HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:50 AM
United States, WI, Oshkosh
Joined Feb 2013
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post
It's been a year since 5.0 was announced. Are there any plans for an update? (I haven't read through the whole thread yet, sorry!) Thanks
nope, not that I know of. I think we should expect a new model every month and that's it.
benskoning is offline Find More Posts by benskoning
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2015, 03:37 PM
a random dude
Joined Nov 2014
126 Posts
So last night I fired up Phoenix and there were a couple of new models. One was the E-Flite Carbon Z Yak 54. I was excited to try it - too bad, it flies like a log! or maybe a dog?

Why does every model come nose heavy? It's just weird. E-Flite/Horizon could be leveraging Phoenix to sell more product. But this does nothing for them. I'm not going to judge the plane based on what I've seen in the sim, but jeez.

I'd really like to know what their process is when they come out with a new model in Phoenix? I can move the COG back by editing, but there are other changes needed to make it fly decent. It's a sim, so I don't expect exact realism, but something that's at least sort of like it and fun.

I've been putting my money into planes, but I'm pretty sure I'll get a copy of RF and run that for awhile. I'm betting I'll like it better and just bail on Phoenix. I originally got Phoenix cuz it had the Horizon stuff I was interested in at the time. But the planes fly poorly and there's been no more major updates to the software, so what's the point?

Thanks for listening to the same rant that everyone else has made, it just took me awhile to get here.
sconnie is offline Find More Posts by sconnie
Old Feb 12, 2015, 03:47 PM
Joined Dec 2007
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnie View Post
So last night I fired up Phoenix and there were a couple of new models. One was the E-Flite Carbon Z Yak 54. I was excited to try it - too bad, it flies like a log! or maybe a dog?

Why does every model come nose heavy? It's just weird. E-Flite/Horizon could be leveraging Phoenix to sell more product. But this does nothing for them. I'm not going to judge the plane based on what I've seen in the sim, but jeez.

I'd really like to know what their process is when they come out with a new model in Phoenix? I can move the COG back by editing, but there are other changes needed to make it fly decent. It's a sim, so I don't expect exact realism, but something that's at least sort of like it and fun.

Why not log your concerns direct with the developers?

http://phoenix-sim.com/support.asp

They do listen.

Regards

Acrow
Acrow is offline Find More Posts by Acrow
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:26 PM
United States, NH, Nashua
Joined Mar 2011
360 Posts
Is any body else getting "all download servers are busy" message or is just me?
App says there are updates available but when I hit download Ibget that message,
Never seen it before.
Hawk600 is online now Find More Posts by Hawk600
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:00 AM
United States, WI, Oshkosh
Joined Feb 2013
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk600 View Post
App says there are updates available but when I hit download Ibget that message,
Never seen it before.
Just had that issue, wait a day or two and it should be fixed.
benskoning is offline Find More Posts by benskoning
Old Feb 13, 2015, 05:02 PM
Ottawa,Canada
Joined Dec 2003
116 Posts
Quote:
Never seen it before.
Oh yeah,I've been trying to down load the supposed updates now for a couple of weeks and I've been getting the same results as you.Your definitely not the only one experiencing this.Beats me whats been going on as of late with Phoenix but is definitely irritating and disappointing to say the least .
Turbobeaver is offline Find More Posts by Turbobeaver
Old Feb 13, 2015, 05:55 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,919 Posts
Quote:

I've been putting my money into planes, but I'm pretty sure I'll get a copy of RF and run that for awhile. I'm betting I'll like it better and just bail on Phoenix. I originally got Phoenix cuz it had the Horizon stuff I was interested in at the time. But the planes fly poorly and there's been no more major updates to the software, so what's the point?

Thanks for listening to the same rant that everyone else has made, it just took me awhile to get here.
I bought rf 7.5 about two months ago. much better physics on post stall. I have a few custom planes i practice with & thats all i need. Tbh looking at the settings on phoenix v5 they tried to implement the same settings & model customization as in rf. They failed (or they have a long steep hill to climb - depends how you see it). And now i have rf its better even compared to phoenix v4 post stall characteristics(from what i remember).. Tbh i don't see me going back to Phoenix v5 , v4 was ok but since everyone has upgraded no multiplayer etc there's no point anymore
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:05 PM
Joined Mar 2011
360 Posts
Ok guys got tired of getting that crap "all download servers are busy" message since yesterday, I found we can download the updates directly here:

http://www.phoenix-sim.com/downloads.asp

Just note the sim version they have available is 5.0R instead the current 5.0V so be carefull not to downgrade your sim version if you already on V.
I am anxious to try the Yak54 even if there are reports it flies like crap, I will try adjust the plane on advanced setting like must of the planes I fly on Phoenix.
Last edited by Hawk600; Feb 13, 2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:33 PM
Joined Mar 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
Sconnie, I downloaded the CZ Yak 54 3X and yes it sux if left stock but I tweaked mine trying to replicate my real one and I think is closer now, to the ones not familiar, you need to go to model Advanced menu.

Physical was changed to 100%, it comes at just 39% normally other planes are default at 50%.
I also corrected the CG to fly neutral even inverted at 50/60% throttle, to do that just change CG axis Z to -0.24 instead stock 0 ot tweak to your taste.
Thrust was default to 90% and I just moved it to 100%
Finally went to propeller and changed volume to 65% and pitch to 90%.

These are quick tweaks and personalized to my taste but certainly made the plane fly better and to your point Sconnie I think they have new pilots in mind when release heavy nose and down rated planes like that.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:17 PM
a random dude
Joined Nov 2014
126 Posts
Quote:
Sconnie, I downloaded the CZ Yak 54 3X and yes it sux if left stock but I tweaked mine trying to replicate my real one and I think is closer now, to the ones not familiar, you need to go to model Advanced menu.

Physical was changed to 100%, it comes at just 39% normally other planes are default at 50%.
I also corrected the CG to fly neutral even inverted at 50/60% throttle, to do that just change CG axis Z to -0.24 instead stock 0 ot tweak to your taste.
Thrust was default to 90% and I just moved it to 100%
Finally went to propeller and changed volume to 65% and pitch to 90%.

These are quick tweaks and personalized to my taste but certainly made the plane fly better and to your point Sconnie I think they have new pilots in mind when release heavy nose and down rated planes like that.
Thanks for looking at that. I made the same changes as you. I set Physical - Setup to 100% for everything always! I had already moved the COG even further back than you, -.394" (-.01 m). I think it could go even further back for better 3D without inducing bad tendencies, but that's just like real life as different pilots have their preferences.
I also had already changed thrust to 100%. The changes you made under Propeller only affect the sound, don't they?
sconnie is offline Find More Posts by sconnie
Old Feb 20, 2015, 09:14 PM
Joined Mar 2011
360 Posts
Correct, the changes on Propeller option only affect sound, I tweaked a bit to my taste and still far from reality but is better, I think model sound is one of the weakest points of this sim, the plane goes far away but the sound still closer.

I also noticed they adding too many (to my taste) expo and dual rates so I lowered both check that.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 09:16 PM
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Dec 2009
440 Posts
Quote:

I love my 3X but it actually is nose heavy, lol
Yeti1234 is offline Find More Posts by Yeti1234
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:58 PM
United States, MD, St Mary's
Joined Apr 2013
243 Posts
I had heard some grumblings a while back about Phoenix 5, so I had delayed updating it. Figuring that a year later, maybe things might have been straightened out. Guess I should have checked back prior to updating this weekend. So far, the update is not real impressive and I haven't really used my sim much in the past year or two, so it's not like I can pinpoint lots of specific differences that I want to gripe about. The nose-heavy feel of most models is frustrating. I had visions of starting to learn some basics of 3D flight with Phoenix before moving on to the real deal that can actually break. Not sure how realistic that is given the issues this thing seems to have with the physics now.
Snardo is offline Find More Posts by Snardo