SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:22 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead600cc View Post
Ok, if we haven't anal-ized this too much, for those who care I'm VERY close to a better paint match. I did it last night and will check it when I get home after work just to make sure it's right in DAYLIGHT and keep you posted. By the way North, that aerial photo of the Carbon Cub ccss_e_13 in beautiful dark yellow /silver is a BEAUTIFUL colour combo - thanks! It goes into my 'scrapbook' along with the orange/silver Waco.

By the way, I found my fluorescent acrylics
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:55 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
There was a discussion somewhere as well as to whether the v bottom was necessary... the answer was that the v bottom was more for the comfort of the passengers in real planes. I asked about it here recently, nobody replied, unless I missed it.
I'm picking up Carbon Cub floats tomorrow and may or may not be able to try them immediately. If not then very soon.

No I didn't answer because except for one flight in a float plane I have no other RL experience. The float flight was AWESOME, the pilot was EXPERT!! This was in the Adirondacks and that's all he did was short local tours and transporting hunting/fishing trips. I've been on a *lotta* large passenger jet flights. This float landing was like landing on cotton candy. Could tell more by the sound than the feeling that we'd actually touched the water. Expert-expert pilot.

That v-bottom = passenger comfort makes sense. I -thought- it'd be for directionality, but very likely has little to do with it. Plane on water is totally subject to wind. All the ROW tutorials I see always say launch into wind, launch into wind. Period. Unlike ROG I'd half-bet that -trying- to launch at an angle to the wind is extremely difficult, closer to impossible. The v vs flat probably has no effect as far as steering goes.

The reason v-bottom for comfort makes sense over flat bottom is that the v 'gradually' cuts into the water and settles further into it. A flat bottom probably tends to 'slap' it more, even with an otherwise perfect landing.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:00 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,576 Posts
jbarchuk...

once again, I'm reading your reply as I head off to bed. One more work day and I'm off for 3 days... will get all caught up with you on this stuff soon, bud
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:28 AM
United States, LA, Larose
Joined Mar 2005
177 Posts
okay, so my buddy and I got some champs. We did the four channel mod to it. I used the guts from a parkzone sukhoi. We did the full wing ailerons at first, but then tried the smaller ones and left some dihedral. Well that did not work. the ailerons were useless. So we flatted out the wing. Now this flies so amazing. I added some negitive expo and I can slip her in for landings.
shawn pierce is offline Find More Posts by shawn pierce
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:24 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,576 Posts
Shawn, how did you flatten the wing... I think I see piano wire?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Mar 2005
177 Posts
little bit of heat. and it has a carbon fiber rod glued to it.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:16 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn pierce View Post
The Super Cub LP folks use this method, plus weight, to flatten their wings as well. Seems to work if you're careful with the heat Too much and it's oh
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Jun 2012
136 Posts
Nice work, Shawn.

So I got my Champ last week.
At last.
Time to get busy.

Already done:
decals removed (and a lot of paint )
bigger main and tail wheel with "chrome" hub caps
oleo dampers
wing struts (removable for some reason)

I didn't want it to get to heavy and I think I didn't do to bad:
wing struts, not including the carbon tubes glued to the fuse and wings: 1.4 gramm per side
complete main gear, incl. wheels and "oleos": 5.8 gr
tail wheel: 0.3 gr

yet to come:
exhausts
custom waterslide decals
rudder struts
outlines (cowl, door, etc.)

Thanks to everyone in this thread for crazy ideas and useful tips!
Mac Smith is offline Find More Posts by Mac Smith
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:46 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,174 Posts
@Shawn

Photo #3 top corner. I still don't get how the flaps would go "up" and "down"...it looks like the servo would push the flaps side to side. Of course, I am a newb so, I know I'm missing something here.

It looks like you'er doing a fine job though..

Mike
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:55 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,174 Posts
Mac S. nice work. I'd be afraid the wing struts would go right through the wing on a crash. But, then again, you'er not suppose to crash...right?

Mike.
Chap1012 is online now Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
Joined Jun 2012
136 Posts
Thanks Mike.

I was afraid, too, that's why the struts are removable.
The thin struts are not glued ito/onto the wing and can flex a bit, they're connected to the thick ones only by heatshrink and a small drop of CA.
In theory, if the struts get caught somewhere, they slide out towards the rear of the plane without damaging the wing any further.
I don't plan to test this intentionally, though, and even think about taking them of for the first few flights.
Mac Smith is offline Find More Posts by Mac Smith
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:05 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Photo #3 top corner. I still don't get how the flaps would go "up" and "down"...it looks like the servo would push the flaps side to side.
Mike, check pic #9 which says older version, but I think there's no change in that part of the assembly, and it shows that area a little more sharply. The server pushes on that control arm, which rotates. The wires that go from the control arm out to the ailerons are not mounted through holes in the control arm, they are in slots. The slots are made from the original usual series of holes, connected together to make a slot.

As the control arm rotates the wire will slide in the slot, inward and outward from the center, *and* also twist forward and backwards. The fore/aft twist moves down to where the wire is fastened to the underside of the top of the wing, and it is translated into a rotation. That rotation moves down the wire to where it's attached to the aileron.

Shawn, I saw where you said it flies excellently, but watch out for flutter! The one most important assembly aspect that -discourages- flutter is linkage tightness/accuracy. The reason I say discourage and not prevent is that -anything- if it goes fast enough can flutter. This assembly, which has inaccuracy deliberately designed into it, even at this light weight might cause flutter. The arm segment from the control arm out to the aileron, where it's mounted to the underside of the wing, watch for play there in the foam itself. Vibration (incipient flutter) there could cause the foam to degrade / get soft or even tear.

Making the ailerons smaller was a good idea, the big area is not necessary, and will also cut down on the potential for flutter.

Very clever idea, that slot.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Mar 2005
177 Posts
I hear ya. I cant take credit for any of the mods. my buddy bob did them. I using a 9503 radio and take advantage of all its features. throws and expo.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:23 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,576 Posts
Hey, Mac... nice!

Yeah I made my wings struts "break away" as well... I chose a material (styrene) with alot of flex so they'd just pop out of their attachment points (just slid under some tape) and also, like Mike said, so they wouldn't puncture right through the wing in certain types of crashes (I also reinforced the wing surfaces with little blocks of tape where the strut ends rest against the wing (the ends are also bent at an angle that that lets them sit flush... again, so there's nothing that will jab the wing surface in a crash). They do pop out all the time in harder crashes and I haven't sustained any damage at all due to them.

My tail braces, however, are meant to be functional so I used very thin CF (for a scale look) rod and they are CA'd on. I did have one pop off the other day when I put it eye level into a spruce tree trying to navigate it into my back yard from the field out back... both attachment points took some paint and foam with them, but I glued it back and you wouldn't even know (the paint was the weak point on the break at one of the rod ends, I should have removed a bit in the attachment points and glued directly to the foam but, then again, it was a small chunk of foam that ripped out with the other rod end). So, yeah, don't glue any part of your strut assembly to the wing or body or you're probably looking at torn chunks of foam in even the lightest crashes if they catch on something.

... speaking from experience (I think you said you haven't flown it yet)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:25 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn pierce View Post
Can you elaborate... with very specific details?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Jul 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: spelling