SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2014, 02:52 PM
Find More Posts by mklinker
Joined Jun 2011
476 Posts
New Product
FFBLG: Gimbal for Mobius Action Camera

Here is a brushless gimbal designed for the Mobius Action Camera.

The kit for this gimbal is available for $35 at http://klinkeraerospace.com/

It is 3D printed out of ABS plastic, and designed to be used with a wide variety of motors and controllers.

-Designed to be mounted on front of QAV, TBS Disco, Phantom, or any multirotor.
-Integrated vibration isolation.
-Lighter than aluminum.
-Basic, simple design that is easy to build and install.

Please post here to discuss what you think of the gimbal, 3D printing in our hobby, and what you would like to see in the future.

There is another thread here on RCGroups, but I wanted to talk about the gimbal specific for the Mobius Camera.

Mike
mklinker is offline Find More Posts by mklinker
Last edited by mklinker; Jan 28, 2014 at 07:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2014, 10:20 PM
Find More Posts by hoggdoc
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jan 2013
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklinker View Post
Here is a brushless gimbal designed for the Mobius Action Camera.

The kit for this gimbal is available for $35 at http://klinkeraerospace.com/brushles...ech-specs.html

It is 3D printed out of ABS plastic, and designed to be used with a wide variety of motors and controllers.

-Designed to be mounted on front of QAV, TBS Disco, or any existing multirotor (DJI Phantom included!).
-Integrated vibration isolation.
-Lighter than aluminum.
-Basic, simple design that is easy to build and install.

Please post here to discuss what you think of the gimbal, 3D printing in our hobby, and what you would like to see in the future.

There is another thread here on RCGroups, but I wanted to talk about the gimbal specific for the Mobius Camera.

Mike
I actually have the very first of these Mobius Gimbals. Mike did a super job of designing this unit, the balance of both pitch and roll are near perfect.

I diffidently recommend this gimbal, don't let it's simplicity and cost fool you.

HD
hoggdoc is offline Find More Posts by hoggdoc
Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:09 AM
Find More Posts by François_D
France, near Rennes, Bretagne
Joined Sep 2010
64 Posts
I also got one and I'm very happy with it ! Thanks again Mike !

I just built this hand held box to experiment with settings (and before using the gimbal in a fpv glider).
The controller board can use the alexmos 2.2b2 software.
As you can see, this one came with a very small accelerometer/gyroscope sensor.
It works from a 9V battery and I added a on/ff switch, led, and a joystick, to control the pitch, and, more useful, to use it for switching between profiles, for example with or without "follow mode".
François_D is offline Find More Posts by François_D
Old Jan 21, 2014, 04:32 PM
Joined Jun 2011
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by François_D View Post

I just built this hand held box to experiment with settings (and before using the gimbal in a fpv glider).
It works from a 9V battery and I added a on/ff switch, led, and a joystick, to control the pitch, and, more useful, to use it for switching between profiles, for example with or without "follow mode".
I really like what you did with the Mobius gimbal! Where did you get the joystick from?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 04:35 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,394 Posts
Quote:

How about a short video showing this in operation along with a sample video clip.

HD
Old Jan 21, 2014, 05:09 PM
Joined Sep 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklinker View Post
I really like what you did with the Mobius gimbal! Where did you get the joystick from?
It's an ebay purchase, easy find, I don't remember which seller but here is one for $1.99 for example. They are similar to the models used in Playstation pads, and usually associated with Arduino developpement kits.

>>>How about a short video showing this in operation along with a sample video clip.

I might do this tomorrow...
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:25 AM
Joined Jun 2011
476 Posts
Quote:
It's an ebay purchase, easy find, I don't remember which seller but here is one for $1.99 for example. They are similar to the models used in Playstation pads, and usually associated with Arduino developpement kits.

>>>How about a short video showing this in operation along with a sample video clip.

I might do this tomorrow...
I'm looking forward to the video!

what type of signal does that playstation pad put out for each axis?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:13 AM
Joined Sep 2010
64 Posts
This joystick is pure analog, ie it's just two potentiometers and a switch. You give it gnd, vcc, and you get two analog tensions from the pots. For now, with the two motors / two axis board, I only wired one axis of the joystick (vertical) to the pitch, as controlling the roll has no interest. It would be useful for the yaw on a 3 axis configuration.
There is a (menu) button on my controller board but no button connector, so I just soldered a wire on the button..
I'll shoot some video soon, I need some time.. and I'm still fighting with the PID values to get a smooth optimized operation

Also, for real life use, as I discovered by experience, the principle of a "handle" behind a 2 axis gimbal is not the best. The handle would be best placed under it, on the non stabilized yaw axis. Once you stabilized two axis, the defaults from the non stabilized one are even more visible...
Old Jan 24, 2014, 12:08 PM
Find More Posts by Neilyboy
Joined Mar 2013
216 Posts
I am very interested in this project! I will be building one of these in the near future!!
Neil
Neilyboy is offline Find More Posts by Neilyboy
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:55 PM
Joined Jun 2011
476 Posts
Same gimbal, different camera!

Forward Facing Brushless Gimbal on S800 (1 min 19 sec)
Old Mar 09, 2014, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by mykalt45
Joined Oct 2013
5 Posts
Would you sell the plans for this so I could make it for myself? My friend has a 3D printer, and I'd like to try make it for myself. I am not intending to sell it or anything, I just want to see if he could make it and we could shave and alter the design a bit for personal use? Also, would this work for an AR Drone 2.0?
mykalt45 is offline Find More Posts by mykalt45
Old Mar 09, 2014, 09:52 AM
Joined Jan 2013
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalt45 View Post
Would you sell the plans for this so I could make it for myself? My friend has a 3D printer, and I'd like to try make it for myself. I am not intending to sell it or anything, I just want to see if he could make it and we could shave and alter the design a bit for personal use? Also, would this work for an AR Drone 2.0?
I can't believe you are even asking this. Mike has spent hours developing and refining his designs.

I truly hope his answer is NO!

HD
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by scrub
Joined Feb 2014
75 Posts
Brushless gimbal for Mobius

Hi Mike,

I am interested in your 3D printed gimbal for my mobius.
I have a GLB 2 axis gimbal (its heavy and overkill for my mobius http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phant...otography.html , can I use the two brushless motors and the alexmos 2.2b it came with on your gimbal mount?

Thanks,

Scrub
scrub is offline Find More Posts by scrub
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:50 PM
Joined Jun 2011
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrub View Post
Hi Mike,

I am interested in your 3D printed gimbal for my mobius.
I have a GLB 2 axis gimbal (its heavy and overkill for my mobius http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phant...otography.html , can I use the two brushless motors and the alexmos 2.2b it came with on your gimbal mount?

Thanks,

Scrub
Yes, all of those parts should be compatible with my gimbal kit.
Mike
Old Mar 20, 2014, 01:22 PM
Find More Posts by scrub
Joined Feb 2014
75 Posts
Ok, thanks!
scrub is offline Find More Posts by scrub