SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Aug 2011
10 Posts
Help!
realflight 6 or pheonix v3?

All,
I have flow for a number of years now and do not own a simulator. I have done some research and I ether want real flight or Phoenix. I am.have trouble choosing one. What do you think and why?
I own a dx8 tax and know that this works with Phoenix. Also Phoenix has free updates for life.
I also hear the environment is better on real flight.
So what does everyone think?

Thanks
Shabigity is offline Find More Posts by Shabigity
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabigity View Post
What do you think and why?
Cool! An essay question!
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Aug 2011
10 Posts
Well it does not have to be an essay. Just a few words on why.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
When's it due?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:16 AM
Joined Aug 2011
10 Posts
Lol. Thursday.... ?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Awww! Mrs. Johnson is giving us a science test on Thursday!!!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Seriously, your topic has already been hashed out many times before. Scroll back a few pages. You'll find several discussions where people cheer for their favorite sim. Bottom line is you need to decide what you like for yourself. You should be able to see both sims set up at your local hobby shop.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
What Jeff said.

Basically, these types of questions tend to get answered with the sim that a particular person owns.

Myself, I own Phoenix and Realflight. I think they both have strong and weak points. Which is better depends a lot on the way you want to use it.

Personally, I much prefer Realflight 6. That is partially based on:
1) I dislike the modeling of Foam 3d aircraft in Phoenix and like them in Realflight 6.
2) I like the user created content for Realflight.
3) I personally feel less like I'm looking through a tiny window when flying in Realflight. I find it easier to line up on the runways, etc.
4) I enjoy the slope soaring in Realflight.
5) I like not having to use my real transmitter.

Your mileage not only may vary, it almost certainly will vary because what is important to you will likely differ.

For example, I like the fact that the physics are much more configurable in Realflight. On the other hand, some people would find the amount of detail of what you can change in Realflight down right intimidating.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
Madratter, I've used RF but don't own it... however you say you own both and both have their place... yet only list the pros for RF6. Surely someone who owns and uses both could put the pro's and con's of both items instead of totally neglecting one.

The easiest item would have been Phoenix being better at Heli simulation.. yet you didn't even put that. If you're going to be biased at least mask it. (PS I think I will be gettin RF for slope/thermal use, I did like it better than Phoenix V3 but I don't know which version of RF I used so differences may me more or less than what I experienced).

As to the OP, if you've flown for a number of years then you know what you want a sim for... WHAT DO YOU WANT THE SIM FOR? Pattern? Stunts? Helis? Planes?

I think if it's just basic stuff then either sim would be fine... if it's online stuff both have arcadey game options now so their fairly equal. If you want training stuff, well Phoenix doesn't have anything beyond the very basics. Phoenix does have FPV and endless 3D fields now as of V4, but their value once again depends on your needs as others have said. I don't know if they are changing the physics or anything like that once V4 goes out of Beta, if not then Phoenix really still can't compete for serious thumb training on specific aircraft. It definately still does not have user made models. For me though all of that is fine, I just wanted advanced orientation training and something to do on cold or windy days and I think both sims easily tick that box.
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPonyRocks View Post
The easiest item would have been Phoenix being better at Heli simulation..
I know a guy who bought RF. He did not like RF for helis. He bought Phoenix. He used RF for planks, and Phoenix for helis. He got RF6, and has not used Phoenix since.

It's still personal preference. People can list "pros" and "cons" til the cows come home. Doesn't mean everyone agrees. And they don't.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
I do own both regardless of what MyPonyRocks thinks. That is easy to verify if you go back through my posting history, (not that I recommend that unless you want to doze off).

I don't mention Helis because at my level, (MCPx flown non 3d and MSR), there is little to choose between the physics of Phoenix and RF6. Phoenix might still be better, but I don't know.

Advantages for Phoenix:
Lots of planes from Horizon
Price
Upgrade policy

Personally, I much prefer RF6. I have flown Phoenix only a couple of hours at most since I bought RF6 and that was mainly to try out the V4 beta (which I personally find pretty underwhelming).

Your mileage not only may vary, it likely will vary (as I stated above) depending on how you want to use it and what you expect out of it.
Last edited by Madratter; Mar 28, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:00 PM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter View Post
I do own both regardless of what MyPonyRocks thinks. *EDITED THE MIDDLE BIT OUT*
Personally, I much prefer RF6. I have flown Phoenix only a couple of hours at most since I bought RF6 and that was mainly to try out the V4 beta (which I personally find pretty underwhelming).
I never questioned you owning both, I stated that you took the time to tell us why you love one product but failed to fully expand on the subject. Surely there is something you like about Phoenix or you would have sold it (unless like some you're hoping one day it will have user models and other highly demanded features that it does lack). I did word my post a bit harshly though, and I appologize for that.

I was just hoping for an objective approach to both sims as they both have pros and cons and who better to hear that from in a thread where some one is asking about both... than a person who does in fact own both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
It's still personal preference. People can list "pros" and "cons" til the cows come home. Doesn't mean everyone agrees. And they don't.
No but I know that if multiple people who owned both products looked at them in a similar way that I could likely judge their reasonings as accurate. I know that I could also take a single persons comparison and attempt to see what sort of planes they fly and make an educated guess which product would be right for me, especially if that person flew similar aircraft to me. Ultimately though you're correct, opinions have a saying for a reason
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPonyRocks View Post
I never questioned you owning both, I stated that you took the time to tell us why you love one product but failed to fully expand on the subject. Surely there is something you like about Phoenix or you would have sold it (unless like some you're hoping one day it will have user models and other highly demanded features that it does lack). I did word my post a bit harshly though, and I appologize for that.

I was just hoping for an objective approach to both sims as they both have pros and cons and who better to hear that from in a thread where some one is asking about both... than a person who does in fact own both.
Apology accepted.

I continue to own Phoenix, in part because I knew that V4 was coming up and I wanted to check it out, and in part because I just haven't gotten around to getting rid of it.

Phoenix happened to get a lot of things wrong that are important to me (like the way 3d foam planes fly [and yes I have tried editing them]), and Realflight happened to get a lot of things right (like user created content - I am making my own models [including creating the physics]).

My view is that if money is no object, then Realflight is the better product for most people, unless they fly Helicopters 3d (in which case, I'm not a good judge of which is currently better), or they primarily fly Horizon Hobby products.

If they do fly primarily Horizon Hobby products, and assuming Phoenix starts putting out frequent aircraft updates again, then it is nice to have access to new planes, probably before someone gets around to modeling them in Realflight.

At the end of the day, some people like Ford, and some like Chevy. It is quite possible there are people who fly 3d Foam airplanes who think Phoenix is even better at that. I think their wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if that person exists.
Last edited by Madratter; Mar 29, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:25 PM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
460 Posts
I have both &, personally, I like the planes in Phoenix better. I don't fly heli's or 3D. I'm a scale flyer & would like to see more electrics in both Phoenix & RF6 in the warbird/hi-wing/powered gliders class for we "lazy" pilots. I find the 3D interesting, although the lack of buildings & maybe a couple small villages would enhance the aerial view. The update to "i" seems to have eliminated a bit of "flutter" I was getting in chase view. I fly them both mainly to examine my control in flight & mainly landings as to approach/touchdown parameters. No matter which, they definitely improve your skills, especially for any of the newbies wanting to have a better grasp in the real world. They do make repairs so very fast, eh?????

Denny
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap