HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:08 PM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
775 Posts
Discussion
choosing a bec

Hello all,

I'm considering buying a cc bec pro. I have 4 analog servos + 3 digital.
Any opinions on this bec for 4s?

thanks
HF_ATL is offline Find More Posts by HF_ATL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2011, 02:47 PM
Joined Dec 2005
41 Posts
I'm installing one now on a 72" 3DHS Extra 330 - Hacker 12L motor, Castle 80 HV ESC, 4 Hitec 7985MG servos on an 8s setup - should be more than sufficient as a 4s setup. How hard will the seven servos be working?? Specs say BEC Pro is good for up to 20 amps supply to the RX.

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

JB
jb642 is offline Find More Posts by jb642
Old Jul 29, 2011, 02:50 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I am using the CC Pro in 3 different planes - 6 standard digital servos - rock solid so far.

Harry
Harry H is online now Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Jul 30, 2011, 06:35 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
775 Posts
thanks for yor reply.

but will the cc bec be enough? it's considerable lighter than the pro..
Old Jul 30, 2011, 08:19 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,773 Posts
The cc bec should be more than enough for 7 servos It depends on your flying skills and the type of flying. On a 4s plane, which really has nothing to do with the power supplied to rx/servos.
I run an 8Amp Megabec (2S power supply) on 15 lb scale plane, 8 digital servos, not the slightest issue! Another plane (also scale) uses an 8-15 Turnigy for 14 total servos! They both deliver 6 volts to the rx very reliably.
Just finishing up a 50cc Aeroworks 300 Extra, 5 PowerHD 9150 digital servos, same Turnigy 8-15A 2/3S Bec. JMHO FWIW Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:07 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
775 Posts
Well I've a glider and I'm using 4 servos all the time (rudder, elevator, 2x ailerons). The other two digital servos are flap servos and I'm using only them for landing. The other digital servo is for camera pan.

I'm considering the cc bec but I wonder if 5.1v output (factory default) is enough since at full loading voltage may drop for such a low value so that rx may be disconnected and the servos won't work as well.

I know I could buy the castlelink and set the output voltage I want but it's a little pricey as I will pay almost the same as for cc bec..
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:43 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_ATL View Post
thanks for yor reply.

but will the cc bec be enough? it's considerable lighter than the pro..

I thought you were talking about the Pro. Are you talking about the CC 10 amp? If so, no, it will not be enough. You also do want to increase the voltage to 6v. I have seen the field link being sold on here for a couple of dollars, you can use it to link to a computer to change the settings of the bec.

Harry
Old Jul 30, 2011, 01:15 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,186 Posts
I am very happy with my BEC Pro in an 8S powered 71" Slick using 4 digital at 6V. To get the BEC Pro to change voltage output you do need to program it with a Castle Link. If you don't have one it's a one time thing so you can have someone program it for you or you will have to get one.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Jul 30, 2011, 04:14 PM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
775 Posts
Well I was quoting from Doug Bartley reply thus mentioned the cc bec and not the pro.

Indeed If the cc bec will be enough I'll use it because at the moment I've the hobbyking 5-7.5A ubec and it weights ~40g! The cc bec is much more lightweight.

I'm really struggling between the cc bec and cc bec pro. Also I'd like to get one already programmed for other output voltage but that seems to not be very easy to achieve..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
I thought you were talking about the Pro. Are you talking about the CC 10 amp? If so, no, it will not be enough. You also do want to increase the voltage to 6v. I have seen the field link being sold on here for a couple of dollars, you can use it to link to a computer to change the settings of the bec.

Harry
Old Jul 30, 2011, 05:11 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I have spoken to a Castle tech about the max a cc 10 amp bec will provide. He informed me that 4 standard digital servos is MAX. This is a broad statement as all servos do not draw the same amps. I got a free field link card with a purchase of one of their ESC's.

Harry
Old Jul 30, 2011, 05:23 PM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
775 Posts
Unfortunately there's no data about these servos I've in my plane..

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1090

and the analog ones have 3w in the specs:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1060
Old Jul 30, 2011, 05:29 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Ok, that changes things. I believe you will be just fine with the 10 amp BEC. Those servos you are using are smaller and do not use that much amperage.

Harry

Too bad you are not closer as I have 3 just sitting around. Shipping would be more than the BEC.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 05:35 PM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
775 Posts
Well I think it won't be...
For instance I've ordered from dpcav and I paid around $4 for the shipping and I get the stuff in about 1 week... not bad