HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM
20 years on the Internet
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2012
956 Posts
Bix 2 Stall Factor

I have a Bix 1.1 and a ver 2. I use both for FPV. Both are setup with autopilot and 5200 mah Batteries.

The Bix 1.1 has never stalled. The Bix 2 stalls if you look at it the wrong way.

So far no crashes but you have to be ever vigilant when flying the 2. I'm used to making lazy circles over a target on the 1.1. Do that on the 2 and you may get alot closer to the target in a hurry if your not careful.

The stalls are pretty easy to get out of. Turn into it. Give it some gas. Get some speed and pull out. Just annoying on an otherwise decent plane.

Anything folks are doing besides keeping air speed up to reduce the stall? I'm getting pretty close to turning the plane into a park flyer and pulling gear off. Bad stall and FPV plane can be the kiss of death. Had the same kind of issues with the FPV raptor.

Can anyone report on the Bix 3?

NS TIA
Nightstone is online now Find More Posts by Nightstone
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
12,580 Posts
My Bix2 is 1.35Kg and I have never stalled it in any manner that matters - if it did it was a straight benign stall. Just a nose drop and off it keeps going.
Though I fly mainly at 45kph region. But also lower sometimes. So it seems mine stalls at about 25kph to 30kph.
I balance it anywhere from the spar CAP (foam) front edge, to its rear edge - which is a fair range for the wing's chord really. I know that is all it ever alters for the various batteries I use. I can't tell any difference in flight over that CofG range.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
My Bix2 is 1.35Kg and I have never stalled it in any manner that matters - if it did it was a straight benign stall. Just a nose drop and off it keeps going.
Though I fly mainly at 45kph region. But also lower sometimes. So it seems mine stalls at about 25kph to 30kph.
I balance it anywhere from the spar CAP (foam) front edge, to its rear edge - which is a fair range for the wing's chord really. I know that is all it ever alters for the various batteries I use. I can't tell any difference in flight over that CofG range.
My experience is exactly the same as yours
gbmarsh is online now Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Today, 11:23 AM
"Doc"
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Dec 2014
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstone View Post
I have a Bix 1.1 and a ver 2. I use both for FPV. Both are setup with autopilot and 5200 mah Batteries.

The Bix 1.1 has never stalled. The Bix 2 stalls if you look at it the wrong way.

So far no crashes but you have to be ever vigilant when flying the 2. I'm used to making lazy circles over a target on the 1.1. Do that on the 2 and you may get alot closer to the target in a hurry if your not careful.

The stalls are pretty easy to get out of. Turn into it. Give it some gas. Get some speed and pull out. Just annoying on an otherwise decent plane.

Anything folks are doing besides keeping air speed up to reduce the stall? I'm getting pretty close to turning the plane into a park flyer and pulling gear off. Bad stall and FPV plane can be the kiss of death. Had the same kind of issues with the FPV raptor.

Can anyone report on the Bix 3?

NS TIA
I am a new pilot, and have the Bix 2. I have only stalled it once out of approx 60 total logged mins of flying. Was trying to glide less than three mistakes high, it went nose down a bit, and then I reacted erroneously. Other than that, its the plane I may land upside down, but not stalling it.
mjgravina is online now Find More Posts by mjgravina