HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:34 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,525 Posts
Hmm when I first started reading this forum, someone was a heavy proponent of using Elmer's Rubber Cement, the classic stuff in the dark bottle with the orange white and blue label, and was so convincing about it that I went to four stores in my town before finding it as Staples. Now I can't recall who it was or what the specific ask it was recommended for, but it may have been laminating larger pieces together. Anyone else use the Elmer's Rubber Cement? I'm getting old, and won't be able to remember, and won't be building until winter.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:45 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,405 Posts
BEF,
I believe it was FreddieB that really likes it. I have tried it myself, but over time I am getting some delamination. Probably did not have enough in those areas.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:52 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,539 Posts
Raften, that denatured alcohol is ethanol, I think. They don't show a drawing of the molecule on the side of the can. <cough> I get it in gallons at Ace Hardware.

The atomizer spritzer is perfect for laying down a fine mist of alcohol on to a rattle can spray glue surface prior to fitting parts together. The mist of booze gets the glue just loose enough that you can reposition parts before clamping them together. This is my normal means of laminating KF steps on to wings or other laminated parts.

No form of alcohol will attack the foam, but any form of keytone will. You need to watch yer bad sef when using any adhesives with a highly volatile carrier, since the glue will be fine with the plastic but the spray itself will attack the styrene. Experiment with scrap pieces to get the right feel for how to use sprays.

And remember that MPF is EPS, not EPP nor EPE. You've prolly seen videos on YouTube and such showing folks like the Pettys splooshing spray glue all over the place on EPP. You can't get away with that on EPS.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:23 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
...And remember that MPF is EPS, not EPP nor EPE. ...
Correction, MPF is XPS! There is a big difference. EPS is what your styrofoam cups, and coolers are made from.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:57 PM
USA, CA, chino hills
Joined Sep 2010
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantken View Post
I live in Michigan. Do you know anybody who can CNC cut the MPF foam for me.
yup, his name is Bob...he is in the process of relocating but you can send him an email
http://www.balsabuddies.com/
TravisLabrador is offline Find More Posts by TravisLabrador
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:33 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,547 Posts
Thanks travis.

HOwever, I am in mid pack for a move to Indianapolis.
It will be a while before I can get everything back up and operational.

If you have a design that you want me to work in CAD on, while my CNC is down,
I can entertainthat effort prior to cutting.

Thanks to everyone for the all the business to date.

I'll announce my back in business status whne the time comes.

Best

Bob
www.balsabuddies.com
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
Hmm when I first started reading this forum, someone was a heavy proponent of using Elmer's Rubber Cement, the classic stuff in the dark bottle with the orange white and blue label, and was so convincing about it that I went to four stores in my town before finding it as Staples. Now I can't recall who it was or what the specific ask it was recommended for, but it may have been laminating larger pieces together. Anyone else use the Elmer's Rubber Cement? I'm getting old, and won't be able to remember, and won't be building until winter.

Quote:
BEF,
I believe it was FreddieB that really likes it. I have tried it myself, but over time I am getting some delamination. Probably did not have enough in those areas.

Ken
Allas it is I. Still using it. Did so yesterday BTW. Yes, large areas that might use spray glue. Lay it on thick, both sides to be joined. Let dry 10 minutes plenty. Once you touch the sides together, no getting it apart. It is very, very light when dry, cheap to purchase, and safe enough to sell to kid's in elementary school! If there is a lot of stress in an area, or you pull the two parts apart and re-set, you could get some small bits of de-lamination. A spot of glue there and you are good to go.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:09 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Correction, MPF is XPS!
Of course. Extruded versus simple expanded foam, which is molded into shape. Thanks for pointing that out.

[Marty hangs head in technical terminology shame]
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:19 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
Of course. Extruded versus simple expanded foam, which is molded into shape. Thanks for pointing that out.

[Marty hangs head in technical terminology shame]
No bad Marty, just don't want any confusion over the product.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:34 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,452 Posts
Trying a test lamination with clear gloss water-based polyurethane now. The sheets are on a flat surface, heavily weighted down with big ceramic floor tile pieces. I'll wait three days before I touch it.

(When I said the edible Elmer's made a "poor bond", I was being kind. There was no bond at all. I easily rubbed the dried glue off the sheets with my bare hand. It came off in little balls.)
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, IL, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2004
228 Posts
Excuse me if this has been covered already, but has anyone tried this product in a bendfaom jig? If so, what were the results? I have been going over the thread trying to find the info I seek, without luck so far...
Reehoe is online now Find More Posts by Reehoe
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:19 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,125 Posts
Heres My Latest Bird out of MPF a little slope soarer , my first .Name: IMG_4540-Optimized.jpg
Views: 113
Size: 67.5 KB
Description:

Found the plane over on THIS thread Spitfire ace1 Did a great job with it back in April but never released plans . I took a screen Shot from the video and drew up some plans in Sketchup . 24" span and its at 4.5 ounces without any paint on . Once i get the COG sorted i'll be ready for a windy day

IT may need a big bro with a BW on it
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Sep 09, 2012, 02:22 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,539 Posts
Reehoe, lots of people have been cold forming this stuff for all kindsa complex shapes. I made a tube of about 18 cm diameter for the tail end of what used to be a Flycat before the booms broke off. MPF forms very nicely be hand, so in a jig it's got to be putty.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:57 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,567 Posts
Rehoe: works fine in gpw's bendfoam. I've used it several times. Currently working on a M r. Mulligan & doing the aft fuse and fwd fuse parts as single pieces. MPF cold formed nicely for the main cylinders using the bendfoam but I used a bit of heat gun on the tail where it becomes essentially a fold.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:57 PM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Jan 2012
287 Posts
Built a Hammer 38 yesterday. The only reinforcement I used was the 1.5mm carbon for the X wing bracing and the balsa 1/4" triangles for the control surface bevels. I flew the plane yesterday evening with a very gusty wind and it flew great! I figure I have enough MPF left for two more planes so its time to get another order in.
LawnDartMike is offline Find More Posts by LawnDartMike