HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:41 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
How long ago would they have changed? I have on that's maybe... 8 months old. Would that be a switching one? Is there a way to tell?
Probably it is the switching BEC.

2 clues....

The 3 wire lead that goes to the Rx has a ferrite choke on it, and the ESC itself has a large square heatsink on the side opposite the sticker.

The older one's with the linear BEC did not have the ferrite, or the large heatsink.

EDIT;

Actually it's not a heatsink.... it's a metal "cage" to contain the noisy switching circuitry.

The heatsink for the ESC proper, is on the sticker side.

Yes, I have peeled off the shrinkwrap and had a look.

galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Last edited by galaxiex; Jul 04, 2010 at 09:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:48 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks sir! I'm indeed switching then.

I'm maybe 7 days from maiden... but am already deficating myself about the throw.. how hard I'll need to throw etc...

So... I'm wondering... what are the wheel options? Or maybe ... a trolly! I am lucky to have a few cricket pitches when I fly... I could take off on that, leaving the trolly behind when there's sufficient lift?

Ah - be Brave, Cralis, and just chuck the damn thing!
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:52 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,990 Posts
get someone to chuck it for you! lol... I hate having to chuck my maidens myself...
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jul 04, 2010, 09:58 PM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
Get you're wife to throw it!, you can blame her if it crashes..

Cheers, kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Jul 04, 2010, 10:02 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
haha.. good call, but have you seen my wife throw? when she throws a stick or a ball for the dog.. the dog really doesn't have to get up to go fetch it. No - that will certainly not work... Wow, I hope she doesn't check these forums!!!
Old Jul 04, 2010, 10:04 PM
Australia, NSW, Peakhurst
Joined Mar 2006
163 Posts
Better to go opto... take out +pin on speedie (Red) and use a ubec from your aux battery that runs the vid and TX..
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...oise_Reduction

Use a ferrite core over the ubec (comes with one) and also just run your X3 AC lines from the motor , just have them past through the ferrite core ring and on the other led to you RX but wrap that as many times as you can.. cuts most of , if not all the high speed switching RF from the speedie.. every little helps
Cheers
Richard
Bear_au is offline Find More Posts by Bear_au
Old Jul 04, 2010, 10:06 PM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
hehe, i don't think you'll have to much trouble. Does it weigh much more than your EZ*?.

Most of the videos i've seen of the Walker, the launch has looked quite effortless.

Cheers, kev.
Old Jul 04, 2010, 10:24 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
For you, I just ordered a $7.95 scale off ebay. Delivered! it's gonna be a high quality scale! So, I'll get an AUW for you.

The SW is quite a bit heavier, but once you have the tail on, wings... which I did for the first time last night, I'm shocked, amazed and happy at the size. it's HUGE!! I've held it in the throwing position... and it feels good to throw... but it's way bigger than the EZ*... It's boardering on intimidating! It's a very very big plane. I like it though!

My only concern is what people have been saying... it flys at 50km/h. Now, on my throws with the EZ*, I usually go to maybe 60% throttle and throw... and then adjust the throttle to get a nice flat path, gaining speed and then climbing. But my OSD says I throw it to around 30km/h ...

So, throwing the bigger, heavier SW... I expect to obtain the same speed on the throwm which means it will need to gain speed rather quick, if it cruises at 50! I've got around 20km/h to gain before I am flying. Until then, I'm stalling!

That's my only worry... That, and hitting my head as the tail comes past!
Old Jul 04, 2010, 10:40 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,569 Posts
50km/h may be cruise speed.... but what is the stall speed?

I bet it's less than 50km/h.

Probably your 30km/h throw is plenty.
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Jul 05, 2010, 12:19 AM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
sooo. I finished up the plane the other day. Topped out at 1.7kg which isnt too bad and it balances well in front of the servo wires so I might even have to move my battery back a little. Cant complain about that Next it to see how it flies.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jul 05, 2010, 12:25 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
That's a good weight Ash. How many mAh you running?.

Cheers, kev.
Old Jul 05, 2010, 12:32 AM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
I've got two packs to choose from. A 4s3500 and 4s4000. Both are identical weights cuz of the C rating, but the setup draws something like 16-18 amps WOT (works out to 270 watts) , so I'm looking at some insane flight times... Im also running a 1300mah video battery.
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Jul 05, 2010, 10:22 AM
I think my wheels fell off.
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
Mines done. No special mods. 2 x 2200 and a GoPro balances fine and IMO CoG should not be any more forward than the servo wires even 5-10mm back works good. Enjoying this plane lots.

http://vimeo.com/13097075
Thumb_number is offline Find More Posts by Thumb_number
Old Jul 05, 2010, 10:31 AM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
485 Posts
[QUOTE=Thumb_number;15470107]Mines done. No special mods. 2 x 2200 and a GoPro balances fine and IMO CoG should not be any more forward than the servo wires even 5-10mm back works good. Enjoying this plane lots.

Hi there,

it's nice video, really smooth and enjoyable. Do you use some kind of gyro,
Co-Pilot?

Thanks
IL76MD is offline Find More Posts by IL76MD
Old Jul 05, 2010, 10:31 AM
United States, AL, Foley
Joined Nov 2005
532 Posts
Really nice flying and video!

What motor are you using?
CoastalTom is online now Find More Posts by CoastalTom