Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:39 AM
Too Many Hobbies
United States, OH, Massillon
Joined Jan 2012
181 Posts
Question
Alternative to common strips?

Hello everyone.
I have an E85 hexa. It is a carbon fiber framed hexacopter. The distance around the entire bird is approximately 14 feet.
It is nearly ready for flight and I am exploring my lighting options.
Problem is that there aren't any flat surfaces on the edges for the strip to stick to.
I am looking for suggestions for an alternative to the "strip".
I will be flying this with a 5 cell lipo, 18.5+ volts.

Here is a link to a pic for reference;
http://www.uavframe.com/en/11-uav-mu...que-frame.html
Dreaming is offline Find More Posts by Dreaming
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2013, 08:19 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Dreaming:
It is probably easier said that done, but it looks like you have enough surface area to add LED strips in segments. See attached. In areas where adhesion is an issue, you would need to take the strips down with dots of CA or epoxy or use strips of clear flexible tape.

Hope that helps a little.

Regards,
Bombay
Night Flying Accessories for Sale (LEDs, controllers)
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Apr 05, 2013, 08:12 AM
Bonnie Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
847 Posts
Why do you need to install the strips on the edges? There are plenty of flat surfaces on the upper and lower arm faces and you will probably be looking at the underside of the model most of the time it is in the air. Bombay's sketch looks good if you really must have LED strips on the edges.
electrotor is offline Find More Posts by electrotor
Old Apr 05, 2013, 09:11 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrotor View Post
Why do you need to install the strips on the edges? There are plenty of flat surfaces on the upper and lower arm faces and you will probably be looking at the underside of the model most of the time it is in the air.
Agreed...appears to be flat enough surfaces on top and bottom...where you would get a lot of benefit from the LEDs. I just added segments on the sides to show that it is probably doable. And actually, the sides would be visible from any position.

Hopefully since Dreaming's post is from Feb, he/she has already figured out a lighting setup that works for their application.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay