Estimated for mid december? Are these shipping out from castle already?
hemiblas is offline Find More Posts by hemiblas
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:26 AM
More Motors, More Fun... :-)
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2008
685 Posts
FINALLY.

Liking the mounting system, and the built-in female motor connectors (also liking that the matching male connectors are included - none of that nickle-and-dimeing-you-to-death nonsense.)

Hopefully this type of layout will add features and HV capabilities in the future.
nioa is offline Find More Posts by nioa
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VQ Models T-34 Mentor 61.4"...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:30 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiblas View Post
I just ordered 2 from Towers website. Looks like a great deal. I'm excited to try these out. Estimated for mid december? Are these shipping out from castle already?
The Talons have began to ship... I do not have information on wether or not Tower has been shipped their product.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:31 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
Why didn't they use two power connectors like the BEC Pro? Aren't servo connectors only good for 3A cont and 5A max?
I have been flying the Talon on a stock Align 550 with the stock servos for a couple months and the connection has no issue with Vbar, 3gx, or BeastX. All the systems have worked very well.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:06 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone View Post
I have been flying the Talon on a stock Align 550 with the stock servos for a couple months and the connection has no issue with Vbar, 3gx, or BeastX. All the systems have worked very well.
That's great that it works well...but I'm wondering why the decision for only one power lead?

Did Castle use better servo connectors or something? 10A (BECPro) calls for dual power leads but 9A (Talon) doesn't?

Just curious,
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:09 PM
Clyde N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
519 Posts
The Bec Pro can have more uses in lower voltage situations (some robotic stuff for example) were higher continuous current for a longer period than what we see in normal RC (quick, very short peaks) so I don't think this will be very much an issue where the Talon is solely intended for its purpose.
For the period of time we have tested this it hasn't been as issue.

Steve
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:21 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
That's great that it works well...but I'm wondering why the decision for only one power lead?

Did Castle use better servo connectors or something? 10A (BECPro) calls for dual power leads but 9A (Talon) doesn't?

Just curious,

Someone needs to do a test to see if it will really put out 9 amps continuously without the connector heating up or burning out. Just add some brake light bulbs until you get 9 amps and let it run for half an hour and see what happens. That’s the only way to know if it’s save to fly.