HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
14 Posts
Mini-Review
First Purchase from Banana - FMS Skyraider

NOTE: Please read the entire thread for my day by day updates, but my verdict (pre-first flight) is that BH is a good company to order an inexpensive, but good quality, RC plane through. Not sure about all the neg press, considering what you get for the money. If you want hand-holding and someone at your fingertips - then support your LHS and build a relationship there. I cannot afford to pay $300+ for my first mid-sized park flyer - so this was a worthwhile purchase. Even if I swapped out all the electronics because they crapped out before the first flight or just got the vanilla kit and built it up with parts from my LHS - this plane was well worth the money. It looks great and feels solid - and for under $90 -with free shipping???? No brainer. I will update post-flight to report on the actual plane.

ALSO - please read this post before your maiden flight -- http://goo.gl/JvUQg The CG and how you try to take off will make or break this plane.

ORIGINAL POST: OK - Kinda spooked by the haters on here, but I am not too worried about a little DIY repair if needed... Just ordered (Order #18113-121203) an FMS A1 Skyraider.

First impressions...
Good News: Price for this model with free shipping is great - lowest around and reviews all over the web say that this is a great little plane. The free shipping made me decide to buy here instead of from NitroPlanes.

I really like their videos and the photos of their products are nice - I hope I get what I see in the pictures, if so I will be VERY pleased considering the cost.

The Not-So-Good: I was not able to apply the Facebook Like 3% discount. Not a huge deal, but a bad customer experience on first purchase is kind of a bummer. This was an already good deal, so I won't fuss too much. I did put a note on my order that their promo code was rejected as expired and hope they offer to make good either through including an extra prop or servo or something to make it a wash - will see.

I also asked if I could email a shipping label and ship it on my personal express shipping account (since they are eating the shipping cost as it is) - this would increase their margin as well as satisfy my impatient nature. I have not heard a response yet. Certainly not a deal breaker, but it would be a nice (and simple to implement) perk to help retain a customer...

My big hope is that I get it by this weekend so I can get it in the air. Stay tuned.
bmeeks24 is offline Find More Posts by bmeeks24
Last edited by bmeeks24; Dec 15, 2012 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Add summary at the top of the first post for visibility.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:49 PM
Customer Support
United States, CA, Irwindale
Joined Nov 2010
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeeks24 View Post
OK - Kinda spooked by the haters on here, but I am not too worried about a little DIY repair if needed... Just ordered (Order #18113-121203) an FMS A1 Skyraider.

First impressions...
Good News: Price for this model with free shipping is great - lowest around and reviews all over the web say that this is a great little plane. The free shipping made me decide to buy here instead of from NitroPlanes.

I really like their videos and the photos of their products are nice - I hope I get what I see in the pictures, if so I will be VERY pleased considering the cost.

The Not-So-Good: I was not able to apply the Facebook Like 3% discount. Not a huge deal, but a bad customer experience on first purchase is kind of a bummer. This was an already good deal, so I won't fuss too much. I did put a note on my order that their promo code was rejected as expired and hope they offer to make good either through including an extra prop or servo or something to make it a wash - will see.

I also asked if I could email a shipping label and ship it on my personal express shipping account (since they are eating the shipping cost as it is) - this would increase their margin as well as satisfy my impatient nature. I have not heard a response yet. Certainly not a deal breaker, but it would be a nice (and simple to implement) perk to help retain a customer...

My big hope is that I get it by this weekend so I can get it in the air. Stay tuned.
Good afternoon bmeeks24.

Please note that the Facebook discount was applied to your order, which you should be able to see issued back into your account within 1 - 3 business days.
In regards to us using the label from you, unfortunately, we are unable to do so. I do apologize for the inconveniences that this may have caused.
When checking up on your order, your package should be delivered to you sometime next week.

Best Regards,
Nancy
Nancy BH CSR is offline Find More Posts by Nancy BH CSR
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Jan 2011
14 Posts
Nancy, you are everywhere! Thanks a bunch for looking into this.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:26 PM
Customer Support
Joined Nov 2010
252 Posts
Quote:
Nancy, you are everywhere! Thanks a bunch for looking into this.
Hello bmeeks24.

You are welcome as I am happy to have assisted you with your inquiries.

Sincerely,
Nancy
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Jan 2011
14 Posts
three days and it still just says Order Status: Approved. So not very fast getting the order out the door. I wish the CSR's were the ones packing up and shipping out the orders. They seem to be on top of every post online.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:32 PM
Joined Jan 2011
14 Posts
Data sent to UPS! YAY... Scheduled delivery on the 12th! PLEASE let it all be in good working order!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:45 PM
Customer Support
Joined Nov 2010
252 Posts
Hello bmeeks24.

If we go to the Shipping Department, how would we be able to assist you and other pilots such as yourself?
I'm glad that your order has already left our facility and will be delivering to you on the 12th. Please let me know how everything turned out.

Thank you,
Nancy
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Jan 2011
14 Posts
Package delivered this afternoon... First impressions:

Great packaging, everything looks like it traveled very well. This plane looks AWESOME! My buddy at work is thinking about getting one now. I have a few micro-flyers from Parkzone and this is MUCH bigger and heavier. I almost don't want to fly it - just put it on display - it really looks that good!

I am really impressed by the remote. I somewhat expected some junky remote since it was a bundle deal. I can't say that it is ACTUALLY good, but I can say that it is heavy and feels of good material and quality. Once I get it out and flying I can say more - but out of the box, it feels nicer than what I have on some of my RTF helis from a few years ago.

The extra battery and prop were secured in the box with everything else and nothing was loose. I cannot wait to get home and start putting it all together.

Did I mention that it looks GREAT! Now I REALLY want one of the other warbirds. You cannot beat the price on the A1 right now though.

Pictures will come later...
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Jan 2011
14 Posts
UPDATE....OK - if you are like me and this is your first step up up from an RTF Parkzone micro plane, then it will not be ready to fly in an hour. My NEXT plane will be a different story.

Instructions are not very useful for a total NOOB - I had no idea that the splitter was for the ailerons and had to be put on before the wing is attached nor did I have a clue how to attach the part that goes on the control surface that connects to the servo rods. I also was not really sure how to attach the servos to the receiver and still am not sure how to secure the guts under the canopy.

But everything was a simple google search away. I have tested it and am ready to fly in the morning if the weather allows. Build was very easy, and this looks fantastic complete.

Only issue I have found is that the tail wheel is not aligned with the rudder and I have already glued in the rear fins, so I cannot easily adjust it. I should have checked it first... I can trim it and adjust the servo rod length.

NOTE: If, by chance, you have an ESKY llama - the battery charger power supply will work with the charger.

This is a very solid plane and heavy too. So far so good.

More to come....
Last edited by bmeeks24; Dec 14, 2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling error was bothering me!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Jan 2011
14 Posts
BUMMMER - first flight was really nice and exciting but plane wanted to roll left kinda bad, it was trim-able - not sure why because all of the surfaces looked straight. Started getting windy so I packed it up. landed a bit hard and overreacted so the plane tipped nose over and the prop busted on contact with the ground (as I had seen in other reviews - get extra props as you learn to fly tail draggers) The plane was much faster than I expected...

Went home and checked and the motor plate was loose. I re-glued it and let it sit for a long while. Later tonight I took it back out and everything pre-flight checked OK. So I decided to hand launch to avoid another broken prop. The plane went 5 feet then immediately pitched nose down and did a death roll to the left (just like before) and dug a hole in the ground. broke the cowling and cracked the fuse in the cartwheel that followed. I have no idea why it did that.... Full throttle and full right turn and it still went straight down and left.

I may need to check battery and RX placement, maybe CG or something???? I will dig deeper once all the glue dries. Headed to LHS to get some advice and a few more props!!!

Any pointers welcome,,,
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:13 AM
Joined Jan 2011
14 Posts
Found the answers on the forum...

http://goo.gl/JvUQg

Hand launch is a no no. Got it. Will have to find a better park to fly in so I can get a good takeoff roll.

I need to set the CG and make sure my battery is not sliding around.

Takeoff needs to gradually throttle up and not be straight out full throttle since the plane design requires speed for lift - hand launched, poor CG and HIGH torque caused an immediate stall and nose dive roll.

Banana Hobbies - good, FMS planes - good, Bobby as a pilot - BAD!!!
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:45 PM
Customer Support
Joined Nov 2010
252 Posts
Quote:
Found the answers on the forum...

http://goo.gl/JvUQg

Hand launch is a no no. Got it. Will have to find a better park to fly in so I can get a good takeoff roll.

I need to set the CG and make sure my battery is not sliding around.

Takeoff needs to gradually throttle up and not be straight out full throttle since the plane design requires speed for lift - hand launched, poor CG and HIGH torque caused an immediate stall and nose dive roll.

Banana Hobbies - good, FMS planes - good, Bobby as a pilot - BAD!!!
Good afternoon bmeeks24.
When I saw the hand launch part, that's where I went .
Can't hand launch that aircraft.
This is what I tell myself sometimes, "Epoxy fixes everything.".
I say it's time for round 3.
- Nancy
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:07 PM
Joined Jan 2011
14 Posts
Update - please help me troubleshoot...

OK - I finally got it off the ground (weather has been horrible here for park flying)... I think I need some advice. I flew my other planes to prove that I AM capable of flying... but flying this plane is still like putting socks on a rooster.

Please let me know what to try next.

OK - here is what happens...

Takeoff roll was short and sweet and up it went - I was happy for about 5 seconds. It then started to pitch up then stall out once i hit full throttle at about 15 feet. I couldn't get it to trim fast enough to feel comfortable so I brought it down and landed it.

I then trimmed it a bit on the ground in anticipation - took off again and still at 3/4 throttle it wanted to go nose high - I let it get more altitude and tried to go straight out. I made a slight left bank and it wanted to snap-roll and spiral - so I eased up on the controls. The remainder of the flight was like a rodeo bull ride. Battling between the planes desire to porpoise and spiral down.

There was no gentle bank - there was no straight and level. Finally made a death roll and nose dive into the dirt. Lost another prop and the motor mount seems loose.

What I know -- the control surfaces are in the middle hole and the TX is set up right. I THINK the CG is correct based on what I found online (fingers at the fattest part of the wing - about an inch back from the leading edge, plane upside down balancing) - does it need more nose weight? What else could make it so un-responsive to correction and hard to fly?

I flew my micro park flyer for another 20 minutes, that made it all better. I really want to get this bird flying!!!!! What am I doing wrong??????
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:31 AM
United States, CA
Joined May 2008
2,676 Posts
Good day bmeeks24,

May I know where your lipo battery is placed in the fuselage? Are you using the stock 1000mAh 2s lipo? I have read your details on this thread and others in entirety and would like to see if I may assist. Let's start with where the lipo is placed in the fuselage and what lipo and we can go from there. The 800mm A-1 Skyraider is one of my favorite park size warbirds. This aircraft shows no bad flight characters in any area, with one exception that like any other airplane, the wrong CG and not enough airspeed may cause a host of problems. On your link above about another author and the A-1 veering left on take off and hitting the dirt, that is 100% normal when flying just about any tail dragger. These birds are 4 channel and not a tricycle gear. Full throttle does not mean the airplane will track straight and take off. Right rudder on take of is a Must on 100 out of 100 tail dragger airplanes. Let's see if we can get your A-1 figured out. Again, we are all here to assist and make your experience better.

Regards,
Pete

Quote:
OK - I finally got it off the ground (weather has been horrible here for park flying)... I think I need some advice. I flew my other planes to prove that I AM capable of flying... but flying this plane is still like putting socks on a rooster.

Please let me know what to try next.

OK - here is what happens...

Takeoff roll was short and sweet and up it went - I was happy for about 5 seconds. It then started to pitch up then stall out once i hit full throttle at about 15 feet. I couldn't get it to trim fast enough to feel comfortable so I brought it down and landed it.

I then trimmed it a bit on the ground in anticipation - took off again and still at 3/4 throttle it wanted to go nose high - I let it get more altitude and tried to go straight out. I made a slight left bank and it wanted to snap-roll and spiral - so I eased up on the controls. The remainder of the flight was like a rodeo bull ride. Battling between the planes desire to porpoise and spiral down.

There was no gentle bank - there was no straight and level. Finally made a death roll and nose dive into the dirt. Lost another prop and the motor mount seems loose.

What I know -- the control surfaces are in the middle hole and the TX is set up right. I THINK the CG is correct based on what I found online (fingers at the fattest part of the wing - about an inch back from the leading edge, plane upside down balancing) - does it need more nose weight? What else could make it so un-responsive to correction and hard to fly?

I flew my micro park flyer for another 20 minutes, that made it all better. I really want to get this bird flying!!!!! What am I doing wrong??????
banana hobby is offline Find More Posts by banana hobby
Old May 08, 2013, 04:03 PM
Joined Jan 2011
14 Posts
Sorry for the late reply - I had a bunch of things going on and the plane has not been out of the closet since the last flight. I have to order some new props and re-glue the engine in - the last flight has knocked it off center and it is kind of loose in the nose. Now that the weather is beautiful - I plan to get back into the A1 cockpit.

Banana - I will need to double check, but to answer your questions. The battery is the stock as well as an extra battery that I ordered from you - I don't think it was a larger battery - I THINK they are identical.

Placement - there is really not a lot of room under the cockpit, so I THINK i inserted it as far forward as it would slide towards the nose so that there was more room for the wires and ESC. If I didn't do that - the cockpit would not sit so that the magnet would hold it together. If you can PM me your email address - I will send you pictures of the off-angle motor as well as the way I have the wires situated.

Thanks for your help in advance!!!