HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:13 PM
Canada
Joined Feb 2009
44 Posts
Craftsmanship like this is what inspires the rest of us! Truly amazing work and follow through. Imagine the feeling you are going to have when it all comes together and it flys for the first time. Good luck with the rest of the build.
xxKATANAxx is offline Find More Posts by xxKATANAxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,154 Posts
I put horizontal stab ver. 2.0 in the vacuum bag this morning and have all the internal guts ready to join it this evening. Tomorrow afternoon I'll have a 2nd (hopefully much lighter) stab half..
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,154 Posts
Horizontal stab Version 2.0 has its skins cured and in the garbage!

both skins ready to join came out to 12.3oz, with the addition of the internal structure and the pivot shaft, they would of ended up at 1.2lbs total weight. Lighter, but not enough!

Next step, is to get some thinner core material, and some lighter weight carbon (the stuff is $198 for 1 square yard! OUCH!)

I may also try a layup with very little carbon compared to what I have been doing and just go with an extra layer of glass. If tomorrow is to windy to get some flying in, I will layup another horizontal stab.

The plus side to all of this, is that once I figure it out, i'll know what needs to be done for the entire tail section of the airplane. It sucks to waste the material, but it doesn't hurt to much considering the core and carbon I have was purchased on sale for a very significant discount.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:59 AM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,276 Posts
nothin like the learning curve....keep up the good work...FYI if your going to use pure carbon on your layup make it about 25% liter than you think you need and it should be close
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
nothin like the learning curve....keep up the good work...FYI if your going to use pure carbon on your layup make it about 25% liter than you think you need and it should be close
Yea the learning curve sucks.. and is expensive! What really sucks, is once I get past the learning curve on the tail parts, i've then got to go through it with the wings... Oh, and then there is the REALLY steep learning curve of the fuselage and vacuum infusion!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:50 PM
ReVolt- Proprietary Insanity
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,592 Posts
These forums have really taken the edge off the learning curve for me!!
geostomp is offline Find More Posts by geostomp
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,154 Posts
All of the door and speed brake molds. I used some surface resin and some epoxy tooling dough to make these. Much easier and faster than doing glass layups. It took all of about 2 hours to do all of these molds..

And the right H. stab mold is closed up and curing. should have the first Pair of H. stabs tomorrow.. I also ordered some contest grade balsa sheets to try in the vertical stab layups.

I'm also thinking of offering nose and cockpit "display" sections (both kit and completed) for those who want a cool display to build up some funds to keep this project moving along..
Old May 02, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,154 Posts
And then there were two....
Old May 02, 2012, 07:46 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2010
156 Posts
They are a thing of beauty.
Did you manage to get the weight down to what you wanted? Or are these just so you can create a complete (albeit un-flyable) model?
android78 is offline Find More Posts by android78
Old May 02, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by android78 View Post
They are a thing of beauty.
Did you manage to get the weight down to what you wanted? Or are these just so you can create a complete (albeit un-flyable) model?
While these are heavier than i'd like (1 pound, instead of around 3/4 of a pound), I'm tired of wasting materials and time on parts that are essentially trash. These will be kept and ultimately flown on the prototype. They have proven to be the learning exercise i didn't expect to get, but the production parts will be lighter.
Old May 03, 2012, 02:59 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
125 Posts
I reckon that's not bad. It's not like they are small plus you need a fair bit of strength in them as you don't want them to flutter and break in flight. Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see pictures it all completed.
Kevc is offline Find More Posts by Kevc
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:16 PM
Joined Oct 2008
14 Posts
hey invertmast, did you ever finish those 1/7 scale phoenix missiles...i need 6 for my flyeagle f-14, that will be in kentucky jets....

please respond...thanks
mave311 is offline Find More Posts by mave311
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Mar 2004
3,154 Posts
I have CAD drawings for them, but other than that, i have done nothing else with them. The armament is not really a priority unless i get enough people interested in some of the stuff for their FEJ models.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:26 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2011
125 Posts
Any progress on this build? Would be great to hear how it's all going.
Kevc is offline Find More Posts by Kevc
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Mar 2004
3,154 Posts
No progress. I have been busy with work, family and trying to find a machinist