HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:12 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,397 Posts
The Slow Stick flies much, much better if you trim those droops off the tips at the first rib. I know that's probably an older video and you'e probably aware of that mod by now, but it's still worth mentioning.

It becomes even more fun when you can backflip it (not loop, BACKFLIP) in its own length.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Jul 2011
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Yeah lateral G-forces throwing your body out the windows. In a regular plane, we "center the ball" by using rudder and ailerons together, so that the passengers don't feel the rocking. If done correctly and with no visual reference point, you can do it such that the passengers don't even know you made a turn.
It's common knowledge, but I've never understood that. Even with a perfectly coordinated bank I can still feel the initial rotation and final rollout due to inertia. It's a very mild sensation, but I figure if I can feel it so can everyone else.
jsipprell is offline Find More Posts by jsipprell
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:21 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
I am learning, so far only on RF. I have built a Polaris, but am getting a trainer first. So why are there trainers with 3 channels? Rudder and elevator only, no ailerons? Seems like if you trained and learned on a 3 channel, then when you go to 4 you wont have a clue on how to control the aircraft using ailerons. I just think for me, anyway, it is far better to have a trainer that is a full 4 channels. I am torn between the Flyzone Switch or the Nexstar Mini EP. Both have thier advantages and disadvantages. I really like both actualy.
Why do professional full-size pilots start with piston-engine planes, then jet trainers, then obsolete jet fighters before they climb aboard the Eurofighter or an F16?Do you think it is because their mentors feel they need education in the history of aviation?Or do you think it might just be that they need to progress their skills through more and more demanding aircraft? Tricky question, isn't it?
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Last edited by alibongo; Sep 20, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:08 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Time to watch the show. Again.

<Pulls up deck chair. Cracks open tinny.>

Carry on gents, I'm ready now.
cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:48 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,053 Posts
I'll help you do one of those tinnies there, mate! We can do a little tinny formation flying.
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:30 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
<Reaches into esky, passes Flying Dog brew to RR>

Anyone else up for the show?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:16 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
If it's in a glass bottle, it's not a Tinny, right?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:34 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,053 Posts
Close enough! Specially for us Yanks.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:45 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
If it's in a glass bottle, it's not a Tinny, right?
Pedantry!

Tally ho stuball56 old chap, I believe you've had your cue. On with the show!
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined Aug 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
Please do a little research. There's a clue out there IF YOU LOOK...So far you're missing even a hint of a clue, NO offence...
Having tried both, I will prefer ailerons even if there were NO RUDDER AT ALL.
GerryStarkeson is offline Find More Posts by GerryStarkeson
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:05 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,053 Posts
You're an experienced flier. Your observation is disqualified.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:29 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryStarkeson View Post
Having tried both, I will prefer ailerons even if there were NO RUDDER AT ALL.
I've tried both too; with a little sense of humor, vintage fliers prefer rudder even if there were NO ELEVATOR AT ALL.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:59 PM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibongo View Post
Why do professional full-size pilots start with piston-engine planes, then jet trainers, then obsolete jet fighters before they climb aboard the Eurofighter or an F16?Do you think it is because their mentors feel they need education in the history of aviation?Or do you think it might just be that they need to progress their skills through more and more demanding aircraft? Tricky question, isn't it?
Over thirty years ago, I had the opportunity to "fly" a real F-15 simulator.
Several times, I ended up using the backup "standard" instruments because the heads up display had too much info, and was confusing. The backups told me enough to understand what the heads up was displaying. Glass cockpits are much more common today, down to SEL aircraft.
Each technology builds on the previous one. Needed pilot response time becomes much shorter as you transition from simple to complex to jet.
chuck75 is online now Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck75 View Post
Over thirty years ago, I had the opportunity to "fly" a real F-15 simulator. Several times, I ended up using the backup "standard" instruments because the heads up display had too much info, and was confusing. The backups told me enough to understand what the heads up was displaying. Glass cockpits are much more common today, down to SEL aircraft. Each technology builds on the previous one. Needed pilot response time becomes much shorter as you transition from simple to complex to jet.
About the same time while at McDonnell Douglas, I had an opportunity at flying a second generation Navy trainer jet simulator. A friend knew one of the engineers in the simulator lab. It was a DEC Vax based simulator, fixed base but had a hydraulic joy stick. If you were nearing a stall, it would shake, wheel hit the runway, it would jerk. After several attempts 2 miles out, I made my first carrier landing.

Since model flying is different than flying the real thing (even real pilots must learn how to fly R/C), I've never bothered comparing model flight to real aircraft experiences.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined Jul 2011
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Essentially an excellent trainer is a free flight airplane trimmed properly with radio assist. That way you have complete faith that the plane can fly itself and you just help guide it around the sky at first. You're not making it fly.

And, believe it or not, with the more demanding planes that remains true. Free flight is a great way to start learning to fly!
Isn't that really what all fixed-wing flight is? Just guiding the plane around the sky while it flies itself?

For real flying you obviously need a heli.
jsipprell is offline Find More Posts by jsipprell