Other - Recommend 5 5.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:22 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,843 Posts
Poll
What ALES devices are you using? Do you recommend them?

You can make multiple selections

For example I have the CAM which I use and I also recommend it so I clicked both boxes.

There are lots of discussions about what is available but I want to see what is actually in use and what people are happy to recommend.

LISF has informally standardized on the CAM from Soaring Circuits.
http://www.espritmodel.com/soaring-c...-cam-ales.aspx
http://www.soaringusa.com/Altitude-Limiter-CAM.html

Altis V4 – a couple of our members recently purchased these More expensive but more features
http://www.espritmodel.com/aerobtec-...4-fai-f5j.aspx

I have read mixed reports about the Hobby King unit with several reports of spontaneous motor restarts. Don't know any more than what I have read. Some reports good some not so good.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Airplane_.html

Sadly, Winged Shadow is gone.

I have seen posts about RC Altimeter #2 BASIC but have not seen one.
http://www.rc-electronics.org/index....=rc_alti2basic

I am sure there are others.

Let's see what is actually in use and what is recommended. Please post comments about what you are using and your experience.

Whats in your e-glider?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Apr 15, 2014 at 02:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2014, 10:32 AM
Hervey Bay, Sunny Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2001
1,781 Posts
CAM from Soaring Circuits. In my Horejsis Q12

http://www.modelflight.com.au/glider...composite.html

Works very well every time

Bought the HK altimeter first, and realised I wasted my money cause it doesn't work with CC ESCs. I soon after bought the Soaring Circuit altimeter with confidence because I have the RAM by SC and know that it works ;-)
Masterpiece is offline Find More Posts by Masterpiece
Last edited by Masterpiece; Apr 15, 2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:16 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,843 Posts
I have two Soaring Circuits CAM units. Flawless every time.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 01:01 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,612 Posts
I've had 6 CAMs, four went with aircraft when I sold them. Currently have two in service along with a Soaring Circuits RAM. All good stuff with zero problems and I would recommend both to anyone.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SUSA 4 metre Eagle for ALES/F5J
Old Apr 16, 2014, 05:55 AM
Skye Malcolm
Upper Arlington, OH
Joined Mar 2009
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
I've had 6 CAMs, four went with aircraft when I sold them. Currently have two in service along with a Soaring Circuits RAM. All good stuff with zero problems and I would recommend both to anyone.
+1 My experience with Randy's products is very similar in terms of the number I've owned and the trouble free nature of using them.
skye8070 is offline Find More Posts by skye8070
Old Apr 17, 2014, 06:35 AM
Rick Roberts
United States, MA, Montague
Joined Aug 2012
147 Posts
I used the CAM once last year, worked fine for ALES. Bought the Altis-V4 this year because of the F5J altitude reporting and will use this in my Supra-e this year.

Rick
fwroberts is offline Find More Posts by fwroberts
Old Apr 17, 2014, 08:23 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
I recently sold my CAM and purchased a ALtis V4.

1. I like the tech stuff. It can give a readout of lots of stuff, including the max altitude within 10 seconds after motor cutoff (from launch to cutoff) and is an altimeter so I can see how I am doing.

2. I think I have more interest in a F5J style contest than in ALES.

3. I can fine tune when my motor cuts off more accurately than the CAM unit I had. I can choose to turn off at say 188 M instead of 200M if I have a plane that can over zoom and still be within ALES rules. I can better tune my plane's launch and zoom this way.

4. If they ever enforce the anti zooming rule, it might bee necessary to have a way to retrieve the max altitude. CAM can't do this.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Apr 18, 2014, 09:17 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,843 Posts
29 responses so far.

About 80% are using the Soaring Circuits CAM.

About 38% are using the Altiris

No one using Basic and 2 using something else. No one is using the Hobby King unit.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:09 AM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,511 Posts
Altis. Very nice unit and I can use it in my DLG's as an altimeter as well as my E-gliders for ALES / F5J. It has the read out LED screen as well that's really nice. Harder to program than all of the others, but also more capable.
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old May 21, 2014, 09:36 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,843 Posts
Looks like 29 out of 42 use the CAM = 69%
Last edited by aeajr; Jun 08, 2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2014, 01:06 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,843 Posts
CAM still seems to be the most popular. 68%
Old Jun 08, 2014, 03:42 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined May 2012
62 Posts
Hk

Had 1 unexpected restart with the HK unit so I set restart to OFF and it works fine for ALES. Also have a CAM unit and it has always worked.
Stew
stewswanson is online now Find More Posts by stewswanson
Old Jun 09, 2014, 10:03 PM
Noob making progress
Australia, NSW, Mt Colah
Joined Oct 2012
330 Posts
I have been carrying out an extended evaluation of the HK (Flydream) limiter, just in my little 1200 Floater, before I trust a good plane to it. (I had a poor experience with a previous one.).

I will post a full report in my previous thred, but for a quick update:

Out of box, unit did not work properly. There was throttle surging, and on bench test, the time limiter did not work.
With a bit of detective work, I established that the problem was poor contact where the ESC lead was plugged onto the pin connector on the limiter.

It seems likely that this may have been the cause of the fatal malfunction of unit 1 above.

I suspect that distortion of the ESC JR connector sockets may be to blame, or it may be the AL pin size or shape.

Anyhow, I soldered a standard servo connector onto the pins, and added a short extension to the receiver port, so I am only plugging m/f servo connectors.

With that done, I have now been running the unit most weekends for the last 6 weeks. Typically 4-7 batteries a w/e. Each yielding up to 8 climb/glide cycles.

Unit has performed without any glitches, once the mod above made.

Function in altitude limit, with zero throttle restart, 50' restart, and no restart all worked fine.
Not many runs on time limit, but following seems to be the go. T/l only works if the plane climbs. Does not seem to function in ground test.

T/l ONLY works properly when restart disabled. Gives you timed run, and throttle only active after batt disconnect. (competition mode)

If restart set to zero throttle/max alt, or 50', only the initial run is timed. after restart, no timer operates.

One thing still to test is whether initial timers run is dependent on motor running, or independent of throttle position. I will get round to this.

Regarding download and recording, while a bit non-intuitive, once you work out the subtelties, easy to use.

All in all, I have no complaints, especially at the price. I don't know if it can be acceptable in contests, as I am nowhere near there yet

regards
AlastairL is offline Find More Posts by AlastairL
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:38 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,843 Posts
AlastairL,

Thanks for the report. I have heard mixed reports on the HK unit. Maybe the connector issue you discovered could be the cause.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 10:47 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,120 Posts
I find it interesting that 39 votes for use a CAM but only 34 recommend them where as the Altis 20 use them yet 23 recommend them.

It is interesting that more people recommend than use the Altis and for a product that has not been out as long as the CAM, it seems to be rather popular in such a short time.
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High