HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2014, 02:47 PM
Certifiable User
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Mar 2011
1,003 Posts
That Orange Vtail has me very envious

Trey - Putting a seam in a textreme wing skin is very common and works well. Even DLG's often have them. the edge of the roll has the warp hanging out about a inch so it makes for a perfect overlapped seam when done properly.

It sounds like you are getting your units of measurement mixed up. This type of fabric is either ounces per square yard or grams per square meter.

Check out fiber reinforcements on the RG composites website. It is a great reference source. Also note that the 64gram version is on sale now for ~$50/ meter

Carboline and other "no crimp" fabric are very nice as well. In my experience Kennedy has been 80% nonresponsive. This fellow RCG'er has been importing the same stuff with a different name http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=spread+tow

Lee
killercando is offline Find More Posts by killercando
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2014, 07:10 PM
United States, AL, Daphne
Joined Nov 2009
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercando View Post
It sounds like you are getting your units of measurement mixed up. This type of fabric is either ounces per square yard or grams per square meter.

Lee
I was going by the descriptions HERE The first fabric says "TeXtremeģ 1000 - HS 100gsm 2.95oz Spread Tow Carbon Fiber". The rolls are 1 meter wide but sold by the yard Also, 100 grams isn't 2.95 oz. so I'll have to ask what the actual weight is before a purchase. Either way, Textreme makes some light stuff. I've been in touch with a Textreme salesman who is going to tell me where to get Textreme that has a +45*,-45* weave so I won't have to do the seam you mention. One continuous piece would be better IMHO.

Trey
Trey4U is online now Find More Posts by Trey4U
Old Dec 13, 2014, 07:18 PM
War is over (if you want it)
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,665 Posts
Trey, 100gsm is 2.95oz/yd^2
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Old Dec 13, 2014, 07:21 PM
United States, AL, Daphne
Joined Nov 2009
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
Trey, 100gsm is 2.95oz/yd^2
Thanks! I wasn't thinking clearly about it!

So the fabric is listed with both weights, grams/sq. meter and oz./sq. yard.

Trey
Trey4U is online now Find More Posts by Trey4U
Last edited by Trey4U; Dec 13, 2014 at 07:34 PM.