HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2009, 05:36 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
Discussion
Video rca cables

Hi all this is an on going problem ive had. Why do some rca cables not work ,that say video and audio, with yellow red and white cables.
Ive had a few sets that work and others that simply dont put any video through .
Are there any specific types I should buy and should avoid.
Regards Liam.
L14m is offline Find More Posts by L14m
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2009, 06:21 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,573 Posts
What kind of cables did you have trouble with?

I have used some really cheap RCA vid cables and did not have any trouble....
but I didn't feel good about them, so I bought some better cables.

Maybe the one's that did not work for you, were cheap cables and the wire was broken internally?

Do you have a multimeter/ohmmeter you could use to measure the cable resistance?
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Nov 30, 2009, 02:41 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
Cheers they were just cheepy ones with red white and yellow standard leads. I will check with multi meter .
Regards Liam.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 05:01 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,568 Posts
I have some cheap cables and some veeeery cheap cables that I buy from some discount hardware stores locally. The difference between the cheap and the veeeeeery cheap ones is the lack of proper coaxial thickness for the yellow video cable. The dirty cheap ones have the some thin (approx. 4mm OD with the insulation) for all three (video and L/R audio) channels, while the cheap ones have thincker (approx.7-8mm) RG-58 looking coax. Also the dirt cheap ones have some more mould flash at the connectors insulations that might hurt your fingers , some of them go on the female RCA tight, some very tight, some ok, they don't have that moulded block that keeps the cables from pealing apart from each other, etc,etc....

Having said that all worked every time and I swear I couldn't tell any difference in video or audio quality.

Dimitris
Dimitris76 is offline Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Nov 30, 2009, 08:04 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
I dont know about you guys but my ground station was becoming a lot of messy cables, so I bought some RCA cables from these guys

http://www.retractablecables.com/

makes it nice and easy to set up and take down and the cables dont take up much room after I take the ground station down....
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Dec 01, 2009, 12:04 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L14m View Post
Hi all this is an on going problem ive had. Why do some rca cables not work ,that say video and audio, with yellow red and white cables.
Ive had a few sets that work and others that simply dont put any video through .
Are there any specific types I should buy and should avoid.
Regards Liam.
Are they RCA on both ends of the cable? You aren't talking the type that have the 1/8" headphone style connector on one side are you?
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 01, 2009, 01:25 PM
Electric Addict
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2002
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pibb View Post
Are they RCA on both ends of the cable? You aren't talking the type that have the 1/8" headphone style connector on one side are you?
you might be using an Ipod video cable and if so, it will work fine, its just that the video is now on the red cable, not the normal video cable...

thats so not so smart people have to pay the apple tax!
downeym is offline Find More Posts by downeym
Old Dec 01, 2009, 03:28 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
Mr pib I have had 2 lots of standard rca leads with rca connectors on each end which didnt work. I also have had 2 cables rca one end and head phone style the other end which didnt work. Ive used other cables of both discriptions and had no problems so im a little to why one type wouldnt work. I did have one of the rca cables with head phone the other end work but as said in the above post RED was video .
All video gear was properly working at the time lols.
Regards Liam.
Old Dec 01, 2009, 08:26 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,275 Posts
Liam,
Where is the signal coming from? A receiver? If so, what type? If it has the 1/8" headphone style connector there are many different standards for those types of connector. Some with two wires, some with three, some use different parts of the connector for video/audio/ground.
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:35 PM
Joined Apr 2009
1,587 Posts
Hi Mr Pib my video rx is a Hobbywireless 1.2ghz and the rca cable which came with it was about 8" long with red yellow and white and a head phone jack on the end .It worked intermittently at first and red was video. After a couple of flights it gave up the ghost , since then I've been using a rca cable with head phone jack from my nokia n96 which is a tv out cable. This seems to work well. I have that going into a video amplifier and my audio rca cables going into an audio amplifier. The reason for two separate amplifiers is my Headplay gogles were playing to bright so by plugging the video cable to video amplifier which has a level gain for 4 channels, I was able to turn down the gain to Head play goggles. But again some cables wouldn't put video out which was frustrating as it led me to think hardware was faulty at first until I found it was cables. The same cables would work with a ps3 to tv though, so I was confused even more lols. My reason for starting this thread was simply is there a difference between some rca cables whether they have rca s both ends or a head phone jack one end as I've had problems with both types even though when I compare the ones that work with the ones that don't theres doesn't seem to be any difference lols. I will also put a multi meter across when I get a chance.
Regards Liam.