Old Aug 01, 2015, 07:54 AM
Find More Posts by old_coastie
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeric View Post
Well, my Mako gets maidened in the morning, weather permitting. Looking forward to it!
Best of luck, look forward to flight report...
old_coastie is online now Find More Posts by old_coastie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2015, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by Xeric
aka: Scott Ellis
United States, MT, Billings
Joined Dec 2012
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coastie View Post
Best of luck, look forward to flight report...
More of a fail-to-fly report. It did take off, once, but the elevator was SO sensitive that it was all I could do to manage a (semi-) controlled landing. Toned down the elevator a bit and then she wouldn't take off again.

But not, I think, for lack of elevator throw. I powered it with a motor I had lying around, far smaller than recommended. That motor DOES produce enough thrust to just about hover the airplane, but apparently it takes a little bit more than that to suck it off the water! I think it took off the first time either by luck of a little breeze at the perfect moment or because the fresh battery delivered just that tiny bit more umph.

I've got a bit bigger motor here--will bolt that on and report back, perhaps this afternoon.
Xeric is offline Find More Posts by Xeric
Old Aug 01, 2015, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by Xeric
Joined Dec 2012
1,796 Posts
Well then. Got to looking at the numbers and determined that the motor I had on there had the potential to produce considerably more thrust if propped accordingly, so a stop at the LHS on the way back to the pond, and . . .

And it popped right off the water and flew fine, I guess. By which I mean it flies like a Crack Turbo Beaver and, I suppose, like most other flat foamies. It amounts to, as I like to say, an aiming system for a motor. I know I lot of folks love that, and more power to them.

However, when I got disoriented for a split second (no markings on it to help with that, yet) and went in vertically at very high speed from maybe 75 feet up and completely destroyed the airplane, well, I'm afraid that for me it was no great loss. I know I'm doing a bit of snap judging, have flow it for three or four minutes total, but I think I'm going to replace it with another Slow Boat--an airplane I find much more to my liking in the air and much more fun on the water.

Please note, I'm making no judgement about the capabilities of the airplane. I'm speaking only of taste, and mine in particular. Yours is quite likely different!
Old Aug 01, 2015, 06:05 PM
Find More Posts by gatorb8
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
3,919 Posts
No doubt the Mako is a very sporty plane and will go exactly where you point it! It can go like a rocket to so fast reflexes will be required if you give it some throttle.

Sorry you put her in, a slow boat is another excellent choice. With the light wing loading and dihedral, you will find it will be a bit slower and more self righting!
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
Old Aug 01, 2015, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by Xeric
Joined Dec 2012
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
No doubt the Mako is a very sporty plane and will go exactly where you point it! It can go like a rocket to so fast reflexes will be required if you give it some throttle.

Sorry you put her in, a slow boat is another excellent choice. With the light wing loading and dihedral, you will find it will be a bit slower and more self righting!
Yeah, gator, I've flown both and know what you mean. In land planes (and, yeah, more expensive ones) I've found that an Extreme Flight Extra 300 48" is both 3D capable (much more so than I am, at this point) and can also be toned down to fly like an extremely cooperative sport aircraft. (And I'm sure there are a dozen similar choices out there.) My experience with flat foamie 3D planes (the Mako and a Crack Turbo Beaver) is that they're REALLY good at crazy things but not very, oh, airplane-like at lower speeds/throws. As I said, I'm well aware that this is a matter of taste, but I think I'm back to a Slow Boat.
Old Aug 02, 2015, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by Daedalus66
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
18,304 Posts
Mako is very docile if set up with the correct CG and control throws. With CG even a little too far back and control throws suitable for 3D it can be a real handful! But it's very far from being "an aiming system for a motor" unless you make it so.

Mako has significant dihedral effect from the sloping sides of the floats. It can be flown around on rudder quite easily (unlike, for example, Polaris).

As for water handling, this is one of Mako's strengths. It is extremely stable and gets off very easily (since the step was moved ahead a couple of years ago).

A couple of minutes of flying with excessive control throws is not a good basis for assessing the handling of a model. Even trainee pilots have had no difficulty flying my Mako on low rates with moderate throttle settings.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Aug 02, 2015, 08:29 AM
Find More Posts by Xeric
Joined Dec 2012
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Mako is very docile if set up with the correct CG and control throws. With CG even a little too far back and control throws suitable for 3D it can be a real handful! But it's very far from being "an aiming system for a motor" unless you make it so.

Mako has significant dihedral effect from the sloping sides of the floats. It can be flown around on rudder quite easily (unlike, for example, Polaris).

As for water handling, this is one of Mako's strengths. It is extremely stable and gets off very easily (since the step was moved ahead a couple of years ago).

A couple of minutes of flying with excessive control throws is not a good basis for assessing the handling of a model. Even trainee pilots have had no difficulty flying my Mako on low rates with moderate throttle settings.
1) Again (and again, and again), I'm not putting the airplane down. I just think it flies in a very distinctive way (as does the Beaver, among the things I've flown) that I happen do describe as "aiming a motor." I'm sure it can DO that quite docily--it's just not a type of flying that's really to my taste. I'm not looking for (and haven't for quite some time needed) something that can be "flown around on rudder," just something that flies in a manner that, again, is hard to describe but I tend to call "like an airplane."

2) For the record, the CG was slightly nose-heavy, and the control throws slightly LESS than the low rates recommended in the manual.

3) The water handling (did a lot of that while it was underpowered) is good, but I really don't think it is as good as the Slow Boat. That one's amazing.
Old Aug 02, 2015, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by Squall
United States, OH, Ravenna
Joined Nov 2012
546 Posts
I flew my Mako, Polaris and Sloboat yesterday at a float fly. It got up to 8 mph winds and about 3-4" chop.

I probably spend 20% of my flight time flying upright and level while the bigger nitro planes spend 95-100% of there flight time upright and level; what fun is that?

These 3 planes are about as different as 3 planes can be. Both the Mako and Polaris can be flown mild to wild. I think my Sloboat has the worst water handling characteristics of the 3, especially in the wind.

Did have one mishap, broke the motor mount off of the Polaris doing "mild" snap rolls with it. The prop went through the wing, but I just flew the plane down as a glider. It'll be a 15 minute repair job!
Squall is offline Find More Posts by Squall
Old Aug 02, 2015, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by Xeric
Joined Dec 2012
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall View Post
I flew my Mako, Polaris and Sloboat yesterday at a float fly. It got up to 8 mph winds and about 3-4" chop.

I probably spend 20% of my flight time flying upright and level while the bigger nitro planes spend 95-100% of there flight time upright and level; what fun is that?

These 3 planes are about as different as 3 planes can be. Both the Mako and Polaris can be flown mild to wild. I think my Sloboat has the worst water handling characteristics of the 3, especially in the wind.

Did have one mishap, broke the motor mount off of the Polaris doing "mild" snap rolls with it. The prop went through the wing, but I just flew the plane down as a glider. It'll be a 15 minute repair job!
I probably shouldn't characterize the Slow Boat as better or worse on the water than the Mako. But it WILL do this really cool high-speed sliding turn that the Mako won't, or I couldn't get it to do, without slinging a lot of water into the prop.

In any case, yep, certainly very different airplanes (and, by the way, either of them WAY more capable and/or forgiving than a Sport Cub on floats!). Not exactly which way I'll go, but need to get something back on the water for these hot summer days. Too much fun!