HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:13 PM
60 years of RC flying
Daedalus66's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Hi guys;
I realize I am probably going to cop some flak for the following, However after a number of attempts at trying to set the 9xr up, I will say that I think that while this appears to be a great radio, but trying to set this up is a bloody atrcious. I feel that there is no true step by step manual, no explanations of the possible results. At the moment I am trying to set up to fly my t-rex 500, with the dx-7 no prob futaba 9cap no prob, the xr, crap. The throttle will not close totally, and the throtte screen is blinking in and out, if I change to another model, the screen is solid, but throttle not operating, obviously it is something I am doing not the radios fault, it is something I have done,, but nowhere can you just read a manual to see why or how to fix it, no manual, you know the one that is clear, that comes with name brand radios.
Neal
I agree that more can and needs to be done to provide guidance on how to do things with the firmware. But two points are worth making.

First, I've heard very similar complaints about the DX7 and numerous other "mainstream" transmitters. There are very few radios that come with a manual that tells you how to do things. For the most part, they describe what the radio can do (its functions) and leave it to you (or some kind person) to figure out how to do any particular thing. I have a DX7 and I used it extensively for heli flying at one time. I had to turn to the Finless videos to understand how to set up a TRex 450 because the manual sure didn't do it.

Second, remember that developing and documenting the alternative firmware ER9X borrowed by HobbyKing for this transmitter is purely a voluntary effort. The only one benefiting financially is HK and their value-added is minimal when it comes to the firmware.

I agree the firmware can be a bit daunting at first, but that largely because its so different in presentation from the usual approach that most of us are familiar with. But once you "get" it, the simplicity and logic of the approach is wonderful.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:18 PM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
Unfortunatly, this radio that is being held up as the radio for the masses, the radio for the beginner, the radio for all. That is pretty funny, no manual, no true support from manafactuer as to how to set this radio up, from the get-go. Plenty on how to re-program how to assign switches etc etc made by users, which is great, but nothing on how to set up from the start. A real step by step tutorial.
Neal
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:37 PM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
I do agree with what you say about the lack of help from mainstream manufacturers, your rite about Finless Bob, I too learnt dx-7 setup there too, now you mention it, but the mainstream manufacturers at least have set out in there manuals enough information, that if your radio is doing this, try this, or this is the prob, for me I have some issues, but cannot find out the prob unless I post a looong explanation of whats happening, and hope for a response
Neal
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:41 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
101 Posts
This stand looks like maybe it could be used on the 9xR: http://www.helipal.com/airy-transmitter-holder.html
LowThudd is offline Find More Posts by LowThudd
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:09 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planex View Post
I got my 9xr today in the mail with my FrSky DJT module
Ordered on the 23rd December and received 5th Feb
Pretty happy with the transmitter, only complaint is the cross pad
The down and up button are really hard to push in
Sometimes I have to push it for a second time and much harder for it to select
Minor issue, not to fussed just a little annoying at times

You will never find a better transmitter for $50!

I also got the USBasp AVR Programming Device for ATMEL processors
Very easy to install and get working
Upgraded to er9x straight away as I've used it before!
I like the little software upgrades that have been made to the er9x since I last used it
Makes it more user friendly and more clear

I've got a question regarding er9x and 9xr;
I am trying to program the AUX3 switch for flaps
Have setup the mixing but I can't seem to find what number the switch is?

All the other switches such as TRN, AIL, ELV, THR show up on the main screen and ANA screen when selected
But the 3 position AUX3 doesn't

Thanks in advance!
Try these for the buttons, makes it easy to press and really accurate.
dinislam1395 is online now Find More Posts by dinislam1395
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:16 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
efx's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
LOL...nice...and you can get them at any office supply store, home depot, etc. I use those on other stuff too. They work great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinislam1395 View Post
Try these for the buttons, makes it easy to press and really accurate.
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:24 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Unfortunatly, this radio that is being held up as the radio for the masses, the radio for the beginner, the radio for all. That is pretty funny, no manual, no true support from manafactuer as to how to set this radio up, from the get-go. Plenty on how to re-program how to assign switches etc etc made by users, which is great, but nothing on how to set up from the start. A real step by step tutorial.
Neal
I've been putting a series of guides together here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820823

If you've got questions/suggestions/etc, feel free to leave a note and I'll try to cover it.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of heli stuff is pretty much limited to "that crash certainly looked expensive."
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:25 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efx View Post
LOL...nice...and you can get them at any office supply store, home depot, etc. I use those on other stuff too. They work great.
What exactly are those things called?
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:24 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
efx's Avatar
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Rubber feet...rubber pads is what I use. I know home depot has them and they are a bit bigger and cheaper, so that's what I buy. They also have the smaller ones if I remember correctly. I can't find them online, but I know they have them at the stores.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...er-Pads-Clear/

Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
What exactly are those things called?
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by efx; Feb 05, 2013 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:13 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Hi guys;
I realize I am probably going to cop some flak for the following, However after a number of attempts at trying to set the 9xr up, I will say that I think that while this appears to be a great radio, but trying to set this up is a bloody atrcious. I feel that there is no true step by step manual, no explanations of the possible results. At the moment I am trying to set up to fly my t-rex 500, with the dx-7 no prob futaba 9cap no prob, the xr, crap. The throttle will not close totally, and the throtte screen is blinking in and out, if I change to another model, the screen is solid, but throttle not operating, obviously it is something I am doing not the radios fault, it is something I have done,, but nowhere can you just read a manual to see why or how to fix it, no manual, you know the one that is clear, that comes with name brand radios.
Neal
What do you mean when you say " the throttle screen is blinking in and out"?
If the actual display is doing something then it sounds like a hardware problem. Not even sure there is a specific throttle screen.

Are you running the firmware that came on the radio?

You should as a minimum upgrade to the latest version through eePe or Companion9X. If you have not because you don't have a programmer - blame HK for not putting one in as they should have

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:24 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abletowinginc View Post
im having tonsof problems setting up for a 500 and 450 heli as well cant get swash to move correctly even with all the changes pat did its actually worse the 500 you did pat binds my swash and wont respond to some controls not sure what the heck is going on. can set up for a plane or multicopter in 5 seconds but heli sheesh
If you are getting frustrated and can be a bit patient, I will be back home in the same time zone in a week and I will have my 9X and a 450 heli that I can actually put my hands on.

I am sure we can get yours set up and working then, either through this thread or via email/skype/something.

(I am in Germany right now at the F3P world champs. Not using my 9X though . Not because of any programming advantage that my 9303 has, just because of the better sticks. Given my position in the contest, not sure it is making any difference )

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:46 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
If you are getting frustrated and can be a bit patient, I will be back home in the same time zone in a week and I will have my 9X and a 450 heli that I can actually put my hands on.

I am sure we can get yours set up and working then, either through this thread or via email/skype/something.

(I am in Germany right now at the F3P world champs. Not using my 9X though . Not because of any programming advantage that my 9303 has, just because of the better sticks. Given my position in the contest, not sure it is making any difference )

Pat MacKenzie
Congratulations... I love watching F3P videos on youtube!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:22 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
What exactly are those things called?
Their called Cabinet Door Domed Buffer Pads, Bumper Stops. I got some off ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3105277955...84.m1497.l2649
dinislam1395 is online now Find More Posts by dinislam1395
Last edited by dinislam1395; Feb 06, 2013 at 06:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:27 AM
Registered User
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
details

Quote:
Originally Posted by neale
Hi guys;
I realize I am probably going to cop some flak for the following, However after a number of attempts at trying to set the 9xr up, I will say that I think that while this appears to be a great radio, but trying to set this up is a bloody atrcious. I feel that there is no true step by step manual, no explanations of the possible results. At the moment I am trying to set up to fly my t-rex 500, with the dx-7 no prob futaba 9cap no prob, the xr, crap. The throttle will not close totally, and the throtte screen is blinking in and out, if I change to another model, the screen is solid, but throttle not operating, obviously it is something I am doing not the radios fault, it is something I have done,, but nowhere can you just read a manual to see why or how to fix it, no manual, you know the one that is clear, that comes with name brand radios.

then daedalus answered:
Neal
I agree that more can and needs to be done to provide guidance on how to do things with the firmware. But two points are worth making.

First, I've heard very similar complaints about the DX7 and numerous other "mainstream" transmitters. There are very few radios that come with a manual that tells you how to do things. For the most part, they describe what the radio can do (its functions) and leave it to you (or some kind person) to figure out how to do any particular thing. I have a DX7 and I used it extensively for heli flying at one time. I had to turn to the Finless videos to understand how to set up a TRex 450 because the manual sure didn't do it.

Second, remember that developing and documenting the alternative firmware ER9X borrowed by HobbyKing for this transmitter is purely a voluntary effort. The only one benefiting financially is HK and their value-added is minimal when it comes to the firmware.

I agree the firmware can be a bit daunting at first, but that largely because its so different in presentation from the usual approach that most of us are familiar with. But once you "get" it, the simplicity and logic of the approach is wonderful.

am showing the above because i have been experiencing difficulties too.
this is what i posted before:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez
regarding the calibration, from the moment i got it and plugged in the pack, it showed: 'throttle not idle, reset throttle', and when trying to calibrate, the position of the throttle shown was at the center, even if the stick was down. so far, after many times trying, and following instructions, i have been able to get rid of the 'throttle not idle', and it shows the throttle position where it really is, but still tells me to reset throttle. as i have the throttle down before start, it still says: 'alert; switch warning; please reset switches'; 'press any key to skip'.
then i went to the 9xr page at hobby king and through the manual at calibrating and did this:
Calibration (5/5)
This screen allows you to calibrate the analog channels (A1..A7).
The calibration method goes like this:
1. Press [MENU] → (SetMid)
2. Set Sticks to center. (Including throttle and pots)
3. Press [MENU] → (SetSpan)
4. Move sticks and pots through full range.
5. Press [MENU] → (Done) – Values are saved here.
6. Press [MENU] (Back to top)
The values are calculated when you press [MENU].
They are saved when you press [MENU] to (Done).
now it goes directly to the main screen, as it is supposed it has to do.

am not sure what i did exactly, as i tried several times, apparently same way.
my point is that, yes, there is a manual at the 9xr page of hobby king, but sometimes we new guys don't follow exactly, although thinking we are doing right. there are so many subtle details when pressing buttons and trying to follow instructions, that only with practice can be overcome. sometimes, as daedalus advises, the way we move the sticks when calibrating makes the difference: perhaps that's why i was not getting results.

this is the link to the manual of the 9xr: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...3X39217X34.pdf
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Last edited by phil alvirez; Feb 06, 2013 at 02:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:41 AM
Registered User
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
tray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
This stand looks like maybe it could be used on the 9xR: http://www.helipal.com/airy-transmitter-holder.html
terrific. thanks for the link. and the price is right.

now, is there any tray for this radio too?
at a reasonable price?

for the guys who like to hang the tx from their chest/neck.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Gens Ace, Turnigy, Turnigy Nano-Tech Sky lipo, etc. What's Your Preference? jlloyd1995 Batteries and Chargers 130 Nov 07, 2014 05:55 PM
Sold 2 turnigy motors 2 turnigy esc's crashnburn69 Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 4 Oct 13, 2012 12:05 PM
For Sale Turnigy 2x 3s 1000 mah and 2s 1000 mah and Turnigy 2s/3s Lipo charger. Falconpunch Aircraft - Electric - Batteries & Chargers (FS/W) 1 Mar 18, 2012 10:47 PM
Discussion Turnigy or Turnigy Nanotech lawguy14 Batteries and Chargers 4 Mar 15, 2012 09:48 AM